I'm a Noob, Here's my introduction with scratch build pics.

RichardEllis

Went to the sniper range today to get some trigger time. Heres a few pics for you guys who like guns. Also pic of some rockets being shot off out in the distance, startled me, nobody knew they were being launched...lol. 100_0764.JPG 100_0765.JPG 100_0768.JPG 100_0770.JPG 100_0774.JPG 100_0775.JPG 100_0777.JPG 100_0778.JPG 100_0779.JPG

RichardEllis

Here is the progress of the foam board RQ11 fuselage so far. Also have found a thin foam tube to cover the half inch wood boom. 100_0753.JPG 100_0754.JPG 100_0755.JPG 100_0756.JPG 100_0757.JPG 100_0758.JPG 100_0759.JPG 100_0784.JPG

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
Congrat's on getting back to work! Not much else feels worse than honing a skill you enjoy only to sit it on a shelf.

Ironic, your fuse now looks more like a rifle. Looks good, less like a potato gun, but still in the projectile hurling category ;)

Only comment is take a look at it nose on. That big flat part is gonna be a big source of drag. You could make it narrower or taper it to a point. the tapering would give more drag than narrowing, but keeping a wider base will be stronger . . . tradeoffs.

RichardEllis

ya being my own design and first time making a rounded piece or never rounding at all actually that is why it is square and tapered. I will more then likely just add a piece of poster board to round it.

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
sounds like you're way ahead of me! Is this fuse for the short wing or the long one?

RichardEllis

the fuse is for the poly dihedral wing i built for my RQ-11 that i bought from nitroplanes.com I designed the fuse so that my wing is swappable. I will take some pics as soon as my camera is charged.

RichardEllis

Cool build, but most of all, thanks for your service!! Our freedom in this country depends on guys like you!!!
Thanks for the appreciation of our service members. I am serving until retirement, I enjoy my job everyday I put the uniform on with the U.S. flag on my right shoulder. I really wish every citizen would serve and experience what it means to be a soldier and will appreciate our country and freedom, there are no words that can describe what that feels like. Most people don't know this but only about 0.4% of the U.S. population serve or served in the military, it's unfortunate that percent is so low.

RichardEllis

Sorry everyone who has been waiting the pics of my RQ-11 copy (100% foam board) so here it is. As a bonus I also built a 40" wing just like the "FPV40" someone built except I combined the armin technique and didn't want to use insulation. The 40" delta type wing weighs 213g without 16"X2" fuselage and with fuse it weighs 242g. The 100% foam board RQ-11 type weighs 712grams. 100_0822.JPG 100_0823.JPG 100_0824.JPG 100_0825.JPG 100_0826.JPG 100_0827.JPG 100_0828.JPG

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
Richard,

Wing looks nice! And at 250g + about 150-200g of electronics she should fly nice with an 85-150W system (or more, if you add an FPV payload and want something really zippy to film!). I'm assuming you're setting her up as a tractor?

If I may recomend, make her the second or third plane you learn to fly. Wings are fun, but tricky. I'm playing around with my first wing, and she's been lawn-darted more times than she deserves due to my lacking skill. On the positive side, the design is fairly damage resistant, so she's shaken it off with no more than a broken prop and a seperated firewall (and a broken camera -- really souldn't be hotdogging while I'm learning). You might be replacing that fuse, but you'll have to do something REALLY fancy to tear up the wing.

RQ-11 is comming along well, too. 700g should give you plenty of budget to play with and keep the stall speed low.

BTW, I agree more people need to find ways to serve our country -- people treat what they've invested time and energy in with greater respect -- but our MIL, LEOs, and first responders (for whatever they respond to) need to be the cream of the crop. Your pride in that flag on your sholder is well earned!

RichardEllis

thanks dan, I just ordered all of electronics off hobbyking, and the shipping was expensive! $98 for shipping on a $302 order so $400 all together. I bought a total of 5 DT750 and 5 turnigy plush 25amp ESC, the turnigy 9X Tx/Rx, turnigy lipo 2200mah 3s 20c batteries (2 of them) a hobbyking brand charger for now, some 8x4.5 props 8 of them with 4 being reverse rotation. Also bought the HK 450mm quadcopter frame, kk 2.0, some 3.5mm bullet connectors, 10 60cm servo extentions, some air horns, 8 9gram HXT servos for now, a battery alarm, a bunch of push rods, a distribution self solder board, a distribution 4 x 3.5mm x XT60 presoldered power wires for the quad, a bag of XT60 connectors, and I think thats it....LoL My wife wasn't very happy. :)

Last edited:

RichardEllis

After reviewing my hobbyking order I realized I accidently ordered 2 kk 2.0 boards. Any ideas what to do with it??? I'm thinking flashing it with openaero firmware :)

Johan

Happend to me the other way around: I ordered 3 motors (as intended), but only 1 ESC (fail).
In the end, the motors were out of stock, so the 2 ESC's I ordered extra actually made it first as I had to select alternative motors...
Might as wel keep the KK2 around, never know what happens and having one spare is better thatn to have to wait a few weeks ...

RichardEllis

I would be so upset if I didn't order enough components for something to work. I'm still a noob to this hobby so the patience is killing me right now and I'm currently off work for two weeks vacations and it sucks waiting. I am definitely keeping the extra one for a back up.

Johan

I recognize how you feel, tracing parcel(s), waiting for them to arrive (they turned up on most unexpected moments, but that is another story).

I thought I had everything covered when stuff started coming in, until I saw the length of the tail-servo wire for my tricopter. Then I realized I forgot a servo extension cord.. Cheap, but easily forgotten component.

Bought it locally, more expensive than when I'd thought of it right away when ordering the other stuff at HK (could have had 5 for the same price).
It's those small things you forget (I'm also a noob at this).

Forgot to mention: what to do with an extra KK2: rchacker is experimenting (as always):

Might want to check out http://www.rchacker.com/diy/arduino-on-the-kk2-multicopter-controller

Nice builds B.T.W !

Last edited:

RichardEllis

checked out that site looks pretty cool, also some very informative DIY on there. found a link from rchacker to a few places that offer a 1W LRS system for under a $100 and a insane 7W booster for transmitter (maybe use after I get experience). I will post pictures and maiden videos once my items come in the mail.

RichardEllis

Found a awesome 1920x1080 @ 30fps HD camera with a link to modify the housing for FPV for $70 and can use the LCD if you want. Some say it performs as well as gopro if not better and at that price I bought one! It can be purchased from Aliexpress.com

Model: F8000
Technology: very similar as gopro

Originally by KKUSA from rcgroups

Click the link for full details: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1680718

DSCF4005.JPG DSCF4043.JPG DSCF4054.JPG DSCF4055.JPG

Another great cheap chinese product... :)

Last edited: