• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Hi from Minnesota and question on broken mini helicopter to plane conversion

Hello everyone. Just found Flite Test in the last month when I started getting interested in quad copters. I just have a small viper quad so far.
I have a Dumas Windy airboat with a OS .20 engine that I built about 20 yrs ago. Lots of fun. Except last week, the boat scooted forward after I started it up and put a nice 2" gash in my hand. 6 stitches later... Safety!!

So I have a Propel Gyropter (mini helicopter) that has a gear that no longer stays in place. I don't want to spend money to fix it. Any one pulled the motors and electronic out of something like this and built a plane/flying wing? The Gyropter has 2 motors for the main blades and one motor for the tail. How would I use the tail rotor for rudder or elevator? I'm guessing I would use the 2 main motors for flight and have differential thrust.

Sorry to hear about your hand. One of the few times I have had my finger in a prop was with an OS .15 engine also on an air boat.

Have you thought of trying to repair the helicopter legs? I would try some string and something like flower arrangement wire to lash some reinforcements on. You could also try using some thread to create bracing. Put a dab of CA on the knots to make them hold. If you want to use that receiver on a scratch built airplane, it better be very small and light.