Solved I noticed that while use the rudder it puts me in a nose dive every time and im not sure why

RossFPV

If i use the rudder while flying it puts me in a nose dive and 50% of the time i crash, anyone know what to do to stop it from happening?

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
While turning, it’s normal to need some up elevator to maintain altitude. Your solution may be just up more elevator.

There could also be something else going on, a video would help us determine the issue.

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
I agree with the others:
- fly a little higher to give you more time to correct.
- add more up elevator.
- uses less rudder, at a few points you had the wings vertical in the turns.
- you might be a touch tail heavy, try moving the CG forward 1/4 inch

RossFPV

i was doing some practice on a sim and i think i got it sorta figured out, i know it will be a bit different with a real plane. I also practice some bank and yank with the ailerons and elevator so if i struggle with one i can try my luck with the other. Thanks for the help!

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
...I also practice some bank and yank with the ailerons...
There is not a lot of difference between rudder only and rudder plus aileron. The aileron surface tends to be larger than the rudder surface giving the aileron more control. The solution, turn down the aileron throws.

You have a lot of rudder throw, you’ll be able to switch to aileron without any issues.
In the mean time, turn down your rudder throws until you get a bit more experience. Then, when you are ready for some more fun, crank up the throws.

RossFPV

Or if you want the easy way out, mix rudder and elevator. It's a crutch for sure but sometimes you want to take the easy way out.
I dont know if my tx can do that but I wouldn’t anyway because i want to learn how to use all controls without any crutches.

quorneng

Master member
Squashymoon125
To be fair a rudder input will always create a nose down pitch. The degree of nose down depends on the angle of bank from the yaw the rudder input has created. As you have found out the natural aerodynamics of a delta plan form make it very roll sensitive to a yaw input.
What you have to remember is that the rudder input to initiate a turn is not the same as that required to maintain the required bank. The more the bank the more up elevator is required to keep the nose up. It may also require a touch of opposite rudder to regain wings level at the required point. The two controls have to be continually "coordinated" to turn smoothly. Take practise to do it well.

skymaster

Elite member
Or if you want the easy way out, mix rudder and elevator. It's a crutch for sure but sometimes you want to take the easy way out.
yes but not quite I was going to comment on some one else's post but. but your's came up. I read some where that you cam mix not elevator but ailerons and rudder which make's sense picture ailerons make the plane tilt on its side and the rudder will make it pitch up or down which ever way you are going. please correct me if im wrong.

RossFPV

yes but not quite I was going to comment on some one else's post but. but your's came up. I read some where that you cam mix not elevator but ailerons and rudder which make's sense picture ailerons make the plane tilt on its side and the rudder will make it pitch up or down which ever way you are going. please correct me if im wrong.
That is actually exactly what i was doing on my simulator and it works good on that

quorneng

Master member
Actually for a full "coordinated" turn you need to use all three controls at once as well as a possible power adjustment. The inputs are likely to be of a different magnitude to enter and maintain a turn.
In full size the pilot has a simple instrument, the turn and slip indicator, which will show whether he is maintaining a true 'neutral' turn.
Of course flying from the ground you don't have this help. :(

Last edited: