I have some further questions about the ft flyer aileron mod help!

Spence

Hi all, I purchased the parts to make the ft flyer aileron mod possible, but the tube that the parts came in from flite test one cap was popped off when I got it only leaving the 18(store said 20) control horns hanging out. I sent a request to flite test and I just today got the new order of 8 pushrods and the 6 linkage stoppers, and a bonus 20 free control horns! But, here is the how to sort of on how to mod the ft flyer with ailerons http://flitetest.com/articles/ft-flyer-with-ailerons. It said that the wings need to be flat, and the sbk kit ft flyer doesn't have flat wings. It has dihedral. I am still able to roll my ft flyer with the rudder, but it does kind of an eccentric roll and I have to go up really high to do it. So should I just build another ft flyer with a flat wing and then add ailerons? The sbk kit ft flyer is still in really good shape, but I think i want the ability to do more tricks with the ft flyer's great speed envelope of not having to carry loads of speed. What is it like flying a flat wing plane? is it scary if you already have mastered a poly/di hedral winged plane? Does it stick where you put it? I mean I have two black sheets of dollar tree foam board just lying around. I also have 4 hxt 900 9gram servos, pushrods, linkage stoppers etc....

Thanks,
Spence

mjmccarron

With dihedral the ailerons won't respond as well. If you want to do a flat wing, just get ahold of a sheet of DTFB and cut a new one and install your ailerons on that leaving your SBK as a 3ch. I haven't tried an aileron mod on a Flyer yet so that's just my humble opinion. Flying with a flat wing will not be scary but you do have to counter your turns. It won't self level as quickly if at all but it won't be prone to sudden instability and should have many of the dihedral wings characteristics. Most aileron (4ch) planes still have some dihedral. I would think that even with dihedral the aileron mod would still work but not as well as with a flat wing. To me, a more serious concern would be adverse yaw caused by the down side aileron acting more like a flap and inducing drag. This is like adding opposite rudder in a turn. This is even more prevalent due to the big angle of attack the "drag lifting" wing flies at (incidence). Differential aileron throw is used to counter or minimize this effect. That's where the up throw is greater than the down throw. This can be done mechanically or by using two aileron servos. In any event, keep us posted.

Have fun,

Mike

Spence

so should I try it with my ft flyer? the current sbk kit one that i have that has dihedral? well it for sure has dihedral because I can see the cabon fiber rod that is supposed to prevent the wings from folding doesn't go flat across the wing. So should I give it a try?

mjmccarron

Why not? Its call "Flite Test" Not "Flite Sure Thing" Give it a try. If you don't like it you can just tape the ailerons over with packing tape and go back to 3ch. If it works as good as the video you posted it should be a lot of fun...

Spence

Ok, here it goes, I will get started soon. so if it works ok with the dihedral, I may build one with no dihedral and have some fun

Last edited:

Spence

My ft flyer with the ailerons flew terrible! No matter what i did it would always wing grind the ground to one side(tried trimming the ailerons to one side, the rudder) It is also wet now, so I don't have a plane to fly yay(I am just going to build a new ft flyer out of black dtfb without ailerons) 2014-11-29 11.39.17.jpg 2014-11-29 11.39.32.jpg 2014-11-29 11.39.38.jpg 2014-11-29 11.40.04.jpg

mjmccarron

Hi Spence,
Sorry to hear about your aileron Flyer. I don't mean to insult your intelligence but check that your ailerons are not reversed. looking at the plane from the back, when you move the stick left the left aileron should go up. If they're reversed it can cause what you describe. In reality, you should have been able to leave the aileron stick neutral and fly just as before on rudder/elevator. Anyway, give it a quick look.

Black DTFB is not as good for some reason as it's white counterpart. The paper doesn't stick nearly as well so be aware of this and seal your edges. The tiled plans have only one wing shown on them. you have to flip it over and trace the other from the half template.

Good luck. Don't give up on ailerons. I'm sure you'll get there.

Mike

Spence

I think I will just give up for now, build an ft flyer from the black dtfb and just have fun with a design that works.

dholcomb

4 Flyers with Ailerons

I have built 4 FT Flyers with Ailerons so far. Working on the 5th one now. The short of it is I was flying my Flyer at the field and someone said, "I sure would like to have one of those if it had ailerons." That started the trend. My ailerons look different than you may think and I use 2 servos to power them. They fly great. I am now trying to find a way to power the ailerons with only one servo.

Good luck on your adventures. Keep trying and you will get it soon enough.

Thanks for letting me share,
David...

100_0205.jpg 100_0206.jpg 100_0207.jpg

Ron B

Posted a thousand or more times
Lazermule
are you going to put floats on it so you can fly in all that snow?