I'm a Noob, Here's my introduction with scratch build pics.

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
Has that hefty order arrived yet?

Seems to me you the money you save is made up for in suffering, but it can be worth it . . . after the wait is over . . .

BTW, That's a nifty little DVR -- what's your weight on the setup?

RichardEllis

No order hasn't arrived yet. I did however see that swiss postal has finally passed customs in LAX airport (California) as of 10th August. It is now the 12th and the new tracking number I traced to USPS website using google search. Still no update on USPS, Swiss postal, or hobby king website as to where it is right now. In regards to the DVR, I decided to cancel my order on it, the pictures I posted on here were from RCgroups website on someone who figured out how to dissemble it. After reviewing and reading all the posts on that dvr, alot of people were having trouble getting it to AV out in live mode, I wish read further in the forum before I ordered it from aliexpress. Aliexpress is another issue I am having. I contacted the seller to cancel the order and so far the seller is saying it already shipped DHL, upsetting for now I will either cause a problem in DHL and never get refunded or see it and probably lose my money, by the way the dvr shipped was $100 :( I am starting to hate the international shipping side of this hobby and I havn't even got anything I built off the ground yet....uhh

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
Don't fret, at least not too much. It will be better when you have something to fly besides what you are waiting for parts on. Nothing frustrates me more than having everything down waiting on the slow boat...

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
Xume is right, that first shipping pause is torture, but after that it's a real mother of invention -- can get really creative when you need just that one part . . .

$100 that's a hefty hit, but at least it's a decent vid cam. Probably can re-purpose to a hat-cam w/o much trouble.

RichardEllis

got confirmation email from aliexpress and the funds will be back in my account in 7-10 business days, so thats good. The hobbyking order however blows. Here is a copy and paste from swiss postal on my order.

Date Status Location
2013-08-10 15:41:50 Departed warehouse INGLEWOOD CA 90301
2013-08-10 15:41:07 Received at warehouse INGLEWOOD CA 90301
2013-08-10 14:00:00 Cleared Customs
2013-08-07 16:14:30 Departed warehouse SWISS POST HNG 852
2013-08-07 10:13:44 Received data FOTAN HNG 852

***so does this mean that my packages are physically sitting in california right now? Also swiss postal website supplied a new tracking numer, typed into google and it shows it is linked to USPS but when I went to website and tracked it all it said was this:

The U.S. Postal Service was electronically notified by the shipper on August 7, 2013 to expect your package for mailing. This does not indicate receipt by the USPS or the actual mailing date. Delivery status information will be provided if/when available. Information, if available, is updated periodically throughout the day. Please check again later.

What the hell is going on?

Tritium

Amateur Extra Class K5TWM
Swiss Post handed off to USPS for the final leg of delivery. It should be about 5 days out now if it goes like my past orders.

Thurmond

RichardEllis

So I should be in the home stretch? I just called USPS and all their system shows is the contact notification on the 7th from Swiss postal to print label for my package. This process is crazy, it wouldn't bother me as much if it wasn't a $400 purchase. Also being everything in the package to get started flying: Turnigy 9x, Lipo's, motors, esc, props, servos, etc... I guess I can hand launch my scratch builds in my tiny back yard and see if they glide...lol, fml.

Last edited:

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
I guess I can hand launch my scratch builds in my tiny back yard and see if they glide...lol, fml.
Make sure a little up elevator is set!

Sorry, Richard. I couldn't resist but I know how frustrating waiting can be... I'm pretty sure we all do.

RichardEllis

Make sure a little up elevator is set!

Sorry, Richard. I couldn't resist but I know how frustrating waiting can be... I'm pretty sure we all do.

Hahaha, almost died laughing, xuzme720 you smart ass :) and yes waiting sucks, especially since this is my last week off from work and wanted to focus time off to fly.

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
Hahaha, almost died laughing, xuzme720 you smart ass
FINALLY!! Recognition!! :p
:) and yes waiting sucks, especially since this is my last week off from work and wanted to focus time off to fly.
Wow...yes I think we have all been there. At least you can blame someone else. I had one bit of down time that my first flights with everything I had airworthy, ended in a parts order and shut me down for the whole stretch. Broke one of the last set of props on the multi(only had the hex back then), boom strike on a heavy landing just hovering on the T-rex, almost lost my foamie delta (a combat version, not the FT) and it was just too windy(why I almost lost the delta) for everything else...
I did get a video of the delta crash though...

Last edited:

RichardEllis

I seen your you hex on youtube, pretty cool videos. Right now I am working on something that I feel flight test should of done in the first scratch build. It will be in new thread on this forum.

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
I seen your you hex on youtube, pretty cool videos. Right now I am working on something that I feel flight test should of done in the first scratch build. It will be in new thread on this forum.
Aw thanks man! I know the production value is seriously lacking but I'm working on that...

I saw the Super cub. Now that looks like it will be a real looker when she's done if you get everything you have planned done.

RichardEllis

Thanks, and I think your hex is awesome so far. I bought the rotor bones anycopter kit and know for sure that I will probably build that first before the fixed wing flyers I got going on. Gotta get me a one of those gopro's and 5.8 tx/rx. fatsharks for sure after that.

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
I guess I should do an update since that hex is still with us, but looks much different now with a multi wii w/GPS running megapirate. It also has a little brother anycopter quad and soon to come, either another hex or 2 tri's running KK2's. (I only have 2 KK2's right now so I'll need to think about that one...) I'm also working on a FT spitfire and have a newly arrived box with a 3D and a Versa wing in it...

Some pics!
DSC_0409.JPG
DSC_0410.JPG
DSC_0411.JPG

I need to get some color on the FT stuff, but I just got a box of colored packing tape and a can of minwax, so I have some choices there...

This isn't all my models, just what I was talking about...I have a bunch more, in various states of airworthyness! lol

Last edited:

RichardEllis

Goodies!!! Unfortunately I didn't realize I ordered only 1 Turnigy plush 25amp ESC so I ordered 4 more through the u.s. warehouse this time. Also ordered some raw servo wire (5meters) and 20pieces of JR type male/female connectors, and a turnigy esc program card. 100_0848.JPG 100_0849.JPG

Johan

Goodies!!! Unfortunately I didn't realize I ordered only 1 Turnigy plush 25amp ESC so I ordered 4 more through the u.s. warehouse this time.

You're not alone :)
My 'main order' contained 3 motors, but also only 1 ESC...
Later I also discovered the servo lead for my tail rotor needed extension .. and that Lipo's might need charging ...
If I look at the picture, it reminds me pretty much of my first order (75% overlap).

Have fun with the goodies !

RichardEllis

ya it does suck not having all your esc's, but atleast i have one so i can fly fixed wing for now. Right now I just dug in the closet and pulled out a old xbox 360 power supply brick and made my own supply for my cheap HK ECO six charger. Here some working pics of it! Exciting to solder things you know... :) 100_0850.JPG 100_0856.JPG

RichardEllis

If anyone wants to know how to do it heres the simple instructions:

There is a total of 8 wires in the cord.
-3 wires are yellow (positive)
-3 wires are black (ground)
-2 smaller wires blue and a red (signal 5 volt)

-simply twist all 3 yellow wires together and pretin
-twist all 3 black wires and pretin solder
-then directly connect the blue and red together

-obviously connect the yellow group of wires to red lead on the cut off aligator clip that came with the charger
-lastly connect the black to black wires