jipp's first 250 fpv racer style build thread. lets rock.

jipp

looks nice to me!
good you went for the carbon arms, as RCmodelreviews recommends, the other ones break real quick.
hovercraft landing gear is a great tip-off, im also looking for a solution

@jhitesma great idea, filing CF under water! i didnt know you could do that! duh..

thanks, hey if you learn anything reading through this mess of a thread, then im glad i posted my ignorance.. i know iv learn so much from when i first got the idea i wanted to try and fly a quad. hah let alone build one.

the hovercraft legs are well made and the perfect height too.

the 12mm lift kit was a after thought as i did not know you could buy all these stuff for the ZMR frame..
so i originally planed on installed the ESC on the arms like they are now so i cut the wires from the motor to about 1" long for such.. but after mounting the ZMR Lift kit, if i would of held off on cutting the motor wires i could of mounted the ESC ad PDB in between the two carbon bottom plates and made it nice and clean looking..

i am collecting parts for my next build.. and i hope to install the ESC, and PDB i between the spacer kit my next frame comes with..

the main problem with the 1806 is its like 1/16th not long enough i think.. and that 1/16th needs to be towards the center hole.. but i do not know if there is enough material yet.. but if you go with 2204 motors there will be zero issues..

now if i would of had these when i started the build i would of just taped the hovercraft legs to the carbon fiber frame and made them line up. and it would of been pretty strait forward process. but trying to do this with out tearing the arms/esc off etc its gonna be more trouble than it maybe worth.
chris.

jipp

Update, well parts have been coming in this month for my next project. i will start a thread for that project soon.

however, thought id give a update on the quad.. so far im very happy at the ZMR frame.. regardless what some have said about this frame. its been bullet proof so far iv crashed it quite a few times and no damage yet. im quite happy with this as i was afraid of my solder joints etc breaking from a piss poor solder job.. but it seems no cold solder joints of they would of broke long ago. i think i will be building two more kits for gifts later on. but maybe i should do nano qx and offer to build them.. after all my brother and brother in law make good cash and are not disabled. laughs.. but i like to give. always have been that way even before i became dirt poor. that feeling to give is still in side me for some stupid reason. blah.

im getting a little better at flying.. iv been flying the blade nano qx bound up to the DX6i everyday now to the point i have worn out the 1s battery's they no longer will hover the blade nano.. but the practice is helping with the larger quad its also forcing me more stick time with the pos dx6i.. ( im gonna have to buy 6 more battery's, i think i will not order anymore than 5-6 at a time if they only last a few months. this time i will go with a 160mah battery as my blade nano qx runs LEDS too) as normaly i would get most of my time on the flight sim with a different TX.. i think i may just retire the hitec optic 6 FM TX and keep using the dx6i so i keep improving. and i can use the optic 6 fm if i ever get into long range stuff as i understand its good for that kind of thing.

so far this weekend when i was out at the lake with my family, practicing with my quad.. while my brother and brother in law played with the Nano. i got a little brave and flew over water. LOL..
i was a nervous wreck on that pass but I had to show off to my little sis you know.. big bro thing i guess.

anyhow, look forward to my next build which i will be starting soon.. as im curious how another quad frame will handle.

maybe all minis handle the same, or maybe not.. all i know is this next build i plan on being a high end build but i may end up with a compromise since i already have a set of motors and esc that were practically given to me.. hard to beat that kind of deal yeah.
but i think i will use the motors since trying to get cobras is pretty hard it seems. they are always sold out to the point i was just gonna compromise and use sunny sky even with the bad rep.. but iv been quite happy with the emax 1806 so i think i will give these emax 2004 a try. granted iv not need any kind of performance or speed.. which then my opinion may change.. but for learning to hover and stuff emax seem to be ok. think im gonna use bullet connectors maybe so i can replace the motors on the fly to test with other motors on sight instead of having to solder.. but we will figure that out on my next build thread.

so with that thanks again guys for the help on this build and future builds..

