High winds

Potter

So I live in central IL. Corn fields all around the problem I have is it's always windy here usually 5-10 mph wind but it's not unusual for it to be 20 mph winds. I first scratch built a simple soarer which I crashed a lot. I also built a guinea pig which is not operational yet. But because I kept crashing the simple soarer I used experimental aircrafts tube idea and then I built an 8" sleeve to slide the tail boom and nose boom into so when I crash and the nose is all banged up I can just pull the noise off and put another one on. If I don't crash the plane will be 200 yards away because it keeps getting blown away. The reason I crash so much is I can't get the plane high enough to make mad takes other wise it will blow away. Basically what is the answer to kind of fight the wind. Should I buy 2 more motors and get the guinea pig up with 4 motors and some weigh in it. Any suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks Brian

JimCR120

Got Lobstah?
Site Moderator
Hello Brian,

I see the temptation for more power but I suggest to not go there yet. Even if your skills are up to par strong winds can make it a bad choice to fly. It would be better to find a better place or time to fly. Some parks have enough surrounding trees that they can break up the strong winds. Just be careful since trees themselves are a hazard. Flying later around dusk is often a time I find when windy days become nicely calm. Keep an eye out for valley areas, a quarry ball parks, etc. I think even small towns will have several ball parks nesteled around town among surrounding trees giving a decent distance. I would say the same for football and track fields.

If you go big(heavy) and powerful one thing is for sure, a crash will be more damaging. When it comes surviving a crash, it's all about momentum and how much energy is going to go where.

Welcome to the forum. I'm in Maine but originally grew up in Lake County, Il.
—Jim

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
My favorite model for high wind flying is a simple KFM4 flying wing.

It is solid FB, no CF reinforcing, 2 servos, motor Etc. It has the glide angle of a brick, (a hollow brick that is!), and it penetrates the wind easily and handles crosswind runs with only a slight waggle of its winglets.

Even on the most blustery of days I can land it at my feet with the judicial application of throttle. It is one of the very few planes I fly regularly that I have never had a scary moment or a crash.

Throw one together and have fun without worries of repeatedly crashing and repairing it.

Have fun!