How To Wire My Quad

SimplySumo

I am a little confused how to get power to all the components on my quadcopter.

Any Help is much appreciated!

Acro Naze 32
Turnigy Multistar 1704-1900Kv
Turnigy nano-tech 1450mAh
TURNIGY Plush 12amp (2A BEC) BESC

basically how do I power all 4 ESC, Board, and motors all off the same battery pack.

Battery > Board > Esc > Motors ?????

Does anyone have a diagram or "Best Practice" advice

Tritium

Amateur Extra Class K5TWM
NO! Do not hook the battery direct to the board! If you do you will probably need a new board.

The ESC's get power from the battery and "supply" power (5V) to the board via the small 3 pin lead. The ESC's also provide an output to each motor.

Go download the AcroNaze32 manual and study it!

Thurmond

Twitchity

You'll need to create a wiring harness to connect to each ESC. You can either use bullet connectors if you're not comfortable soldering the power wires directly to the ESC's, but a direct solder connection is a lot better. The wires are not soldered in this picture, but you get the idea. I don't have a good picture of the wiring harness for my quad.

IMG_20140718_201521_zpsba555613.jpg

On my build I'm using ESC on the front left of the quad (#4 for a Naze32) to provide power to the board. The remaining 3 ESC's just have the signal wire connected to the Naze. To get power to my Naze, I'm using the positive pin from M5, and the negative pin from M6 so I can lay the ESC wire flat and connect it right to the board to provide signal and power.

IMG_20140719_133939_zpsf6a6aa08.jpg

IMG_20140719_141955_zps0990f4cf.jpg

Take a look through my build thread. Hopefully this will give you some kind of idea on what needs to be done. http://forum.flitetest.com/showthread.php?10673-CNC-Quad-Build/page2 But do read the manual like Thurmond recommended if this is your first time.

Last edited:

KJ4CCH

NO! Do not hook the battery direct to the board! If you do you will probably need a new board.

The ESC's get power from the battery and "supply" power (5V) to the board via the small 3 pin lead. The ESC's also provide an output to each motor.

Go download the AcroNaze32 manual and study it!

Thurmond

Most ESC have a Battery eliminating Circuit (BEC). Solder all your esc to a power rail/board/ loom/ whatever you wanna call it. Make sure you have red to red, black to black (positive to positive, negative to negative.) You will solder the side of the esc with two (normally 14 gauge) wires, leave the servo wire to plug into the Flight controller.

Here is a picture I found on the internet(only two escs and motors, so half a quad):
Quadcopter-Wiring.jpg

The side with three (14 gauge normally) goes to your motor. either use bullet connectors, or direct solder, just make sure your motor spins the right way.

ALWAYS use heatshink on bullet connectors and solder joints.

hopefully this helps too...the poster above me also has a fine example of how to do this.

here is a Power distro board http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__27035__hobby_king_octocopter_power_distribution_ board.html

and here is a wire loom:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__25481__XT60_to_6_X_3_5mm_bullet_Multistar_ESC_Po wer_Breakout_Cable.html

You can make a wire loom, its easy!

watch this video, it might help you a bit as well (8:00 mark):