jipp's first 250 fpv racer style build thread. lets rock.

cranialrectosis

Faster than a speeding face plant!
Mentor
Too big is relative to who you are and how you fly. More mAh means longer flight time and more weight. More weight means more damage in a crash.

The difference between a 1300 and a 1500 is small. I say go for it. But if the extra weight causes the copter to feel sluggish, then you know they are too big for you to fly on this copter. It is all a matter of personal preference.

Personally, I would not want to run a 3S 1800 on 1806 motors. I would do an 1800 4S on 1806 motors but 1800 3S is pushing my tolerance for sluggish throttle.

jipp

ok, i guess ill just have to pay more. i like how it flys now. especially for what im doing with it.

ill either buy 2 or 3 of the same battery's i have now even if they are not the 30-70C, or spend 6.00 more per battery else where.

it seems to fly nice with what it has now..

chris,

p.s

i was gonna buy some FPV gear.. but i was sitting here thinking.. if all im doing is hovering FPV would be useless as you need to be going in a forward direction to keep your bird in the air, hovering FPV probably sucks. unless you have a gimbal i guess.

so yeah, so that put a little extra money in my hobby funds.. heh, so ill just spend more on the 1300 45-90C from getfpv or rotogeeks or something i think.

Last edited:

C0d3M0nk3y

Posted a thousand or more times
i was gonna buy some FPV gear.. but i was sitting here thinking.. if all im doing is hovering FPV would be useless as you need to be going in a forward direction to keep your bird in the air, hovering FPV probably sucks. unless you have a gimbal i guess.

You're right. Hovering FPV is more difficult than flying forward.

jipp

well had to happen. i decided i should try a few loops around the yard. and unfortunately i did not see a cable coming off the power line to the ground.. and tagged it on my return.. its sad when these fall out of the sky so abrupt. its like what the heck did i do to you Mr. hard to see cable coming off the power pole.

i got my money out of this first set of gem fan 6x3.. im happy with the quality so far.
if it would of been the HQ i would of broke them early on i think?

but, im sure ill grow out of my gemfan phase with practice.. for now i will no longer fly loops. i will keep practicing hovering like i should of been doing.. but the gemfans seem to be ok so far, at least for this noob.

HPIM1668.JPG HPIM1669.JPG HPIM1670.JPG HPIM1671.JPG

well seems i built it good enough for it to take a crash with out any problems.. so that makes me happy. considering im such a noob at this stuff.

ps, even if the velcro will hold your battery in place use a strap.. it could protect it in a crash like mine did.. with out that strap i think a rock would of did my battery in.
chris.

Last edited:

jipp

You're right. Hovering FPV is more difficult than flying forward.

kind of thought so. thanks for confirming. i think ill just focus on LOS for a month or two. that will give the industry time to maybe come out with new products and maybe lower prices ( im dreaming i know, pfft ).... or at least i guess i could buy one part a month.. so its not such a huge chunk of cash up front.

chris.

jipp

found this add on craiglist.

https://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/laf/4977449204.html

lost drone/gopro.. for some reason i doubt hat person will get it back ( maybe the quad, but my guess the gopro no. hope i wrong tho of course.). :( i guess i need to get a paint pen to wright my name on mine.

im missing my dog, so looking at craigslist. i do not normally use Craigslist so i did not even to think of using it.. i think ill place a add maybe it will help.

not given up on the little guy yet.
chris.

notreallyme

jipp

I fly my ZMR on gemfan 5x3 props and mostly with a 2200 3s 20c http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=15019 as i have more of them available, i also have 1300 3s http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=20423 the same ones you have the rolls i did were with the 2200 packs. i would prefer having higher c batteries but just saying when your learning almost anything works at least for a while.
BTW here is the video i was talking about

heck the 1500 with the higher C should work fine. ill give one a try and go from there.

im not ready to flip. lol. i have my hands full hovering.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__26453__Turnigy_nano_tech_1500mah_3S_35_70C_Lipo_Pack.html
i need to order a couple of small things from hobbyking anyhow, so ill throw one in.

chris.

jipp

Today while waiting for my pain meds to get filled.. i stop by Michale's they are a local arts and craft store and i bought a oil based sharpie paint pen in silver. i plan on putting my name/address and email to the bottom of the craft using it.

while im at it i plan on putting the date i purchased my two battery's. I ordered two more from hobbyking last week so they should arrive soon so i will have a total of 4 battery's ooooo im so spoiled now. laughs.. these extra two battery's will help i think.. it seems i would get warmed up by the end of 2 battery's, then id have to stop and charge for 40 mins or whatever it takes at 1a. So i figure id just keep my battery's dated so i know which ones are old and new etc.. as i plan on buying 2 battery's a month.

