Hydroplane in the works

Stingray Aviation

Ekranoplan?

I am actually working on something similar, a ground-effect aircraft. I doubt it will perform very well on the first few flights but i think I can improve it as I experiment with it more. I'm looking for amphibious capability and it will probably have enough power to climb temporarily out of ground effect like the hydroplanes in the vid that was posted.

Mine will look similar to the Russian ekranoplans that were built in the Cold War, aka the Caspian Sea Monster. It will have short, stubby rectangular wings toward the nose and a high t-tail with the motor mounted on the vertical stabilizer.

Right now I'm finishing up the CAD drawings and I will start a build thread with plans when I have the prototype built and tested. Good luck with your design, i have to say that is way more likely to work than my crazy contraption ;)

Pic is what my ekranoplan will look sort of look like.

Attachments

• A-90.jpeg
    A-90.jpeg
    6.3 KB · Views: 438

SnowRocker88

Amateur pilot and builder
I am actually working on something similar, a ground-effect aircraft. I doubt it will perform very well on the first few flights but i think I can improve it as I experiment with it more. I'm looking for amphibious capability and it will probably have enough power to climb temporarily out of ground effect like the hydroplanes in the vid that was posted.

Mine will look similar to the Russian ekranoplans that were built in the Cold War, aka the Caspian Sea Monster. It will have short, stubby rectangular wings toward the nose and a high t-tail with the motor mounted on the vertical stabilizer.

Right now I'm finishing up the CAD drawings and I will start a build thread with plans when I have the prototype built and tested. Good luck with your design, i have to say that is way more likely to work than my crazy contraption ;)

Pic is what my ekranoplan will look sort of look like.

You can't mention an Ekranoplan without me thinking of this behemoth...

ekranoplan.jpg

large-ekranoplan.jpg

129424.jpg

Actually I was thinking about something more like this.

hydro-foam-21.jpg

As Kurt said, something that looks more like a sea craft, but also works on land, kinda like the snowball was supposed to do, but will jump into the air with no problem. looks easy to fly and looks like it has great ground handling. I printed out the planes found here at 150% as it was designed for 3mm foam, and am planning on building a pair with my sister as here in PA, outside of Philly, we're looking at snow falling and accumulating to up to 12", so me and her are going to race around our backyard. I'm going to do a little TX programming to keep it on the ground for right now, probably mix in a little down elevator with the increase of throttle and add some aileron to the rudder to increase ground stability. Who know, might even alter the plans to fit a powerpod and then post them as an article for others to try out.

Just another thing to add to my list of "creation/improvements/redesign", YAY!!!

thanks for all the ideas though,
Nathan

Kurt0326

Your ADD Care Bear
Mentor
In the next two day I'm hopefully going to get the motor mount figured out, then maintenance hatch.

In the next two day I'm hopefully going to get the motor mount figured out, then maintenance hatch.

Sweet!!!!! I am in the middle of building the one I posted about for my little sister and I to race around in the snow. Will definitely have to build your though when it's finished as the one I posted about is designed for 3mm Depron, not DTF so I have to take all the paper off and then jam it into the slots which are slightly undersized.

Can't wait!!!

Kurt0326

Your ADD Care Bear
Mentor
Updated. Just to prove that I'm still working on it...:p

Still not happy with motor mount...

Kurt0326

Your ADD Care Bear
Mentor
I'm ready to flatten this thing out to a 2D file I think. If there is any one that is really good at that please do, I have another two weeks till a can do anything more for now. So I shared it on in Dropbox, so enjoy all!

Link to the file is in first the entry on this tread here .

Kurt0326

Your ADD Care Bear
Mentor
Update: I found that the proper center of gravity should be approximately 2 3/8" that's 60mm. So we might have to move the motor forward to compensate with out adding weight.

Last edited:

devindied

SEL MEL CFI CFII MEI
Wow man, this looks great. Always wanted one of these. I am experimenting with sketchup myself. I didn't find the link for this. Any recommendations for learning sketchup? Or how to flatten them out?

Thanks!
Devin.

Kurt0326

Your ADD Care Bear
Mentor
Wow man, this looks great. Always wanted one of these. I am experimenting with sketchup myself. I didn't find the link for this. Any recommendations for learning sketchup? Or how to flatten them out?

Thanks!
Devin.

Sure, most of it I learned from Jason Anderson. He made this tutorial series for just that. ft-article-thumb-tut-1-jpg_1380919093.jpg

Then there is thatjoshguy that made this,
pic-jpg_1395320878.jpg

Last edited:

Hell2Go

Did you ever finnish building this plane? I hate when an interesting thread dies out before its finished... kinda like when you go to the movies and the projector breaks in the middle of the movie and they send you home without seeing the end of the movie!!!

Kurt0326

Your ADD Care Bear
Mentor
Life got in the way, unfortunately. It is unfortunate I live with the family does not appreciate RC. College is also starting up again and I will have limited time or anything. If anyone would like to try this project, I will answer any questions.