Help! Jim Young DH.88 build

SprncerT

I recently purchased a DH.88 kit designed by Jim Young. The plane’s beautiful appearance and fascinating history has stunted me to the point of buying the kit. It’s nothing too special... 50” wingspan, twin engine balsa kit. The only problem is that I am fairly new to building balsa planes. With only one other kit under my belt I’m a little afraid that I have bit off more than I can chew. The plans look great and the build instructions seem like they would satisfy an experienced builder. But there are a few things I am clueless on, like sheeting the wings and fuselage. If anyone has any general info that can help me, or if anyone has built this kit, please let me know.
5E093655-FBA1-44D6-9140-63B8B34138A3.jpeg

Link to Kit

OliverW

Legendary member
I recently purchased a DH.88 kit designed by Jim Young. The plane’s beautiful appearance and fascinating history has stunted me to the point of buying the kit. It’s nothing too special... 50” wingspan, twin engine balsa kit. The only problem is that I am fairly new to building balsa planes. With only one other kit under my belt I’m a little afraid that I have bit off more than I can chew. The plans look great and the build instructions seem like they would satisfy an experienced builder. But there are a few things I am clueless on, like sheeting the wings and fuselage. If anyone has any general info that can help me, or if anyone has built this kit, please let me know. View attachment 138066

Link to Kit
While I haven't built this kit, I can recommend just send it! Follow the instructions close to heart and you can't go wrong.

SprncerT

The instructions are decent. Not as detailed as I would like them to be. They are very vague on the electronics placement although the plans provide a little more information on them. I will post some pictures of what I have done so far soon.

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
That's a great looking plane! If you run into confusing spots, just go slow and post lots of pictures and questions - we're all happy to help! :D

SprncerT

Ordered all of the wood that wasn’t included with the kit. Not too bad... about $50. I also have completed the rudder and elevator.
6504854F-2A5E-4956-9296-E00743C3A518.jpeg
I used nylon hinges for the control surfaces. It was kind of hard to slot the wood because of how thin it was. You can see that I had to replace a section where the blade I used to cut the slots cut through the top of the wood.

SprncerT

That’s the plan. I’ve received all of the wood I need to complete the build and I’m planning on doing the sheeting for the bottom of the wings next. After the sheeting is done I’ll build the rest of the wing on top of it as shown in the instructions. The whole plane is sheeted with balsa so if anyone has any tips, please let me know. I’m most concerned with this process.

SprncerT

That’s pretty cool! It makes sense to replicate this plane in a larger scale because the full scale was kinda built like a model. It was a wood plane with fairly simple construction. Maybe I’ll build that one next😂