for you guys who do not live in a environment that wants to kill you be it bugs,reptiles,animals,plants,weather, whatever.. i will leave you with this guy kicking it in my font yard pissing off my dogs.. last week it was a rattle snake; unfortunately that was at night and i could not get a picture.. and he almost bit me because i heard him but could not see him.. Im thankful rattles snakes give you any kind of warning i guess ( i would not do well with a snake bite with my health that is for sure.. one almost killed my neighbor this winter ). this guy is about 2 feet and nice girth. good size and i would not want to get bit by him either. LOL.
monster.JPG
chris.

jipp

he did seem very gentle. to be honest tho, iv not seen a aggressive Gila monster yet, rattle snakes always aggressive and pissed off. gila monstors are slow too it seems. they just kick it at there own pace in the desert and everything leaves them alone. just lazy guys in general.. with a nasty bite :D

chris.

BanditJacksRC

sometimes I get nervous flying FPV around here.. like some cyote, snake, scorpion or whatever is going to bite my leg while im flying. haha
great spot tho. he looks great

jipp

iv never heard of a hodags before.. interesting folk lore.. it really is to bad we lost most of our folk lore.. at least japan was able to keep there buy kicking everyone out.. and now we can sorta guess what ours ( i mean Europe we have some of our own in the states we got from the indians and made up our self's i think.. folk lore is a interesting subject :) )may of been like.

i think tomorrow ill take pictures of my next build so i can start a thread i need a few more things before i can complete my build but i have enough bits to start i think.. and can decide what direction to go with some help from you fine folks. i do know ill be using a CC3D board again which came in the mail the other day.. ill have to decide if im gonna go with open pilot or tau tho..
chris.

jipp

sometimes I get nervous flying FPV around here.. like some cyote, snake, scorpion or whatever is going to bite my leg while im flying. haha
great spot tho. he looks great

you forgot the pesky pigs man. heh. we have them out here.. between them and the yoyes which are so damn loud and brave.. i see them kicking it down my street all the time..

javalina ( and yeah they are not a real pig, part of the rat family.. go figure but they do look like pigs tho, and i am told taste like it but iv not been brave enough to try any yet. )

chris.

FPVology

you forgot the pesky pigs man. heh. we have them out here.. between them and the yoyes which are so damn loud and brave.. i see them kicking it down my street all the time..

javalina ( and yeah they are not a real pig, part of the rat family.. go figure but they do look like pigs tho, and i am told taste like it but iv not been brave enough to try any yet. )

chris.

That's crazy! I had no idea javalinas were in the rat family. (although i would still probably give 'em a tast, just to see what i might be missing out on. If they tast anything like pork... i'm down! haha)

Yeah out in AJ im sure you have a larger population of cyotes. I'm not too far tho. (power/university area). My backyard faces the "greenbelt" where the power lines run east/west, and see them every once in a while running around in the field.

EDIT: new account, sorry!

jipp

yeah i was surprised when i found out they were part of the rat family. yeah you are just down the road.. that is one nice thing about the valley.. hop on the highway and you are 15 mins from anywhere.

we do have lots of wiled life out here im at the base of the mountain.. so that explains part of it i think.. all the land is partitioned into 2 acre plots, plus half the people are snow birds where i live i only have 3 residents that are here year round.

chris.

jipp

hi guys.. first off i want to apologize for any weird behavior that may not come off nrom for me. whatever normal is i dunno.. iv always been a nut case.. anyhow, im going through some health issues.. my legs are swelling up to the size of tree trunks.. and i can not get the swelling to go down. my legs are cramping up and i can not even walk now with out a real effort.. granted iv never walked good since my accident.. but yeah add about 20lbs extra mass..

anyhow, the drugs are not helping to get my pain down or more important the swelling.. and to be hones, its the lack of sleep and despair.. and just strait up pain thats really messing with my head.. depression etc you guys know the drill.. typical life i guess.. yeah i live in chronic pain.. but this week its pretty bad.. ok.. enough of my boring life bs..

here is a pretty picture. it does not show it very well so you will just have to take my word for it.. my legs are swollen to the extreme.

