Had to stop flying early today...

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor
Got up early this morning (alarm went off at 6 am), to go flying.

Why would I get up THAT early, on a Saturday, to go flying, some of you might ask?

Simple. I live in San Diego. San Diego is in the state of California, and California is experiencing a heat wave right now. While it was only 90ish today, it was also 90ish with 70% humidity, 20 mi. inland, away from the coast. It was that sticky humidity that those of you in the south are used to during the summer, but we folk in drier climates just suffer through.

So, I figured that at 7ish in the morning, I'd be able to fly with no problems, that it would be cool enough and comfortable to fly. I was correct - for about half an hour. Then it started to warm up, and the paper started peeling off of the foam board on my Versa Wing, due to the moisture. I thought, "Ok, done with flying that one..." because I wanted to bring it home somewhat in one piece, so I decided to try and fly my quadcopter instead.

I started ripping around the field with my FPV gear on, cruising and generally having no issues whatsoever - until someone came in with their panel van and parked in the parking lot, near our drone course. The panel van blocked the tiny bit of breeze that was blowing over by the course, and I started to SWELTER. I finally gave up and came home around 9:30-10 am...I was actually trying to buzz myself with my quad so I could feel downdraft from the rotors, just to cool off a bit - NEVER a good thing. It was just too flippin' hot, and I decided (probably smartly) to stop before I overheated (or my parts overheated and shorted out).

Good rule of thumb - it's probably not a good idea to fly if you've got sweat running into your eyes. Either you're going to crash and ruin something, you're going to have heat issues with your body, or you're going to have heat problems with your electronics - none of it is a good thing.

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
Sorry but no sympathy from me!
I woke up this morning and it was less than 10 degrees Celsius. I have a hard time functioning below 15 degrees and so I just sat and froze trying to warm up in the sunlight!
Antarctic blasts I hate them!!!!
Give me 40 degrees Celsius any day!

Have fun!

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
I was up at 4:30 and by 7:30 the day was looking to be SUPER nice. By 9 I was bored and decided it was the perfect day to get out to fly. Bright sunshine, near zero wind and low to mid 70's (~25c for you weird people) Anyway got my first two batteries on the charger and a friend called said she was takin me out to breakfast. 10: rolls around and I get the text she is on the way. Didnt get back home til after 1pm. started charging packs again while watching Stra Trek Voyager trying to finish by ritual binge watching for the next year and a half. Put my last two batteries on charger and woke up after 7 pm... Sigh.

I am hoping today is as nice because I got all my batteries ready for a park day I just need to sort out my back pack with tools and spare props n such. time now is 5 am.. should know what the day looks like here in the next few hours maybe Ill get a REAL early start and get to fly two sessions of 9 batteries today.

JasonK

Participation Award Recipient
have been out flying in 90ish weather here, didn't have any issues with my foam board, but I don't think we were at 70% humidity. On the other hand, I haven't been able to do much flying for ~ 2 weeks now, On call 2 weeks back, an the nearest airfield is ~ 1 hour away and when I am on call I have to be with-in 1 hour of a computer that can get me into work (so my house). This weekend, the twin Tropical storms have been throwing around enough rain to make it not worth driving 1 hour in the hopes that both the sky and ground will be dry enough to fly - and the same is causing enough wind at the part I sometimes hit up (~30 minutes away) isn't the best choice either.

In the 90ish weather, I was drying my face/head rather often and every time I put on/took off the FPV googles, I was drying out the foam.

Not sure about were your at, but here in a month or so, we should be getting much better weather for flying, which will last for a few months.

Indy durtdigger

Elite member
I'll trade y'all. Our air temps are only supposed to be in the upper 80's and low 90'sF but the relative humidity is supposed to be at or above 95% all week.

sprzout

Mentor
I'll trade y'all. Our air temps are only supposed to be in the upper 80's and low 90'sF but the relative humidity is supposed to be at or above 95% all week.

It was at least better today than yesterday - we had air movement today.

Yesterday was just oppressive, no matter WHERE in San Diego you were. In the inland valleys, which are normally hotter, it was actually BETTER than at the coast. The inland areas were drier, but it wasn't much difference; my dad's weather station at his home was showing only 60% humidity with 92F temps - still too hot and muggy to be outside for him (he's got heart problems and high blood pressure, and the heat affects him a LOT more than it used to).

I'm just hoping it gets a little better; at least we're not like Northern California where they've got fires raging again - my mother in law called last night from the Bay Area; apparently there were lightning strikes on Mt. Diablo, which set a fire that's a little less than 20 mi. away from where she lives, so they've been getting ash and absolutely horrible air quality. You go outside, you want to wear a mask - not because of COVID, but because you're likely to breathe in the ash/soot from the fires.

Indy durtdigger

Elite member

Yesterday was just oppressive, no matter WHERE in San Diego you were. In the inland valleys, which are normally hotter, it was actually BETTER than at the coast. The inland areas were drier, but it wasn't much difference; my dad's weather station at his home was showing only 60% humidity with 92F temps - still too hot and muggy to be outside for him (he's got heart problems and high blood pressure, and the heat affects him a LOT more than it used to).

I'm just hoping it gets a little better; at least we're not like Northern California where they've got fires raging again - my mother in law called last night from the Bay Area; apparently there were lightning strikes on Mt. Diablo, which set a fire that's a little less than 20 mi. away from where she lives, so they've been getting ash and absolutely horrible air quality. You go outside, you want to wear a mask - not because of COVID, but because you're likely to breathe in the ash/soot from the fires.
I was stationed at Camp Pendleton in the 90's. Those fires are no joke so I hope your family stays safe. The lack of humidity most of the time and winter temps that stayed mostly in the 50's or warmer were awesome. Darn, now I want a carne asada burrito from Albertos, Alibertos, Alobertos, or whichever spelling they have in a given town lol.

sprzout

Mentor
I was stationed at Camp Pendleton in the 90's. Those fires are no joke so I hope your family stays safe. The lack of humidity most of the time and winter temps that stayed mostly in the 50's or warmer were awesome. Darn, now I want a carne asada burrito from Albertos, Alibertos, Alobertos, or whichever spelling they have in a given town lol.

We refer to them as the -erto's shops here. I've seen Umberto's, Roberto's, Jumberto's, even Juanberto's. :) They're all pretty similar in taste, but you get one that might have cilantro in their salsa, and another that purees their salsa instead of leaving it chunky, or one that uses pico de gallo instead of salsa. There's even one up the street from me that you eat the RED salsa instead of the GREEN salsa, because the green is like swallowing a live grenade - not bad at, first, but count to five, and BOOM, you've killed your taste buds. :)

Indy durtdigger

Elite member
I always got a kick out of that. Different town, different take on the name but pretty much the same restaurant with some minor variations. The only place I have found in my parts that has a burrito or nachos like that is called Labamba's and it's over an hour away.

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor

I have relatives in Cali that have been affected my the fires as well...