FT Racer scratch build - I hate waiting on parts ;)

Tingler

watch not making the tail too heavy... My son and I just finished his and we have to run the battery ALL the way forward to get it to balance.
It really does scream though... we got a 9x6 prop for it but haven't tested it yet... So far my son has just been enjoying it with the 10x4.7.
Battery is the 3S-1800 75C. we added the spinner to also help balance it out.

Attachments

• IMG_1137.JPG
    IMG_1137.JPG
    3.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1136.JPG
    IMG_1136.JPG
    6.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1138.JPG
    IMG_1138.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 0

CarolineTyler

Legendary member
watch not making the tail too heavy... My son and I just finished his and we have to run the battery ALL the way forward to get it to balance.
It really does scream though... we got a 9x6 prop for it but haven't tested it yet... So far my son has just been enjoying it with the 10x4.7.
Battery is the 3S-1800 75C. we added the spinner to also help balance it out.
Lovely looking model....I was wondering about adding a bubble cockpit, yours is super, is it from a soda bottle?
With the foamboard you can get at craft shops here, tail heavy is nearly always an issue :)

Tingler

Lovely looking model....I was wondering about adding a bubble cockpit, yours is super, is it from a soda bottle?
With the foamboard you can get at craft shops here, tail heavy is nearly always an issue :)

"craft shops here, tail heavy is nearly always an issue"
That's what I'm learning. Seems to be a common theme.. but knowledge is power so I'm compensating now for that when I create.

The bubble is "super" easy to make. Coincidentally for the FT Racer the width and and shape of the fuse, you can simply cut the top half of a liter soda bottle and voila you have a bubble widow. No further shaping required. I tried other methods using a heat gun but that type of plastic shrinks when heated so you need a vacuum in order to shape it which is way more work than I'm willing to put out.

73867016_614.jpg

CarolineTyler

Legendary member

"craft shops here, tail heavy is nearly always an issue"
That's what I'm learning. Seems to be a common theme.. but knowledge is power so I'm compensating now for that when I create.

The bubble is "super" easy to make. Coincidentally for the FT Racer the width and and shape of the fuse, you can simply cut the top half of a liter soda bottle and voila you have a bubble widow. No further shaping required. I tried other methods using a heat gun but that type of plastic shrinks when heated so you need a vacuum in order to shape it which is way more work than I'm willing to put out.

View attachment 124123
Cockpit glass it shall be :)
Thanks!

Tingler

I think it really adds not only to the aesthetics but also to aerodynamics..
The inside part is just good O'l photoshop, printed out paper and popped into place. Gives it something fun to look. If you paint it, watch out for silver paint.. it tends to not adhere as well as the other paints do. I think it's because of the metalics that are in it.
did a simple 300 sand to dull it, krylon white primer, then mask and paint.... it was first time we did the rattle can method.. I like it but in future will know what to do and not do.. don't paint over packing tape either.. doensn't stick even when sanded and primed. Also do the lightest squeegy of hot glue over the main edges so that the paint doesn't eat the foam away.

you'll have to post yours when you get finished. I love seeing the different paint jobs people do. Some are incredible!

Tingler

Oh, also forgot.. to mount it, if you don't want to glue or tape it on, I went to the autoparts store or Ace hardware and picked up these tiny little push clips used on car door molding and then mounted the window using those.. use a little drill bit, a pointy skewer and a tiny bit of hot glue in the hole and push the pin in and it stays rock solid.. I thought it had a bit of a rivit mechanical look to the plane. The size I got was about 1/4 long and maybe a little less than 3/16 diameter head. the ridges work really well with the foam in holding into place.

Plastic-240p-12-Sizes-Car-Push-Pin-Rivet-_1.jpg

Any how cheers!

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
FYI..
If you take gorilla white wood glue and coat your edges it seals it and soaks into the paper if you go out over the paper a few mm.

Its sandable, paintable, and far less added weight then hot glueing exposed edges.

Tingler

FYI..
If you take gorilla white wood glue and coat your edges it seals it and soaks into the paper if you go out over the paper a few mm.

Its sandable, paintable, and far less added weight then hot glueing exposed edges.

Nice!, didn't know that would work. I'm building a FT Bushwacker and will be applying that technique to the edges.. Thanks for the tip!

Arcfyre

Elite member
Great job on that build! Either I'm making this up, or you have some exceptionally clean fold lines on your airfoil. Looks awesome! Good luck on your maiden.

CarolineTyler

Legendary member
Servos in, push-rods and horns fitted, throws set. OK :)
Ordered some little plastic rivet bits to make the canopy look good, just finished a bottle of Pepsi Max, so have the plastic.
This plane will be purple (my favourite colour) and silver.
Now I want a spinner on the front - want want want !! Will I never be satisfied ?? lol!!!

CarolineTyler

Legendary member
Well I cut the top of a two litre bottle of Pepsi Max, avoiding the two seams and it was just a bit too small.
Looking back at the picture @Tingler posted, it looks more like a three litre bottle.
Darn it! I'm going to just have to drink more Pepsi Max, got a three litre bottle on the way home from work.

CarolineTyler

Legendary member
Managed nearly to get a decent bubble cockpit for the FT Flyer...so close but need another seven or eight millimetres of length.
Bought two more three litre bottles of Pepsi Max, so will have another two shots to get this cockpit right.
In the meantime I have started the spray painting of the plane after giving it a light sealing against wet.
Purple top, white bottom.
Started of course with the white.
IMG_20190225_174358356.jpg
Tomorrow will mask off and do the top.