however, the reason i am even mention this is because im not sure how long a paint pen will last on a carbon fiber frame before it wears off.. and im wondering if one was to engrave there name etc on it would that make the carbon fiber have a weak spot, so if i crashed hard would it break where i carved my name in? at this time i do not have anything to engrave my name into the frame.. but i figure i would ask now while its on my mind.. i also think if i did engrave my name id probably go over that with the paint pen anyhow.

what are your thoughts on this? should i add anymore info to the frame? i figured my address,full name, plus my email would be good.

chris.

jipp

A little late to the party but well done on completing and flying your craft! It'll be loads of fun :)

good morning. thank you very much.. if it was not for this forum i could not of done it. i literally had to start learning from ground zero as i knew nothing of RC.. so im so grateful.

and you are right i paid a 139.00 for this kit. i could not of asked for more fun per $. i recommend everyone go buy a kit, or source the parts your self.. and build one.. even if you are plane type of person.. i think you will find out real quick how much of a challenge they are to learn to fly which equals fun in my eyes.. you can be a ace pilot.. but i can bet money you wil crash on your first hover :D

everyone on this forum rocks.

I hope to keep learning so i can give back and get others in the air.. that is my goal. plus im sourcing parts for another build.. look to that one.. its gonna be more expensive, and will take longer to build. however, im gonna take what i learn from this build and use them ideas with this new project. this will be another Mini. And will probably take all summer to build as money allows as ill be use so called name brand parts.. this project will be my FPV machine i think.. and the ZMR 250 will be my LOS bird. Then once i finish my FPV machine.. my winter build will be a Aerial Photography machine. 550 - 700 size. i hope by then i will have the skills to fly a larger aircraft. i also plan on using robot stuff to help stabilize shots etc for video. but that is a long ways away.. for now i am focusing on learning to fly, and this new build..
once the frame gets here ill start a thread.

chris.

nilsen

Indeed Chris, glad to hear you're enjoying it so much.
I started with a RTF DJI Phantom which I bought with a friend but it was too small to lift any substantial camera so I built a larger 700 class hexacopter which I use for AP for my side business. I then built a tricopter and a large 400 quad out of the crashed pieces of the phantom :)
Finally I ended up with the 250 miniquad and this thin has dramatically increased my flying skill by leaps and bounds and now I am able to fly the huge hex with a lot more confidence for way better aerial video and composition.

I look forward to seeing what you come up with next.

Cheers

jipp

Indeed Chris, glad to hear you're enjoying it so much.
I started with a RTF DJI Phantom which I bought with a friend but it was too small to lift any substantial camera so I built a larger 700 class hexacopter which I use for AP for my side business. I then built a tricopter and a large 400 quad out of the crashed pieces of the phantom :)
Finally I ended up with the 250 miniquad and this thin has dramatically increased my flying skill by leaps and bounds and now I am able to fly the huge hex with a lot more confidence for way better aerial video and composition.

I look forward to seeing what you come up with next.

Cheers

hi, yeah, stick time will be the key to good AP i think.. well i have a new frame on my desk and am starting to collect parts for it. i have 50 percent of the parts here and more arriving every day..

also i ordered some 450 size helicopter size skids.. and they are the right width but just to tall i think.. so im gonna try one other options.. worse case ill use them if it keeps rocks out of my props but some times you have to take what it looks like in consideration..

anyhow, this next build my overall goal is to build a flying tank that this desert will have a hard time breaking.. so yeah that is my goal. LOL.. pure carbon, and 5mm thick arms should help i think.. and stainless hardware.

il probably do a build for it if anyone wants to see it.. ill probably need help building it anyhow as im gonna go fancy and use that parachute chord stuff, and add FPV gear.

unfortunately its gonna cost way more than this this kit ever did.. but at this point how much im in the air frame.. i think i should just forget how much money i will have in the air so i do not cry when i crash.

chris.

ExperimentalRC

hi, yeah, stick time will be the key to good AP i think.. well i have a new frame on my desk and am starting to collect parts for it. i have 50 percent of the parts here and more arriving every day..

also i ordered some 450 size helicopter size skids.. and they are the right width but just to tall i think.. so im gonna try one other options.. worse case ill use them if it keeps rocks out of my props but some times you have to take what it looks like in consideration..

anyhow, this next build my overall goal is to build a flying tank that this desert will have a hard time breaking.. so yeah that is my goal. LOL.. pure carbon, and 5mm thick arms should help i think.. and stainless hardware.

il probably do a build for it if anyone wants to see it.. ill probably need help building it anyhow as im gonna go fancy and use that parachute chord stuff, and add FPV gear.

unfortunately its gonna cost way more than this this kit ever did.. but at this point how much im in the air frame.. i think i should just forget how much money i will have in the air so i do not cry when i crash.

chris.

