• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Help I.D. an Old, Red Racer?

mrjdstewart

I was given this beauty a few weeks ago for helping out another club work on their field. the prior owner has no idea except that it is old (he is 85+) and i have not had any luck with getting an identification. i would like to get it back in the air but would like to gather as much info as possible before i attempt it.

any help is appreciated.

20190112_161053.jpg

pretty sure it was a gasser that got converted at some point but who knows.

thanks,

me :cool:

JTarmstr

I was given this beauty a few weeks ago for helping out another club work on their field. the prior owner has no idea except that it is old (he is 85+) and i have not had any luck with getting an identification. i would like to get it back in the air but would like to gather as much info as possible before i attempt it.

any help is appreciated.

View attachment 122946

pretty sure it was a gasser that got converted at some point but who knows.

thanks,

It looks like a Skywing edge 540 with a thinner fuselage. I searched arround and thats all I could find, sorry. Any chance its custom?

mrjdstewart

ran out of other projects i wanted to work on so i pulled it off the wall and dusted it off.

glad i did because Houston, have a few problems. :LOL:

let's start with the motor mount...

20190202_160323.jpg

20190202_160335.jpg

sorry for bad pics but obviously we may need to reconsider our mounting arrangement. :ROFLMAO:

motor is a PHASOR, JETI model Brushless 15-4.

never had one, but i'm thinking i got a NiMH ESC? may need to replace that . :sneaky:

20190202_162618.jpg

one of my main concerns is CG. i'm not seeing a place where he was stashing the battery? if he was using heavier NiMH instead of Lipo's that could make things very interesting. :oops:

the wing is a bottom mount and held in with 2 bolts.

20190202_161239.jpg

20190202_161304.jpg

the more i work on it the more i see how beautiful the plane is. it was definitely built by someone who knew what they were doing...

20190202_164002.jpg

thanks again for any help.

Keno

Been looking at the wing design and it sure looks like the wing identifies it as "fun fly" type plane and it is also it build is light construction. I think this was a person that liked "Fun Fly" and put beauty into it design. I sent this to a old flyer to see what he had to say about it. If I find anything I will get back to you. The CG should be about on the spar.

mrjdstewart

ya, it looks the part but is definitely not my plane. fuselage arrangement and access is completely diff.

thanks for looking, i appreciate it.