HPIM1668.JPG HPIM1669.JPG

mini quad update:
HPIM1675.JPG HPIM1676.JPG HPIM1680.JPG

so last month the video of bruce and the so called indestructible props made its way around the interwebs.. thankfully it was posted here or i would of missed it. bruce put these props to the test and they held up much better than the gem fans... and gem fans work great for me.. and my skill level.. so yeah i look forward to trying these new props.. i figure i need to order 20.00 worth of props each month regardless of brand.. last month i went with the indestructible props.
i bought:
5 sets of 6x4; ( this is the size i am normally flying )
3 sets of 5x4; ( i bought these so i had some on hand, and also a project im looking at using 5" props cut down to 4" )
no issues on shipping or anything, the props look good to me.. much better quality than gemfans. but thats not saying much till they get in the air. you do not get to pick a color.. all my props came in black.

i will mention the only thing they did screw up was it took them three days to het my home address so they could ship the props.. after that i had zero issues.

i will order another 20.00 worth of props from them for this months prop purchase.

as for my next build.. i dunno man, i just can not get excited about the blacked out thug elite 5mm upgrade.. as i was when i originally ordered that frame.. im looking at its little brother the mini thug at 180mm and using 4" props and 13 series motors.

so all last month i picked up parts to build a quad and now i just dunno what to do.. i think part of this problem is my leg is messing with me. i do not really want to have a stroke, or a heart attack but anything is possible when you have massive swelling..
here i am going all negative nancy err i mean nana.

here is the video to bruce review.. i have zero problems recommending these props to new pilots or someone who wants some props to bash around.. as bruce says do not by to many if they are indestructible.. lol..

im sure ill be able to break a some tho i live in a environment that is just plain evil/.
hope everyone is healthy and able to get a couple of flights in today. my self i will go back to surfing the web for a frame that catches my fancy to throw this box of parts into.. if it was not for that stupid conversion id just go order the mini thug as i really find that small frame interesting.. thinking a nano qx on steroids..

http://www.surveilzone.com/high-quality-customized-5040-multirotor-propellers-two-pair-cw-ccw-g-1352
( 5"x4 these come in packs of 4.. so two CCW, and two CW... )

here is the 6" version..

http://www.surveilzone.com/High-Quality-Customized-6040-Multirotor-Propellers-Two-Pair-CWCCW-g-1351

here are the links to the props i ordered.. i sure wish they give them a brand name. like genfan or something instead of numbers.. i do not really like just referring to them as indestructible..
chris.

Last edited:

Snarls

Gravity Tester
Mentor
Feel better Chris! Hopefully that swelling goes down soon. I haven't heard too much about indestructible props, but they look pretty good, and their cheaper than HQs by the looks of it (Thanks for the links!). I hope you can at least get some RC related activities done, or at least start planning some sweet projects!

jipp

thanks snarl. doc gave me new drugs today.. he says they should help me sleep tonight which is what i really need to be honest.. lack of sleep is messing with me as i already think to much.. throw in all them hours id at least be pretending to sleep.. you know the type of sleep where a cat farting will wake you.. but still enough to keep ones mental attitude positive.
im gonna keep looking for a 180mm frame state side.. sigh.. im surprised we do not have more carbon fiber nano qx influenced frames.. 180mm hex would be fun too.. maybe im the only who finds this 180mm 4" prop 1200-1300 size motors interesting.. you know. obv bigger than a nano but still small enough and made from carbon so you could not break it.. it basicaly be a flying brick you could not break not enough mass.. it could fly in spots a mini could not.. sure no action cam but you have room for a board cam..

hope you get some air time tomorrow.. im hoping my battery's will be here soon for the nano.. i may not be able to fly out side but i can fly sitting on my couch go go gadget nano. :D
chris.

