Hey YOU! New girl or new guy, shut up and listen (or: My Simple scout build thread)

hiroshiman

Hey, that topic is alive :) I forgot to set notifications, I've been busy doing nothing and also cutting parts for the mighty mini DR1.

Weather here is horrible too. Welcome to winter “flying” aka building tons of new planes to crash in spring.
Yup, this week-end it was a good excuse to stay home. None of you have planes on skis ? I would love to try that.

No the motor would not have ended up in the aquarium. It would have proken the prop, spun up a mess in the wires, cut the crap out of everything in the front and bend the pins on the radio. Trust me on that one. Them esc to motor connections are hard to pull apart.
FYI: I guarantee that you'll never get to do all the stupid stuff I survived with RC airplanes. With all the combined "Wow I lived through that? " On this site it will be even harder. "Don't do that at home, trust us, we're experts"

Man, I'de rather twist it all than emptying the 200 liters aquarium in the living room. I'm sure I will get my share of stupid things, I already started it seems.

To me that looks like a place on your receiver to plug in an RPM, AMP and voltage/temperature sensor.
Sometime a person needs the mindset that they are setting up a crash test just to see how the plane holds together. Think boy I want to see a really great crash. You don't feel as bad if you do crash and smile bigger if you don't.
I can't put my hand on that post or link right now, but I read recently someone stating that you just need the right cable/adaptor (mini JST?), I guess it connects to the balance cable of the battery (does it ?). I will dig that post.
On the mindset topic, well it's totally my mindset.

I find it easier to ground take off then hand. the Simple cub gets wild sometime but the scout is really good at take off and landing. Hold full up elevator then throttle up slowly. This will keep the tail on the ground and help the plane to go straight.
Got it! Oh boy I would try right now if I could. I'm not completely sure where to fly it yet. That place is like 200 meters wide, it's my pick for now.

Telemetry sensors tend to vary, but voltage sensors often just end up being a cable with the right connectors and dirt cheap.
A healthy respect for lipos is good, being scared of them is unwarranted. If using a reasonably good balance charger, and not storing them charged, you will be mostly ok. Best to store them in a metal box, cook pot, lipo bag, ect if leaving for long periods. Also best to charge them in a fire proof container like a metal bowl or pot with a lid if charging in the house. That all said. Only pieces of my advise I follow are a good charger and not storing charged (when I remember), and have never had a fire or smoke show. Believe it or not, even shooting one fully charged with a 45 acp round did not cause a fire.
I'am scared. they are sitting in their fireproof bags, on a lasagna plate, under the tv.

Please tell me this is a correct enough charger. I haven't tried it yet.
TURNIGY E3 COMPACT 2S/3S LIPO CHARGER 100-240V (EU PLUG)

@hiroshiman - three weeks ago I totalled my sailplane and today it is back with a new 3D printed fuse and a new tail - will it fly - it will of course, as someone told me anything will fly with enough power! It is true I have built a few planes and it is also true my flying time is limited, but what I can say is that if you follow plans, reference other planes that are similar, and generally build to a specification, it will fly!

With props, I have never flown with anything other than a 1000kv motor and a slow fly prop - from the TT to a 1.5m sailplane they have worked for me.

For weight, a light plane will fly easier, but just under a kg has been great for my learning - recently I had some time slope soaring and the opposite was the norm (I had to add 400g of ballast just to stay in the air)!

For balance I have stuck with having the CG at about 30% of the wing from the leading edge and that has served me well!

So many people said it will fly that I'm now completely sure it will, the new question is: How long? Wether I crash it or manage to keep it in the air. I can't wait to check that on the field (y) Thanks for the encouragement.

I had to add 75gr in the nose to achieve balance, if I remember well it ends up weighting 700 or 750 gr.

hiroshiman

Lol - mine ended up wayy nose heavy😂 I was too lazy to add tail weight, so I just flew it nose heavy, and it flew fine. Not ideal, but still flew well. Probably wouldn’t be as pretty when it gets that tail heavy though...
I could definitely Google it, but I will ask the experts. Why is it harder to fly a tail heavy plane ?

Piotrsko

Master member
Old man says: tail heavy makes it EXTREMELY sensitive to control inputs which may not have enough power in the surfaces to correct. If you want to fly a real tail heavy plane the elevator/horizontal stab needs to be almost as big as the wing. Poul de ceil, a Henri Mignet design comes to mind. Aka tandem wing.
The 3D acrobat people move their CG back some to get those almost instant direction changes. Not conducive to beginning pilots.

On the other hand, if you use tail surfaces that are 20-30% of the wing, the CG location becomes not critical, say +/- 3inches from the high point.

Last edited:

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
Got it (y) I have a lot to learn.

Hey, so you think this charger is OK for safety? TURNIGY E3 COMPACT 2S/3S LIPO CHARGER 100-240V (EU PLUG)
A tail heavy plane flies once because it's blasted difficult to fly. It just doesn't want to. Generally the best the most of us can do is just try to get the plane to ground without killing it. The first time you have a tail heavy plane, you'll see exactly what I mean. ;) A telltale sign is that the plane only wants to go up and into a loop.

As for your charger, I'd say that it is the absolute minimum. If you just need something to get you into the air, that will do it. It won't care for your batteries, though. You need to be able to discharge to 40% for storage, or the batteries suffer. The two biggest investments you will make in this hobby will be your transmitter and your charger. You can cut some corners with the TX and upgrade later, though that increases the investment. If you're going to care for your batteries, you want a good charger as soon as you can get one. This is the one I use, and I highly recommend it:

https://www.amainhobbies.com/hitec-...1lQNq9qn7zukvbrC5dTgDwdLC9jwnPuwaAgEAEALw_wcB

Headbang

Master member
Got it (y) I have a lot to learn.

