HobbyKing Big Stick Laser Cut Balsa Kit 1060mm

bicyclemonkey

Flying Derp
Mentor
The servo mount location you're using is kind of interesting. I'm using the one shown in the instructions (near the wing root).
This way the aileron control horn will be almost centered on the aileron so it won't twist. If the aileron control horn is close to the fuselage, the aileron will probably twist out by the wing tip. This is more of an issue on full length ailerons.

bicyclemonkey

Flying Derp
Mentor
I got the leading edge sanded down.

fKWyIJo.png

deldridg

I got the leading edge sanded down.

View attachment 45893

Hello from Sydney, Australia where I'm eagerly awaiting the rest of your great story to unfold. My son and I have been building this plane - my first scratch build in well over 20 years - and we're having a blast. Have really enjoyed this thread so far - hopeful of a revival and updates if you have time!!

So far we've put together the fuselage, tailplane pieces and upgraded the undercarriage - no sheeting or shrink cover yet (bit scared of that stage...). Everything else (wing parts etc.) has been cut out and prepared for the build - terrible laser cutting I must say - probably not too bad for the $$.

A few mods done and under consideration:

- have bent new u/carriage with 1/8 spring steel and replaced the little yellow wheels with nice soft 65mm ones - necessary for the grass we fly from. Using a 3mm drill and my drill press, drilled out the original slot to fit the new u/c and did some reinforcement - has added about 60g and ~10mm of additional height, ~20mm to wheelspan over the original - shouldn't be too much of an issue - fairly close to the CG,

- am adding a steerable tailwheel,

- have put some additional structure around the tops of the fuse where the wing will mate - saw this on an experienced builder's YouTube clip - he admitted paranoia but it seemed like a good idea,

- will take your suggestion and add bolts for the wing and will move the wing servos out - prob put them under the wing,

- love the wing shaping on yellow bird to match the fuse join - will have a crack at that too,

- etc.

No doubt we're getting quite carried away and all this with the thought in mind that it could all become splinters in microseconds... Oh the joy!!

So thanks for the story so far - would love to know how yours has turned out!

Cheers,
David and William