How cold is too cold?

Flagged for inappropriate/abusive content. :LOL: Kidding! That's just fun to say.

Ok I'm not gonna be a hero today. Next couple hours - before our blizzard - are very low air, but it's only in the 20s and it's cozy here in my living room. There'll be another winter day with low air and above freezing temps.

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor
That's an unfair and harming stereotype :p (which does not mean it's not true :ROFLMAO: but remember - that's only for warming up AFTER returning from the field)

I have a lot of "natural insulating layer" and a long history of "not dressing up properly for winter" ;) That, plus a somewhat decent transmitter glove, uszanka (or "ushanka" in english) and warm, dry boots is usually enough for my "extreme cold kit" to keep the hobby fun in any "not raining" weather. Honestly, it's the rain that ruins the fun the most; everything else is just a matter of proper clothes.

Hey, he was the one who said it. LOL :) He also said "Dobre latanie!" which I guess means good flying? I hope that's right...I ran it through Google Translate. :)

And I agree with the weather - rain and a cold breeze are what ruins it for me. That cold breeze where it feels like it's cutting THROUGH you, even though the thermometer says it's 50F outside but the wind chill makes it feel like it's -10F - that's what ruins it for me. Doesn't have to be a strong breeze, just COLD.

Bayboos

He also said "Dobre latanie!" which I guess means good flying?

That's correct, thank you :)

I used to work as a Line Maintenance technician on the largest airport in the country. From that time, one of the few things that I have left is a set of "cold weather clothes" that can withstand literally anything - the planes had to be ready for the next flight the first time in the morning no matter how cold it was during the nigh shift. But still, "the cold doesn't bother me anyway" :D

Piotrsko

Master member
This is all well and good until you get ancient, then even a 40C day isn't warm enough.
Ever guard an unloaded B52 during a NODAK snowstorm and NOT be cold?

Aslansmonkey

How cold is too cold is inversely proportional to my "wussiness" factor.

Generally speaking, though, we don't fly much below 20 degrees and peter out rapidly below 30. It's the winds blowing over ungloved hands that does it.

Ryan O.

Out of Foam Board!
When do you guys deem it just too cold to be worth flying? I’ve got a few days where we’re hovering around -20c, (-4 f) with almost no wind.... I might try to go out tomorrow afternoon but I was wondering when you guys call it? When does the low battery capacity at low temps really make it not worth it? Any tips on better experience in the cold? (Transmitter gloves, battery insulation? Etc
I use a transmitter glove in combination with fingerless gloves and a cheap electric hand warmer and have never found it too cold, but I also wear shorts and a t shirt in Wisconsin winters when I’m not spending too long outside so maybe it’s just me. Also, set your timers shorter because batteries are worse in the cold, and in between flights sit in the car or a shed. One warning about transmitter gloves, never take your hand out while flying incase you have an itch or something. Don’t ask how I know…

Inq

Elite member
I'm an ole Southern Boy (SE U.S. that is) my blood might freeze below 50F.
Time to build and do indoor projects for me. ;)

L Edge

Master member
Sometimes you just can't wait to try out something to see what happens regardless of conditions.

Foamforce

Time to revive this thread! I was outside flying this morning for 20 minutes before work. It was lovely low wind and the sun came out to warm my back a little. At first I wasn’t wearing any gloves because I don’t like the feel of gloves on the sticks, but then I relented and put on thin gloves. I have a transmitter glove but didn’t bring it because I thought it would be “warm enough”. It was about 20f and my thumbs still felt a little numb an hour later at work. 😂

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
... I wasn’t wearing any gloves because I don’t like the feel of gloves on the sticks, ...
I agree, I don't like the feel of gloves on the sticks.

I have taken a pair of cheap gloves and cut a slit in the thumbs, just enough for the sticks to poke through. Now I can have my thumbs on the sticks and keep my hands warm.

brucezubaa

We're supposed to get some snow here through Monday into Tuesday, and I'd love to run my snow skimmer after that - it'll be quite cold and I'm ok with that except I think it's supposed to still be very windy.

L Edge

Master member
You have a large set, my friend!
If fact, the urge is back strongly, got 4 EZ new planes built, CG set, and need to test fly them to see what happens. Wind has to be 0-5mph, with snow on the ground, so mornings that are in the 20's is the only option. Otherwise, springtime. No way!!!!