HobbyKing Big Stick Laser Cut Balsa Kit 1060mm

bicyclemonkey

Flying Derp
Mentor
I found this old guy in a box in the garage...

5HLPt8p.png

bliss224

Looking great so far. I have been looking at the great planes stik and eagerly await the rest of your build to see if it could be another option!

Magwie

Wonderful thread, build look good so far.

I just finished one of these about a month ago. I really like it.

I don't want to "high jack" the thread, Just want to share some pics of my build ... maybe it will help.

I'm using the suggested power system, with a 3s 2200 batt.(it's a tight squeeze to get the batt in) 7X5 APC Prop, Fly's great, lands easy (with upgraded gear and tail wheel) It's even pretty acrobatic on high rates. I would recommend doing away with "rubber band" wing mount and fab a bolt down type.

Thanks.

Stick unbox 1.jpg Stick unbox 2.jpg Stick Wing Mount 1.jpg Stick Wing Mount 2.jpg Stick Frame up 1.jpg Stick Frame up 2.jpg Stick near done.jpg Stick tail wheel.jpg Stick Wing covered 1.jpg Stick Wing covered 2.jpg Stick bottom.jpg Stick Done 1.jpg Motor-ESC Stick.jpg Stick Up Weight.jpg

bicyclemonkey

Flying Derp
Mentor
Thanks for the post, the more pics the better. I'm not sure how much extra effort beyond the basic build I want to put into this model but I think I'll for sure do the bolt-on wing. I may go ahead and do a few more mods b/c I really love the look of this modified Hobby King Stick.

Big Stick Internet.jpg

Magwie

That's a nice looking "Stick". Is the yellow one pictured one of the HK Big Stick Kits? Is it yours?

As far as "Mods" to the kit, I only ones I think it really needs are;
-Upgrade landing gear (tail wheel not necessary, but really helps on the ground)
-Make wing "Bolt on"
-Move aileron servos 1 "Rib Bay" out.
-Cut some of the bottom sheeting away for ventilation
Any other mods would be pilots preference ;)

Nice building board also, one day I hope to upgrade to a magnetic board.

Magwie

p.s. Hard to read the scale, but the "up weight" came in at 1Lb. 12oz. with 2200 batt.

bicyclemonkey

Flying Derp
Mentor
The yellow one is a modified Hobby King Big Stick and is unfortunately not mine, just a pic I found on the RCGroups HK Big Stick thread.

Did you make your new landing gear or did you purchase it somewhere?

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
I like how the wing was modified on that bird, giving a smooth transition from the nose/fuselage to wing. It's little details like that that take time to do, but really give you a good finished look.

Magwie

I agree with "Joker" I really like the transition from the fuselage to the wing.

The landing gear for my stick came off of an old/crashed Parkzone Piper Cub. I drilled the holes and painted it blue.
I also added a small balsa block and some blind nuts just behind the slot for the original gear to mount my new gear.

One can purchase aluminium park flyer sized landing gear from several places,some can be kind of pricey though,for just a bent piece of aluminum with some holes in it. Or, it's pretty simple to make your own out of aluminium stock or even modify old parts you might have laying around. They don't necessarily need to be "RC Parts"

I work in a pretty "Industrial" area and, it's amazing, the amount of "building supplies" I find in the dumpsters and just laying around. Keep you'r eyes and mind open. :)

Magwie

Magwie

Hows the build coming?

I found out today that these planes make a really unique sound when they slam into the top of a tree!
Almost like a balsa and monocoat "bell" that rang out across the field.

Had to climb two trees to get it back. I think at this point I'll get another kit (maybe two ;) ) Easier and cheaper than to attempt a repair.

Stick Crash 6.jpg Stick Crash 7.jpg Stick Crash 8.jpg

All the "electronics" survived. :)

Last edited:

bicyclemonkey

Flying Derp
Mentor
I haven't touched the plane in a while. We've had decent weather so I've been flying. Started working on the wing tonight. Looks like it'll go a little slower than I was expecting.

Side A
DK4lRn2.png

Side B
QW0mxHt.png