HobbyKing Big Stick Laser Cut Balsa Kit 1060mm

bicyclemonkey

Flying Derp
Mentor
Big Stick Laser Cut Balsa Kit 1060mm (Kit)

Stickmn.jpg

$30 from HK, I had an old brushed motor from and old Parkzone FW-190.

8OZxNrs.png

Here goes!

Foam Addict

Squirrel member
Cool! With your building skills that kit should be a piece of cake, I look forward to seeing it come together. That motor combo is actually really good with a GWS 10x6 HD prop. Even with the stock (10x8?) drivecalc says you should be drawing around 12 amps for 17.5 oz of thrust on a 3s 2200. I would recommend an APC 9x6 or the GWS 10x6 if you can get either, as with those you are looking at 17 oz of thrust at 8 amps or 20 oz of thrust at 8.1 amps with those combos.

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
One of these days I really need to invest in a magnetic building board...! How are the "instructions" with this kit, as good as the typical HK balsa kit?

bicyclemonkey

Flying Derp
Mentor
The instructions are very minimalist compared to what I'm used to but it's a pretty simple kit so it won't be an issue.

DsPnI2E.png

4QznJVm.png

bicyclemonkey

Flying Derp
Mentor
This kit will be the perfect guinea pig for Harbor Freight wood glue.

BHTPXAJ.png

Although for laminating pieces together, I normally use thick CA. My thick CA was all dried up so I decided to try some old contact adhesive that came with some long forgotten foamie.

8ZVlWYG.png

Last edited:

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
Looks about normal for HK laser kit instructions. Watch the contact on lamination's, once you touch there's no going back!

bicyclemonkey

Flying Derp
Mentor
I'm going to go off instructions a little bit here. The instructions show gluing in all the fuse formers on one side of the fuse. The problem is that the fuse tapers from just behind the wing to the tail and from the leading edge of the wing to the firewall. If I glue them all at 90-deg angle they won't line up right with the other fuse half.

F9PUNgN.png

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
Is that whole fuselage light ply or balsa? I'll assume light ply since the structure is so light. That's the kind of design that calls for transparent covering, or a light color with LEDs stuck inside!

Those bar clamps are great, every builder needs a bunch of them.

bicyclemonkey

Flying Derp
Mentor
The whole fuse is light ply. I did find some balsa after digging in the bag. Looks like that'll be for the wings and tail.

One nice thing about tab-n-notch is that most pieces snap in tight enough to not need clamping.

ju7h7iZ.png

Last edited:

Foam Addict

Squirrel member
Interesting, that structure doesn't look strong enough to handle the vibrations from a glow engine without some serious reinforcement. I would think it would break up after a few flights. Is it really that tough?

bicyclemonkey

Flying Derp
Mentor
I think it may be fine with a small glo engine. I'll decide for sure later. For now, The top and bottom sheeting is done.

I ironed the bottom sheeting but they were easy to clamp so I did that for the top.

sCEb4eg.png

p6XLAgS.png

bicyclemonkey

Flying Derp
Mentor
Looks like someone already had the same idea as me regarding the .15 size glo engine.

Looks to be pretty much the same model.