HobbyKing Big Stick Laser Cut Balsa Kit 1060mm

AkimboGlueGuns

Biplane Guy
Mentor
waco! waco! waco! waco! waco! waco! waco! waco! waco! waco! waco! waco! waco! waco! waco! waco!

I'm kind of a big fan...

bicyclemonkey

Flying Derp
Mentor
That Waco is an ARF and it has some wing warpage. The guy I got it from didn't quite install the Saito .91 with the correct thrust angle. Ssomehow even though angle is build into the firewall, it got installed with no angle at all. The .91 is on the low end of recommended engines for this plane, so it can't really do anything more than what I would consider scale flight for this plane. The quirks are slowly getting worked out but I'm getting tired of flying it in the process lol...

bicyclemonkey

Flying Derp
Mentor
Going to use the Durafly Ugly Stick landing gear. The perfect size, could't go wrong for $6.

jOw14Ui.png

Magwie

6$ - Can't beat that! They look like they will work just fine. :)

Did they come with a tail wheel bracket? or just the wheel?

Hope you get your Waco dialed in .... it looks like it could be a fun plane.

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
It's parts like that which are good to order occasionally, even if you don't need them NOW. Often with Hobby King you can add extra parts to an order without costing more for shipping, so when that happens I add misc cheap parts - screws, nylon bolts/nuts, shrink tube for wires, etc. It is very nice having a supply of that stuff handy when you need it!

bicyclemonkey

Flying Derp
Mentor
It's parts like that which are good to order occasionally, even if you don't need them NOW. Often with Hobby King you can add extra parts to an order without costing more for shipping, so when that happens I add misc cheap parts - screws, nylon bolts/nuts, shrink tube for wires, etc. It is very nice having a supply of that stuff handy when you need it!
I ordered this and a couple small parts for my son's RC car and shipping from the Hong Kong warehouse was $1. And there was an extra couple props in the box that I didn't even order lol.

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
I love that magnetic building board and recently remembered I've got most of a 4x8 sheet of steel behind the shelving in my garage left over from some fabrication work in the past. Time to shop for the magnets and screw clamps!

bicyclemonkey

Flying Derp
Mentor
Got the other side done.

veByaZR.png

Weights on the trailing edge sheeting.

rFMT9Dj.png

More weight.

gSxSEk5.png

The ailerons are supposed to be cut out of the trailing edge.

v5Df6BA.png

UTI7sCf.png

Stingray Aviation

Can you explain that method you used for building leading edges? I used CA glue on mine and the pull forces on them when I bended them caused some really bad warping throughout the wing.

bicyclemonkey

Flying Derp
Mentor
Can you explain that method you used for building leading edges? I used CA glue on mine and the pull forces on them when I bended them caused some really bad warping throughout the wing.
If you're talking about the sheeting on the leading edge, here's what you do: Use plain old carpenters wood glue (I'm currently on a bottle of Titebond II) and apply a thin coat onto the surface of the wing (I use a Q-Tip). Press the sheeting onto the glued surface and remove. You'll now see an outline of glue on the sheeting. Now go over with a light coat of the wood glue and the Q-Tip on both surfaces and let dry (it should only take about 10 minutes for the glue to dry). Now since the glue is dry you can put the sheeting back on the wing and use a covering iron set on high to basically iron on the sheeting. The heat from the iron will go through the wood and activate the glue forming an instant bond.

Here's some pics from my Balsa USA Stingray 120 build thread. The pics may be more clear on a bigger model...

http://forum.flitetest.com/showthre...ay-120-Kit-Build&p=70974&viewfull=1#post70974

kV5Af1L.jpg

I got this tip from a veteran modeler at my club. Use a glue brush to apply a thin layer of wood glue to the spar and ribs the balsa sheet will contact. Remove and there will be a glue imprint on the sheet. Re-apply a thin layer of wood glue to both pieces and allow to dry.

1AZWzXT.jpg

Once dry, line up the sheet and apply heat with a monokote iron on max. The glue will bond almost instantly.

KDDPhbv.jpg

Magwie

Great Idea with the wood glue and iron, I'll have to try that on the next build.

When I made my "Big Stick" I cut the "aileron" section off of the trailing edge completely and used some tapered aileron stock from the LHS to make my ailerons.

bicyclemonkey

Flying Derp
Mentor

bicyclemonkey

Flying Derp
Mentor
The instructions really weren't clear on this part. I think I did it right. At least it'll be a lot less sanding and shaping than it was on the Stingray.

UXnYrIt.png

skGECQw.png

Stingray Aviation

On my Stick, I taped the two leading edge sheets together at the edges and bonded them with CA glue. I wasn't sure what all that extra square stock the kit came with was for, I guess it was for the leading edges. It was quite a chore to join the two sheets, and the wings came out warped as if they had washout, but I will probably be able to correct them with ultracote. It's my first balsa build so I obviously have a lot to learn ;)

The servo mount location you're using is kind of interesting. I'm using the one shown in the instructions (near the wing root).