I am afraid of lipos!!!

f-35lover

Hi, it's been a while, You see i kinda freaked out when my esc exploded and threw away my lipo and my almost finished simple scout. in fear of the lipo exploding and burning down the house. but I want to fly RC planes how can I not make my lipo explode?

AIRFORGE

Make It Fly!
Hi, it's been a while, You see i kinda freaked out when my esc exploded and threw away my lipo and my almost finished simple scout. in fear of the lipo exploding and burning down the house. but I want to fly RC planes how can I not make my lipo explode?
I charge them in a LiPo safe bag. I store them at storage charge (60%) in a LiPo bag, and in a metal ammo box. If they pop I lose the batteries, not a house/life.

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
No need to be afraid of lipos. You must give them proper respect. If you don't respect them, they will bite you hard. Possibly burning down your house

+1 on the metal storage/charging box.
If you are using an ammo box be sure to remove the rubber gasket. You want to let it vent.

I added drywall dividers to my ammo box. I have enough room inside the box to have a plastic bag of sand to cover the batteries. If one goes, hopefully the bag will melt, releasing the sand to contain the fire. Without the dividers, if one battery goes they all go.

Here is a video that explains.

Last edited:

RcLew

Very cool idea, thank you. I have a few ole tool box's kicking around, just might make me one into a bat box, all my bats set on the concrete floor of my man cave in the basement, and I charge them on the floor also.

quorneng

Master member
The safety of a LiPo also depends on how you use them.
Use a Watt meter to check before the first flight just how many amps is actually flowing at full power.
Is it within 75% of the ESC's rated capacity.
Is it within the motors claimed max constant amps.
Finally how many "c" does it represent being drawn from the battery. It really should be no more than 20c (equals 3 minutes max) and better 10c (6 minutes max)
A hard worked LiPo is more like to develop a weak cell which is then likely to give trouble either charging or in use.

FlyerInStyle

Elite member
I kwno this wasnt your question, but dont throw away the almsot finished scout? just replace the esc, and if its the esc htat exploded, the lipo should be just fine, but to be completely safe, get some lipo safe bags. they will keep the explosion form getting out of hand.

Bricks

Master member
The only time I have had a Lipo catch fire is after a crash they DO NOT EXPLODE. Just plain ol common sense goes a long way. I replaced the batteries in my battery powered drills and such with Lipo`s and they get beat to death and never have one catch fire. I would wager 99$ of Lipo fires is caused by a damaged battery.