Hello from Alaska

Hi folks! I just joined the forum, and also just purchased my first FT plane, an Explorer starter kit with radio to hopefully launch me into the fixed wing fpv and video world. A little about me: I'm in the US Coast Guard stationed in Kodiak, Alaska. I've been a crew member and mechanic on HC130H aircraft for ten years. I've been a pilot and aircraft mechanic most of my life too. Currently I'm a Flight Engineer, but years ago I used to operate the C130's inflight sensor systems, which is where my interest in aerial video comes from. Not many jobs let you covertly chase drug runners in the pacific one day, and search the Bering Sea for lost mariners the next. Anyway, I've been a fan of FT for a long time and am really excited to get in the air and hopefully make some great video of my amazing home. Also, my username comes from the flight checklist response in my everyday job, my wife says I say it in my sleep sometimes.

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic
Hi great to have you, and WOW you worked on Herc's I love those planes.

Welcome to the addiction!

TEAJR66

Flite is good
Mentor
Hello and welcome to the forums. Lots of help around here. Ask questions as they arise. Share pics and vids of your accomplishments, and failures. Without video evidence, it did not happen. Can't wait to see the video that comes out of Kodiak.

kadon

Hi folks! I just joined the forum, and also just purchased my first FT plane, an Explorer starter kit with radio to hopefully launch me into the fixed wing fpv and video world. A little about me: I'm in the US Coast Guard stationed in Kodiak, Alaska. I've been a crew member and mechanic on HC130H aircraft for ten years. I've been a pilot and aircraft mechanic most of my life too. Currently I'm a Flight Engineer, but years ago I used to operate the C130's inflight sensor systems, which is where my interest in aerial video comes from. Not many jobs let you covertly chase drug runners in the pacific one day, and search the Bering Sea for lost mariners the next. Anyway, I've been a fan of FT for a long time and am really excited to get in the air and hopefully make some great video of my amazing home. Also, my username comes from the flight checklist response in my everyday job, my wife says I say it in my sleep sometimes.

Welcome! I hope you have all sorts off fun with your new FT Explorer!

JimCR120

Got Lobstah?
Site Moderator
Thank you for your service. Do you have an easier name to call you?

I haven't built or flown that though I have had experience with something similar. One imprtant thing about those I would share is something I've heard about that particular aircraft. The wings might fold while performing normal g maneuvers. You might want to add a little reinforcement (beefier spar) to help prevent having the wings fold on a dive. Keep us posted (photos are authorized and encouraged) on your progress.

Welcome to the forum.
—Jim

Heinrich

Teaching my son
I'd like to second that: Thank you for your service. Coast Guard has such a cool mission.

I am also building my first FT and look forward to sharing it with my son. By that, I mean, watching him crash it!

Howdy folks, I go by Colin, a little easier to say than my username. Anyway, I completed and maidened my FT Explorer a few weeks ago. I built the 3 channel wing and took it out to my local golf driving range. All checks went well, wind at the surface was nil and it was a bright sunny day. I had a buddy launch it and away it went. I was surprised how unresponsive the aircraft became once I got up to about 50 feet. It was then that I realized that I was above the treetops, and with a 2500 foot peak just behind me, winds aloft were screaming. I managed to land it on some soft snow, but by then it had flown about 300 yards downrange. It was upright so I just gave her full throttle and she willingly lifted.

A few more turns in the pattern and I was feeling pretty confident, so I took her for a nice lazy loop around the edge of the field. It was then that I realized my eyes aren't as good as they used to be, because the 60' tall cottonwood looked a lot further away. We watched in horror as the beautiful beast smacked into the rats nest of tall branches, hung for a second before the wing departed and fluttered to the ground like an oversized maple seed.

She was stuck! I wasn't so much worried about the $39 foam board kit as I was the brand new rx, esc, motor, battery and servos. I hiked across the field with the transmitter still on thinking I could power it up and plow through the branches. When I arrived, to my horror I saw that the prop nut had backed off, and my motor was spinning away happily with the prop sitting still. After a few minutes I conceded defeat, accepted my sacrifice to the RC gods, and drove home. Two weeks later I decided to go check on the wreck, and to my surprise, the crippled explorer was gone. A quick hike found the fuselage completely intact at the base of the tree, and aside from a little bit of paper peeling at the edges, was totally flyable. The nose and battery were laying a few feet away. Everything was soaking wet from the solid Kodiak rains but I decided to plug it in just to see. I figured everything would be a loss but when I plugged it in, the little plane beeped and jiggled to life! I hiked back to my truck, tossed the Explorer in the back seat and called my dogs over. As I was closing the back door, my enthusiastic Australian Shepherd ran past and wormed his way into the back seat, landing directly on the explorer, completely crushing it!

So now I have my complete B pack, a miraculously still good battery and all my radio gear. My wife got me a new B pack for my birthday before I recovered the Explorer, so now the only thing left to do is decide which one to build next (and wait for a calmer day)

Cheers!

foamtest

Toothpick glider kid
Sounds like a lot of fun, and I can't wait to see what you build next. Also try and put a gopro or some sort of action camera on that sucker and get some footage of Alaska for us down here in the lower 48!