Is there a FT version of the Sea Dart?

Jaburns73

I've made this one twice with no luck, and I like the way the FT designs build way better. See attached plans.

Just curious if there is something existing that I'm not finding...

Thank you!

Attachments

• seadart_v2_full.pdf
    83.6 KB · Views: 0

Jaburns73

I've already built the sea otter twice; great plane, just has a lot of stalling, and am almost done with my sea duck which I think will turn out great, but I want to build something like this or the dragonfly, just to have something a bit different. Getting ready for summer and flying from the pontoon! I'm a terrible pilot and need backups....

agupt108

I've made this one twice with no luck, and I like the way the FT designs build way better. See attached plans.

Thank you!
http://rc-plans.com/catalog/item286.html This is the one you have, right? It looks pretty good... This website has a lot of info on the plane too...maybe you could hot wire cut the parts or design something? http://www.fiddlersgreen.net/models/aircraft/Convair-SeaDart.html

Jaburns73

Thanks, yep that's the one, when I tried this one before, it was one of my first builds, I printed it off again today and am going to try again. It's just kind of a flimsy build, maybe I'll try some type of wing doubling with spars and an airfoil with a bigger motor...thoughts?

agupt108

Thanks, yep that's the one, when I tried this one before, it was one of my first builds, I printed it off again today and am going to try again. It's just kind of a flimsy build, maybe I'll try some type of wing doubling with spars and an airfoil with a bigger motor...thoughts?
I don't know; maybe packing tape as a reinforment + some bamboo skewers can use the skewers to hold the structure better...I have just started rc foam builds so I do not know much

Jaburns73

Maiden flight on this one today...
IMG_20230304_085232_01.jpg

Tench745

Master member

Thank you!
You say you built it "with no luck," what does that mean? Did it not fly? You mention it was flimsy.
Per Agupt's link, the original was designed for depron foam with carbon-fiber reinforcement. Depron is a pretty flexible foam (think foamboard without the paper) but the cf stiffens the structure tremendously.