I saw a video that you are supposed to service your bl motor bearings. Is that true?

Spence

Hi all, I was surfing youtube, and I came across a video that you are supposed to service the motor bearings by putting oil in them. Is this crazy, or should it be done on a regular basis?

Thanks,
Spence

Winglet

No, Don't do that. Chances are you will mess something up or loose one of the little c clips. They run forever without any maintenance.

Mike

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
I oil mine but I don't take the bearings apart, or the motors, usually. Most of them you can get to without so a drop can help. If your motors aren't having issues, I wouldn't worry too much Spence. The main issue is with multi rotors where one bad or binding motor can be extremely bad. Just spin your motors and check for the crunchy. No crunchy, no worry!

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
Nope, not until you need to. What I mean is you'll know if/when they ever need to be oiled by making a new sound or crunching when you spin them. If you crash in a puddle or mud or really fine sand, then you might, but if they spin freely, no worries. Go have fun!

Winglet

You will probably have to run the motor at least 100 hours before you MIGHT even think about it. Please don't do it Spence. You will probably regret it?

Mike

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
There is no danger in oiling the bearings, so long as you use a good quality machine oil. The danger highlighted here is in disassembling the motor to get to them.

In most cases it's a non-issue, since you can get to the top and bottom bearings with nothing more than removing any prop/spinner and/or removing it from the firewall. Even then, in many cases it can be done on the assembeld airframe.

If it's that simple, a drop on each every dozen or two flights. If it's not that simple, I'd skip lubricating it -- There's not that much added benefit for the risk of damage durring disassembly.

AeroMaestro

I had a motor seize up on me only once --- it was a motor that had spent a night underwater in a swamp. It was making a raspy noise when I spun the prop, but I was stubborn and dumb and tried to fly it anyway. It lasted about two more flights and then stuck for good, bringing my quadcopter down.

Since then I've kept my motors out of water, and have never had another one go bad. (And I only buy cheapo motors <$15.)

Balu

Lurker
Staff member
Admin
I bathe my copter in transformer oil before and after each flight...

Just kidding =).

But I remember a story about a LAN party where one participant brought a big tub and started filling it with transformer oil. When it was nearly full he submerged his whole freaking PC in it... I've yet to see a bigger liquid cooling system. =)

Spence

so I really don't need to worry about oiling the bearings? My turnigy d2822 motor is nearly new with only 2 or three flights on it. the bearings make a tiny bit of noise maybe because they are new and need to break in

Team_Monkey

I may be an electrical engineer now but as a past certified mechanic I can tell you a little maintenance and care can go a long way. Yes I buy cheap motors too but there's no sense to just let them wear out faster. We need that money to buy more batteries. ;) Do you have to do it, not in the least. But what will it hurt to add a drop of oil once in awhile. I build new planes enough that the bearings maybe get a drop of oil once a year.

Oh and your bearing don't need to break in. The second they roll of the assembly line they are as good as they are ever going to be. Now if you had an EDF, you might have to "wear in" the fins to the schroud, but it's not to break in the bearings.

Good luck!

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
Spence, If you have a good oil AND can get to the bearings without taking the motors apart, a drop every 5-10 flights is just a bit of peace of mind. If not, just check the motor every now and then and you'll be just fine. As you've seen here, some oil, some don't. All fly and have fun! Just sayin'! ;)

makattack

Winter is coming
Mentor
I personally oil my most heavily used motors with a drop on the bearings without taking them apart. I have a spray can of boeshield t9, which I believe is a paraffin based lubricant. I had this stuff for bike use, but it works very well on my bl motors.

Last edited:

Spence

Won't that make a mess? does that stuff work? and can it be applied without taking the motor apart?

Last edited:

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
I use BSB high speed lubricant. It's made for skateboard and rollerblade bearings. Just what I happened to have on hand so it's what I use. Any thinner oil should work. Just don't make the mistake of using WD-40 as a lube. It's a moisture displacer and while it DOES have lubricating properties, they aren't a substitute for a good thin oil. If you are looking for more info, I found this by Googling "bearing lubricants":

Windsor L-245X is synthetic light Ester oil with an extremely low base viscosity (11.8 cSt at 40C). This lubricant is used in a wide variety of applications from aerospace and medical instruments to hobby applications. It is most commonly specified where minimal starting and running torque are requirements and low heat or loads can be expected. The pour point of Windsor L-245X is -65C with a flash point of 227C. This oil is specified for many applications required to meet MIL-L-6085 and MIL-PRF-6085. It is best suited for applications that fall within a temperature range for -57 to 177C. Windsor L-245X also contains a corrosion inhibitor and is often used as a protective coating for chrome steel bearings.

Sounds like it's perfect if we can find it!