How hot is too hot to fly?

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
In hot weather, take it easy, don't fly as hard. I'm far more concerned with my motors & ESC than with my hot glue. The motors & ESC's get hot a lot easier than in cooler weather. When you get above 90, each 5 degrees more is a big deal.

Last edited:

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor
If my pina colada popsicle melts before I get a couple of solid bites in, then it’s too hot to go anywhere. That’s my new rule now it clears 100 deg in UK summer.

Pina colada popsicle...I need to look for those. Right now, all I have are these somewhat flavorless Creamsicles that our local Aldi grocery store sells. Great for when it's hot, but not a whole lot of flavor. :) Pina Colada sounds pretty good, though!

CMS_1961

CMS_1961
I'm in the Mojave Desert-- You can fly in any temperature that "you" can stand (tolerate), however, don't leave your hot glued planes in hot cars, garages or trailers--that is where you will lose the integrity of the glue joints!! Constant, still exposure to very hot and very cold temps weaken or break the glue joint!!!

I fly all the time in temps above 100 out here and have never lost a hot glue joint!! Of course, do a good preflight on your airplane before you launch!!

Hoomi

Master member
We were out in the Mojave before moving to Tucson - little town called Phelan. Hot in the summer, but being at above 4000' of altitude, we got colder in the winter than Tucson does.

When we lived there, George AFB was still open and flying Phantoms. People would complain about the F-4 aircraft flying overhead, but I loved seeing them.

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor
I'm in the Mojave Desert-- You can fly in any temperature that "you" can stand (tolerate), however, don't leave your hot glued planes in hot cars, garages or trailers--that is where you will lose the integrity of the glue joints!! Constant, still exposure to very hot and very cold temps weaken or break the glue joint!!!

I fly all the time in temps above 100 out here and have never lost a hot glue joint!! Of course, do a good preflight on your airplane before you launch!!

LOL yup - 102 degrees outside, and I left my Sea Duck in the car. Glue joints let go along the wing and where the motor mounts connected to the power pod (when I built it, I didn't tape them like I have with other power pods, but on my new Sea Duck I taped the mounting plates in addition to gluing them!). So, as you mentioned, don't leave your planes in a hot car. :)

b-29er

I'd be worried about certain planes with through-wing glue joints, like the A-10 where it has the massive glue joint that holds the outer wing section to the inner sections. But that being said, if you have the gumption to stand out in 90+ degrees staring at the sky for a long time, i'd be more worried about the sunscreen and the cooling than the wing lol.

Wildthing

Legendary member
For added caution especially on a folded wing alongside the hot glue I will also run a bead of UHU Por . The hot glue is like my spot welder to hold everything in place quickly but once the UHU has cured my wings don't unfold in any heat.

Hoomi

Master member
I'd be worried about certain planes with through-wing glue joints, like the A-10 where it has the massive glue joint that holds the outer wing section to the inner sections. But that being said, if you have the gumption to stand out in 90+ degrees staring at the sky for a long time, i'd be more worried about the sunscreen and the cooling than the wing lol.
I have that pale, Celtic skin, hair that was red before the gray took over, and blue eyes. Add those to some other things, and I have 10 of the top 12 risk factors for skin cancer. I worry about the sunscreen even when the temps aren't likely to top 70 degrees.

Hoomi

Master member
The hot glue holding the top of one of Fawkes' wings pulled loose this week while she was sitting. I don't think heat had anything to do with it - I think it's just not enough surface area on the edge of the foamboard to the original foam wing mounting. Since it was hanging down enough to give me a decent gap to the inside, I put a decent bead of Gorilla Glue inside. That should expand in the wing cavity at the root, and provide more surface area for adhesion.

Hoomi

Master member
The SAGE field thermometer at 9:21 Sunday morning.
Thermometer 28 Jul 19.jpg

CMS_1961

CMS_1961
But it's a dry heat!! LOL That is what I hear all the time out here in the Mojave desert!!

I DO NOT miss the humidity of the east coast though!! 95 degrees with 95% humidity is not good. I will take 100 degrees with 12% humidity any day!!

Out here you fly early in the morning and in the evening as the sun sets---the luxury of NOT having mosquitos!!