How hot is too hot to fly?

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor
But it's a dry heat!! LOL That is what I hear all the time out here in the Mojave desert!!

I DO NOT miss the humidity of the east coast though!! 95 degrees with 95% humidity is not good. I will take 100 degrees with 12% humidity any day!!

Out here you fly early in the morning and in the evening as the sun sets---the luxury of NOT having mosquitos!!

Mosquitoes and I do not get along. They take one look at me and go, "Hey guys! Look! It's the OTHER white meat!" LOL

Seriously, though - humidity is even worse for foamboard planes than high heat; they tend to absorb that moisture and kind of melt and sag. :(

dwnhlbikr

You also have to consider your density altitude. At higher density altitude the air density becomes thinner resulting in the aircraft needing more power to take-off and decreases battery life. For example, my current altitude is 4820 ft above sea level. If the temperature is 98 degrees Fahrenheit, then my density altitude is 8285 feet above sea level. If the temperature is 75 degrees Fahrenheit, then my density altitude is 6921 feet above sea level. For me, when the temperature is above 85 small edf jets are a no go since the air density is too thin.

You can use this calculator to figure this out: http://imageserver.fltplan.com/PressureAndDensityAltitudeCalc.htm?USER=PILOT

Captain Video

At FFOH19, flying our white foam board, after only like a three minute flight in the waning heat of the day and the high humidity present for the night flight, our poor Goblin landed feeling like a wet sponge. It had a water film on the paper causing de-lamination and I bet I could have wrung water from the foam core. It was amazing how wet it was.

Fortunately, it dried out in the hot sun the next day and with a little TLC it lived to fly another day. Until, the Combat with Andres giant wing, we hit it first and recovered and the hit it again which shifted battery forward and then nose heavy, it plunged to its demise.:cry:

Piotrsko

Master member
@CMS_1961 you out at EAFB or part of the mojave brain trust? Your picture shows a MAC transport so I will bet you aren't from china lake.
If they will let you up there, rocket test stand 1C15 has areas that always have lift in the pm, any direction.

12% humidity on a wet day, IIRC, DEW temp was like 43-45 degrees, swamp coolers were colder than fridges.

@Hoomi that mountain in the thermometer picture is where I used to live

Last edited:

CMS_1961

CMS_1961
That C-17 pic was over Star Wars Canyon! (If I remember right). MAC--I have not heard that in years--back in my C-5 days we were MAC!! LOL!! Think the new world in now AMC!! Worked C-5's and C-141's back in the 1980's at Dover and McGuire AFBs. History lesson for some of the younger crowd but you might remember the C-141 if you are saying "MAC" !! LOL

Yes, I am near EAFB!!

basslord1124

Master member
Our temps have been averaging around 85-90 here. I try and keep my exposure and plane exposure to heat as little as possible.

I know this was brought up earlier, but on my new Edge build I am using primarily Titebond for it. I do use a little bit of hot glue to help secure it first, while the Titebond dries. On my Seaduck, it sat for a while in varying environments (some got pretty hot) while it was to get painted...after that I don't think it flew like it used to. Required more trim, etc. I'm kinda thinking the heat and added paint had something to do with it.

Piotrsko

Master member
141 is my favorite. Also like the 119 because I have a thing for twin tails
class of '75, SAC sucks, was hugely suprised when I found out 3 stripers were A1C now.

Last edited:

Hoomi

Master member
That C-17 pic was over Star Wars Canyon! (If I remember right). MAC--I have not heard that in years--back in my C-5 days we were MAC!! LOL!! Think the new world in now AMC!! Worked C-5's and C-141's back in the 1980's at Dover and McGuire AFBs. History lesson for some of the younger crowd but you might remember the C-141 if you are saying "MAC" !! LOL

Yes, I am near EAFB!!
I worked Starlifters out of Norton AFB from early 78 until 84.

By the way, the Navy lost an FA-18 in Star Wars Canyon yesterday. As of the last I looked, they still had not located the pilot. Not looking very hopeful, either, as there was no sign of him ejecting, and the largest piece of the plane they found was about the size of a bowling ball. 7 tourists at the viewpoint were injured by the crash as well.

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
But it's a dry heat!! LOL That is what I hear all the time out here in the Mojave desert!!

I DO NOT miss the humidity of the east coast though!! 95 degrees with 95% humidity is not good. I will take 100 degrees with 12% humidity any day!!

Out here you fly early in the morning and in the evening as the sun sets---the luxury of NOT having mosquitos!!

here in Arizona we say it's a "Dry Hate..." :LOL:

Hoomi

Master member
I'd already been moved to Tucson before they closed Norton. I was sad to hear it was on the closure list.

Not as sad, I'm sure, as San Bernardino. Their economy really took a nose dive when the base closed, and it wasn't in that great of shape before!

CMS_1961

CMS_1961
For you C-141 Starlifter fans-- check out the "C-141 Heaven" website!! Lots of neat stuff there. >>https://c141heaven.info/dotcom/index.php
I have no affliation, just a really good site with lots of history.

Also if you are ever in Delaware, you can go to the Dover AFB Museum and see the first C-141, Tail # 61-2775. Hated to see the C-141 go it was a really great plane (worked and flew on them), but that is how we got the C-17 and it's an even better airplane!! The pics of the C-141 in the USAF boneyard being cut to pieces are disturbing!! Don't know why they just would not let the USAF Reserves keep them and fly them -- yeah I know, it was a money thing!!

You know it's time to retire when most of the aircraft you worked on are retired or are a static display of some kind--first C-17 (T-1), Tail # 87-0025 now rotting away at Wright Patt AFB outside (those *ssholes at the museum not taking care of it), the X-32B on display outside of PAX gate #1, X-32A in a museum, 141's in the boneyard, C-5As in the boneyard etc....

Hoomi

Master member
Yeah, you can see the tails of the Galaxies in the Boneyard from the freeway, as you drive through Tucson. I'm rather surprised the Pima Air and Space Museum hasn't received one for display. They now have the 747 used by one of the jet engine manufacturers at the museum.

Cobra1365

For you C-141 Starlifter fans-- check out the "C-141 Heaven" website!! Lots of neat stuff there. >>https://c141heaven.info/dotcom/index.php
I have no affliation, just a really good site with lots of history.

Also if you are ever in Delaware, you can go to the Dover AFB Museum and see the first C-141, Tail # 61-2775. Hated to see the C-141 go it was a really great plane (worked and flew on them), but that is how we got the C-17 and it's an even better airplane!! The pics of the C-141 in the USAF boneyard being cut to pieces are disturbing!! Don't know why they just would not let the USAF Reserves keep them and fly them -- yeah I know, it was a money thing!!

You know it's time to retire when most of the aircraft you worked on are retired or are a static display of some kind--first C-17 (T-1), Tail # 87-0025 now rotting away at Wright Patt AFB outside (those *ssholes at the museum not taking care of it), the X-32B on display outside of PAX gate #1, X-32A in a museum, 141's in the boneyard, C-5As in the boneyard etc....

Chief,
When were you at Dover? I arrived Feb of 78 to the 3MAS. Finally retired last July from Current Ops.
My FiL likes to tell people I’m the only guy he knows that was an Airman, NCO, Officer AND Civilian, all at Dover (Non reservist that is). If you were here in the 80’s, I’m sure we know some of the same folks!