Hobby King 2.4Ghz 6Ch Tx & Rx V2?

KJ4CCH

Hey,

I am wanting to know the usefulness of the hobbyking radio. I am helping someone build their first quad (on a tight budget) and wondering if anyone can comment on these radios.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=15140

He wants it under 200, and right now with everything it should put him at 144...or 160ish with shipping.
I dont want to get him something bad either. I dont know if he will get into fpving the thing, but if he does, couldnt he just get the FRsky DIY mod to replace the RF board? I mean, I think this radio would work fine for someone entering the hobby. But I personally have not used it, and know nothing about it.

rcspaceflight

creator of virtual planes
I have one and I haven't had any issues with it. It's annoying to have to plug it into my computer to make changes to it, but I usually only have one flyable plane at a time, so that's not an issue for me.

If he wants it specifically for a quad and that's the only thing he plans on flying, go for it. You should only have to plug the Tx into the computer once to get the controls set up properly. Unless he gets a different board (I think, I don't fly multirotors) or he wants to switch the ailerons with the rudder (but he can switch the plugs for that).

Supposedly there is a way to get that Tx to work as a simulator controller, but I had no luck getting it to work for me.

I don't think you can buddy box with it either.

I wrote a couple of bad articles about that Tx last year. http://www.flitetest.com/articles/hobby-king-2-4ghz-6ch-tx-v2-overview (Link to second article on the bottom of that article.)

Make sure you get the programming cable and I strongly, very very strongly recommend saving the default settings onto your/his computer as soon as you get it. It's very easy to screw up the Tx, especially if you switch it to any of the heli modes.

Another note, I ended up getting this battery for the Tx to power it. Because it's a LiPo battery, it will completely drain and ruin the battery before the Tx battery light changes from green to yellow. Because it's easy to end up ruining the LiPo, I also installed this voltage checker into my Tx.

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
aiidan,

just curious . . . how is it giving you trouble flyng your multi?

The control board should be doing the heavy lifting when it comes to mixing and, well, control. I've got a much nicer radio, and a few of my fixed wing airfrmaes take advantage of it, but for my multirotors it's dumbed down to stock.

RoyBro

Mentor
That radio is a good starter radio. I used it as a backup with my Turnigy 9x as my main transmitter. The nice thing is that the receivers are compatible (FlySky) so I didn't have to switch out receivers when I changed radios.

I was able to set it up with the ClearView simulator. But it's been awhile since I did it so I wouldn't be able to walk you through it.

I sold it when I got my Taranis, so now my 9x is my backup.

aiidanwings

Kinda hard to explain, but when switching from the th9x to the hk its as if there are gaps in the stick movement. Imagine a servo bound to the 9x, it moves smoothly along with the tx stick travel, but with the hk it jumps from point to point.

KJ4CCH

Thanks guys for the info. this would put him in the 200 dollar range! So hopefully it make him happy.