Last edited:

jipp

since i have not been able to fly out side because of weather, or health.. iv been flying my nano qx into the dirt.. i can say none of the 6 battery's blade 1s 150MAH 25C that i purchased at the same time of the nano qx... no longer work. they refuse to offer any kind of lift.
i feel sorta proud tho, as iv thrashed both body's that came with it, to the point im using a paper body template in there place.. and iv worn out 1 set of included free props it came with, and the current pair are starting to soften.. and now 6 battery no longer give lift.. that sorta makes me feel good.. as it shows iv flew the hell out of the nanno..

the battery's no longer offer lift. they do still hold power and can keep the LEDs on my nano bright for a good 30 minutes before the battery just go black. LOL.

so i originally was gonna soak the battery in salt water an disposable of them.. but heck if they can power LED for 30 minutes.. i will just hang on too them.. for now. not sure if its a good idea to use separate battery's fro LED>. but if i have them why not yeah..

this blade nano and the LED mod i did.. i have learn a lot about flying at night with it.
you want a defused light.. no single LED out in the open.. if possible.. i found this only help to make y9our eyes go cross eyed at certain angles and by then you are probably heading into the ground at angle before your eyes recover.. also you need side lights i thnk... white and green and red are by the easy to see in the air. it also helps to not fly at eye level with your LED.. fly above so your eyes do not focus in.. or you will lose you point of view of the air craft..
thats all i have learn of night flying so far. also i think some glow in the dark paint may work good in such a night craft too.. since a single led is more than enough to charge the paint.. any quad you build for nigt flying is gonna look like dog poo in day time but at night time it could be a visual piece of art. :D

i now have to wait for the new 1s 200MAH 45C battery's to get here. i ordered 6 more.. i figure i wont order more than 6 battery's at a time for the nano if they do not last that long.. i figure i would of got more life out of them as i never abused them.

Last edited:

jipp

Ive been doing a similar search for a micro quad to use 1306 3100kv motors on. Check out Phoenix Flight Gear. They are located in New York.

neat, im not sure which frame they sell that use the 1300 series motors.. i see they have a bunch for the micro brushed motors..

the nano qx motors i think are 7mm and even tho they are brushed.. they seem to hold up just fine.. but i can only imagine a 1300 motor on a 2s would out perform the nano in a heart beat..

here is the little brother to the thug elite. if it was not for the rip off i call money conversion. laughs.. i almost bought both frames at the same time.. but it seems the Thug mini is unique to its class i guess.. not seen any others that basically took the zmr idea and shrunk it.. most seem to be going with the WARP style..
T11.jpg

i guess they are just calling it the micro thug now.. was just referd to as a mini thug last month..
if you live on that side of the pond hard to beat 40.00 for a solid carbon frame.. would be fun.

here is a data base of most of the mini frames.. to bad they did not include the class micro which i assume is 180mm and smaller?

i give major street cred to whoever made this webpage.. its pretty cool to just window shop using it..
http://blog.oscarliang.net/250-mini-quad-part-list-fpv/
chris.

jipp

thanks, i thought that was something different.. i wish they would stick to the standard naming connection the rest of the industry is using 250mm etc.. 180mm.. i wonder how tough the phoenix air frames are..

at least there are some other valid options in the micro field. and hopefully it will continue to grow.

chris.

zenguerilla

hi guys.. tree trunks.. indestructible..
chris.

I know it's difficult, but take a walk. It is probably the best medicine available. Yeah, all the regular walking people, or folks in their cars will be jeering at you... limping along. But, take a walk, as little and much as you can. Day by day. Less, then more. The rest probably isn't as real. If walking's too much, stand up when you feel strength or angst and move limbs around 'til you can walk. Best thing you can do when things don't work out is forget them. By the way, I'm just talking about myself, to some extent. You know, that's how these things usually work. The fish have to keep swimming to keep the oxygen in their gills, most of the time. Theoretical software. No telling what the right thing would be in a sphere of all possibilities. Listen to some Depeche Mode and say "oops" a lot.

This message will self destruct.

Last edited: