Willy Nillies Eaglet 250 Build

speedbirdted

Legendary member
I believe @Willy Nillies asked for flight footage ;)

This is a pretty wimpy excuse for a flight, I know. 10-15 mph super turbulent winds pretty much dashed any chance of smooth flying. But, this is the only day projected this week where it's not either supposed to be thunderstorming or have 25 mph winds, so I just rolled with it. Plane still handled it pretty well!

The landing dislodged the fairing from one side of the landing gear (I came in with too little speed, oops) so I guess I have to fix that now...

Willy Nillies

Elite member
I believe @Willy Nillies asked for flight footage ;)

This is a pretty wimpy excuse for a flight, I know. 10-15 mph super turbulent winds pretty much dashed any chance of smooth flying. But, this is the only day projected this week where it's not either supposed to be thunderstorming or have 25 mph winds, so I just rolled with it. Plane still handled it pretty well!

The landing dislodged the fairing from one side of the landing gear (I came in with too little speed, oops) so I guess I have to fix that now...

Hey SpeedBirdTed,

Congrats! Please send us an email with your full name for your discount coupon for completion! :)

Sincerely,
Doug and Becky
WillyNillies.com

speedbirdted

Legendary member
Hey SpeedBirdTed,

Congrats! Please send us an email with your full name for your discount coupon for completion! :)

Sincerely,
Doug and Becky
WillyNillies.com
Thanks! What's the address? I looked on the website but didn't see it. Maybe I'm just blind. :p

Last edited:

speedbirdted

Legendary member
Nevermind I think I found it. Just sent an email through the website.

A question I forgot to ask - I noticed the 1/4A completion kit has a battery included but i don't think it comes with servos. Problem is I don't have servos that will fit in a Q-tee but I have craploads of batteries that will. I wonder if I could get the servos instead of a battery?

Last edited:

Willy Nillies

Elite member
Hi Ted,

Completion coupon for $25 off has been sent. Thank you for participating!

There are 2 levels of completion kits. Basic and Deluxe. Basic does not include servos. Deluxe does.

Please let us know if you have any more questions or need anything else.

Thank you again for sharing your awesome build!

Sincerely,
Doug and Becky
WillyNillies.com

speedbirdted

Legendary member
Hi Ted,

Completion coupon for $25 off has been sent. Thank you for participating!

There are 2 levels of completion kits. Basic and Deluxe. Basic does not include servos. Deluxe does.

Please let us know if you have any more questions or need anything else.

Thank you again for sharing your awesome build!

Sincerely,
Doug and Becky
WillyNillies.com
Ah, okay. That makes sense. Thanks again!

speedbirdted

Legendary member
Here's some better flight footage, with less wind. I keep overestimating the landing speed for this thing. That's the reason the prop sounds terrible - the first flight of today I bounced it and then cartwheeled on landing, which luckily the only thing it damaged was the prop balance. I fixed it in the field with some careful bending of the prop adapter but I think it'll still need another prop anyway. :p

Unfortunately my Q-Tee kit I ordered hasn't shipped yet. Per Doug from facebook they're all out of stock for motors and ESCs and shipping has really been on the fritz lately. Guess I can use the time to get my workshop in order...

speedbirdted

Legendary member
No, I didn't forget about the floats part :p

P_20200615_220316.jpg

Stupid late, I know. Weird as the little Eaglet is logging tons of flight time lately - it's the only plane I have that will consistently fit in my car and still allow other planes in with it. I haven't been doing hardly any float flying though. I wanted to put floats on my Kadet but the lake I have access to is far too small to allow it. I considered a few different approaches to the floats - first idea was sections of insulation foam hotwired out and sanded to shape, but that seemed too easy and didn't fit the rest of the build :p Now that I've got all the power tools set up in my workspace I can do some real work with balsa.

First order of business - making the "frame", I guess that's what you'd call it. My original idea was to have the front underside longeron run all the way up to the very tip of the float but then the sheeting would have to make a weird compound curve there not to mention the ridiculous number of relief cuts the longeron itself would need, so I just went with a nose block. I built this out of hard balsa.

P_20200615_225038.jpg

And of course, one float by itself is pretty much useless, so I built a second one :p I also got to attaching the templates to two sandwiched sheets of 1/16 balsa, all with a light coat of 3M Super 77. The formers are in halves because I'm going to build one half of the float lying down and the other attached standing up. Now, astute readers will notice a particular screwup here - I only cut enough formers to make one float! Argh, and the scroll saw turned my templates into dust so I need to draw more.

They look a little rough here - this is before I went in and sanded all the edges down to size.

P_20200616_001305.jpg

And, here's the massive, in retrospect, screw up that caused large amounts of language that I cannot put on a public forum to be unleashed from my mouth after I noticed it. The formers - the fit is terrible! I thought it might be a bad idea to try and cut out the 1/8x1/16 gaps with the scroll saw, and it turned out it ruined the fit so badly that of all the formers I cut out these are only the ones that fit semi-nicely!

P_20200616_002356.jpg

I didn't even bother gluing them in, since I'm going to make a set of completely new ones. I needed new templates anyway so I guess now I'll cut the little gaps to fit on the frame with an x-acto and hopefully get a much better fit...

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
To make nice fitting notches in the formers, consider gluing / taping a bit of sand paper (or nail file) to a scrap piece of the spar and just sanding the notches in place. I've found that to be much easier - and with some 220 or 180 grit it's a lot faster than you might think!

speedbirdted

Legendary member
Ok let's try this again. Cut out more formers on the scroll saw (intentionally only enough for one float since i didn't know whether my new method would be successful) and you'll notice these both all have no notches in them and are a constant size - they get shorter as they go down the length of the float, but I figured to get a better fit it would be better to cut the formers to size individually with an x-acto.

P_20200616_205950.jpg

I cut the notches using two popsicle sticks, one wrapped in 100 and the other 200 grit sandpaper. The fit is now much, much better!

P_20200616_231003.jpg

I still do not have the nose block cut out yet. That's next up. Originally I intended to sheet it in 1/16 balsa but I found a sheet of 1/32 which I forgot about and I'm gonna use that instead to save some weight.

Turbojoe

Elite member
Good stuff! Not much water to fly from here in the Phoenix area so not an option for me but I still love to see people doing float plane projects. I'd love to try it some day.

Joe

Turbojoe

Elite member
I have a spare N.I. B. Willy Nillies Eaglet 250 kit. I haven't yet decided what sort of abomination is in store for that build. I don't think I modified the last build quite enough. LOL...... :eek::sneaky:

Joe