Help! How to do differential thrust on opentx?

Battery800

Elite member
So I have a tx16s and I’m trying to program differential thrust into my plane. I’m having problems just writing models from my pc so can anyone walk me through the process for the mixes and such?

JasonK

Participation Award Recipient
here is an example were I setup CH3 as one throttle channel and CH5 as the other throttle channel with 25% differential on the throttles. You also want to make sure to setup your fail safe correctly as most receivers will center a channel when in fail safe and you don't want that on a throttle challenge.

Mixers

CH1

I1:Ail Weight(+100%)

CH2

I2:Ele Weight(+100%)

CH3

I3:Thr Weight(+100%)
+= I4:Rud Weight(+25%)
:= MAX Weight(-100%) Switch(SF↑) [Cut]

CH4

I4:Rud Weight(+100%)

CH5

Thr Weight(+100%)
+= I4:Rud Weight(-25%)

Battery800

Elite member
here is an example were I setup CH3 as one throttle channel and CH5 as the other throttle channel with 25% differential on the throttles. You also want to make sure to setup your fail safe correctly as most receivers will center a channel when in fail safe and you don't want that on a throttle challenge.

Mixers

CH1

CH2

CH3

CH4

CH5

Thr Weight(+100%)

Thanks

Battery800

Elite member

Mixers

CH1

CH2

CH3

CH4

CH5

Thr Weight(+100%)

Are there any logical switches, global variables and special functions?

Battery800

Elite member
not sure, I do most of my configuration directly on my radio
Is this right? I’m not sure how to do the maximum weights
image.jpg

JasonK

That looks like it would work... what do you mean by "maximum weights"?
Right now the throttle is 100% mixed into both channels and the rudder is 30% to both. Which should work fine.

Battery800

Elite member
That looks like it would work... what do you mean by "maximum weights"?
Right now the throttle is 100% mixed into both channels and the rudder is 30% to both. Which should work fine.
I don’t know what the “:= MAX Weight(+100)” means

Battery800

Elite member

Mixers

CH1

CH2

CH3

CH4

CH5

Thr Weight(+100%)

So, it works, but smal problem: I found out that I need quite a bit of trim on the rudder(20%) but when I start the motors up, one of them spins at neutral, because of the trim. Right now, I’m just giving as much trim before the motor starts, but it might affect the turning a tiny bit still.

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
you need to individually set the throttle range on both esc's. i would guess that is your issue. depending upon the controller and the channels used diff thrust can have its little quirks, but yours sounds like and ESC not programing issue.

good luck,

me :cool:

JasonK

So, it works, but smal problem: I found out that I need quite a bit of trim on the rudder(20%) but when I start the motors up, one of them spins at neutral, because of the trim. Right now, I’m just giving as much trim before the motor starts, but it might affect the turning a tiny bit still.

if you need 20% trim on your rudder, go fix the mechanical issue ;)

in the mixes or outputs you should be able to remove trim from effecting the motor outputs.

JasonK

yes, you can just set this to false in the mixer for the rudder -> motors:

note -> if you do, you won't have any rudder trim in your motor mix

1626741867092.png