Hey, so you think this charger is OK for safety? TURNIGY E3 COMPACT 2S/3S LIPO CHARGER 100-240V (EU PLUG)
Yes for "safety" it will work, but @buzzbomb is correct. A good smart charger is almost a must. Brand is a matter of opinion. What ever it is it should have a screen so you know what is going on, 1s-6s compatibility so it lasts you into what ever you do in the future, needs to have both balance charge and storage charge/discharge options to make it easy to maintain your batteries. Wattage is just a matter of time it takes to charge, pick too little and all it does is takes longer. 2 ports or more is super handy. Ac/dc is super handy, AC for at home, DC for at the field (if ac only you will need an inverter or generator to charge at the field, if dc only you will need a dc power supply ar home)

Personally I have a hitec 4 port ac charger at home for bench charging (only works good for 1-4s batteries and would be perfect for most people here) and at the field I use 2 1400W dc only 2 port hitech chargers connected to deep cycles wired to provide 24v (crazy high end setup for rapidly charging 4 6s 5000mAh at a time with a 2C rate and able to charge 48 of those before having to plug in)

To do this hobby right, spending $150CAD for a charger, $250CAD for a transmitter is what I consider in my "opinion" to be a good starting point.

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
A tail heavy plane flies once because it's blasted difficult to fly. It just doesn't want to. Generally the best the most of us can do is just try to get the plane to ground without killing it. The first time you have a tail heavy plane, you'll see exactly what I mean. ;) A telltale sign is that the plane only wants to go up and into a loop.
I’ve got a great video of one of my planes doing a loop at Flitefest this year - It doesn’t always mean tail heavy!

hiroshiman

Old man says: tail heavy makes it EXTREMELY sensitive to control inputs which may not have enough power in the surfaces to correct. If you want to fly a real tail heavy plane the elevator/horizontal stab needs to be almost as big as the wing. Poul de ceil, a Henri Mignet design comes to mind. Aka tandem wing.
The 3D acrobat people move their CG back some to get those almost instant direction changes. Not conducive to beginning pilots.
On the other hand, if you use tail surfaces that are 20-30% of the wing, the CG location becomes not critical, say +/- 3inches from the high point.

Interesting thanks. I just read abut the Pou du ciel, it's a great story, and a bad looking plane :)

hiroshiman

As for your charger, I'd say that it is the absolute minimum. If you just need something to get you into the air, that will do it. It won't care for your batteries, though. You need to be able to discharge to 40% for storage, or the batteries suffer. The two biggest investments you will make in this hobby will be your transmitter and your charger. You can cut some corners with the TX and upgrade later, though that increases the investment. If you're going to care for your batteries, you want a good charger as soon as you can get one. This is the one I use, and I highly recommend it:
https://www.amainhobbies.com/hitec-...1lQNq9qn7zukvbrC5dTgDwdLC9jwnPuwaAgEAEALw_wcB
I will have to discharge them in the plane and check the battery level I guess. I spent too much already, but soon I will put some money in a good one. Thanks

hiroshiman

Cheers everyone!

So I will attempt my first ever RC plane flight this afternoon, which will also be the maiden flight of my Simple Scout.

I setup expo at 20% on every channels, following a bit of reading and guessing. It's balanced and a bit nose heavy. If you have last second advice now is the time. Oh, by the way, I've put one antenna along the fuselage and one hanging under the plane. Right way to go ?
I will also attempt to ground take off from a little rural road, and if possible land it in one piece.

I "tried" decorating it but I think I s**k at it... Anyway, here's what it looks like before it's maiden flight:

Face.jpg

Under.jpg

Zetoyoc

Elite member
Cheers everyone!

So I will attempt my first ever RC plane flight this afternoon, which will also be the maiden flight of my Simple Scout.

I setup expo at 20% on every channels, following a bit of reading and guessing. It's balanced and a bit nose heavy. If you have last second advice now is the time. Oh, by the way, I've put one antenna along the fuselage and one hanging under the plane. Right way to go ?
I will also attempt to ground take off from a little rural road, and if possible land it in one piece.

I "tried" decorating it but I think I s**k at it... Anyway, here's what it looks like before it's maiden flight:

View attachment 147660
View attachment 147661
The plane looks wonderful to me. I maidened a mini scout Friday and loved the way it flew. Good luck. I am sure it will be fun.

FDS

Elite member
I would go for throw launching over ground takeoff every time.
Stated expo is 30% on the scout. I also reduced my aileron throw by another degree or two over recommended low rates whilst I was learning. I have rates on a switch so if I needed more it was just a flick away.
If you need help setting up the dual rates I have all that on my Orange TX still.
Don’t let anyone rag you about needing a high $ TX to fly, my Orange one was €60 second hand and is still my main fixed wing radio, it’s NEVER given me loss of signal or any reliability problems and has been rugged and easy to set up.
Its way better than the entry level Spektrum radios, having a proper screen and the DSMX compatibility with Horizon Hobby planes works great.
If your antenna are 90deg apart and in two different ”planes” e.g. one vertical, one horizontal and away from motors, ESC’s and the battery then you will be fine. Range check before you fly.
I think your Scout looks superb, a very tidy build, well done.
If you get in the air, that now makes you an RC PILOT (in training!) Well done for that too. Many people go their whole lives without building something that flies.