Will your next build be a mini quad too? I thought you might have wanted to diversify your fleet. Right now i have 3 quads of different sizes and Im looking for something different so i might try a mini hex. Good luck with your next build!

jipp

yeah another mini. and i have the 3 EMAX 2204 motors, and 3 Emax Simon sires 12a ESC to build a tri-coptor that a member hooked me up with, happens to be another arizona desert rat, quite a few of us on this board it would seem. go AZ. heh... however, i dunno if im gonna go through with that after seeing all the problems people have with blowing out servo's on tri-coptors.. i can not afford such.

i do understand having some diversity..

hex would be fun.. and i think i want to try to build one of them, and also a warp style would be fun.. and a AP machine ( also im thinking about my sisters husband, ill probably give him the ZMR quad once i get my new one up if he is interested. ill have to give him my nano first tho before i send him off to break windows with a larger quad )..i figure the AP machine will between 450-700 size probably like a tarrot 690 pro with large props ). but that is a few builds away i have much more i need to learn.. which these minis are good at plus they will take a crash better and give me time to keep improving as a pilot.. i still suck but every day i get to practice i think im getting better.. but then my health is the crutch in that logic.. iv had to stay in bed for the last two days cause my legs swelling wont go down. i should be in the hospital.. but im not going back unless i can not deal with the pain. lol.

speaking of desert rats, its warming up the rattle snakes are on the prowl.. last night my dogs were going nuts so i go out to see whats up.. the stupid idiots decided to bark a a rattle snake and chased it to my front door.. so when i open the screen door. i hear this rattle go off so loud. hah. thankfully my dogs kept its attention so i did ot get bit.. so yeah, they are going for the warm side walks and sides of the roads if you go for a nightly walk which most of us do in the desert as we hide inside next to the computer/ac during the day.. and are most active early morning or evening.. when we can walk anyhow with out sun stroke.
chris.

Last edited:

jipp

so here is what im thinking. im gonna go ahead and order a cheap FPV kit from bangood.
i will use a 7" monitor, on a tri-pod for now.. ill try it on the TX but i dunno how ill feel about that.. but its a option..

my logic is this will be handy for AP stuff down the road anyhow.

but i do not really want to spend a whole lot of money upfront till i know its what im gonna be into it.

so that is why the kit from banggood seems a nice place to start.. iv read the reviews and they seem pretty good.. the camera some say its fine others no.. my guess this comes down to china quality control. laughs. ( i can always upgrade to a better camera.. but for now to keep cost down.. id rather ruin a 12.00 camera than a 27 sony job. )

anyhow im just wondering if this looks alright to you guys.

here is the camera/VTX,

http://www.banggood.com/Eachine-700...egree-Camera-w32CH-Transmission-p-974874.html

the extension for the antenna
http://www.banggood.com/5cm-RP-SMA-Male-to-RP-SMA-Female-Right-Angle-Cable-p-956188.html
im not sure if this is the correct one as it seems there are two types.

cheap antennas
http://www.banggood.com/Boscam-5_8Ghz2_4Ghz-Broadband-Mushroom-Antenna-For-FPV-TxRx-p-965756.html

so that comes out to be around 47.00 bucks.

plus a monitor, tri-pod, receiver.. i would be in fpv gear about 200.00

does this sound like a good plan?
chris.

jipp

so iv been trying to figure out some way to get my frame up off the desert rocks to try and keep the little bitty rocks aka my drive way out of the motors from prop wash.. so i bought two sets of these indestructible hovercraft landing gear.. unfortunately these are not really meant for 1806 motors.. 22 sires. as only 3 of the screws would fit.. so then i thought id try some heli copter landing skids. unfortunately it does not fit very well either. i guess im just gonna say hell with it.. ill use the hovercraft legs for my next project as it will use 2204s. so its all good.

anyhow the quality is very good of these hovercraft landing gear.. quick shipping, i would recommend them.. i may take a drill/file to them but im not sure that will work.. as if i make the holes to big, then the smaller m2 screws the 1806 use will just slide through.

however, i will use one set on my next project will fit no problem.. and may modify these.. if i destroy them in the process o well.
1.JPG 2.JPG 3.JPG
chris.

Last edited:

LennyPane

zenFPV
looks nice to me!
good you went for the carbon arms, as RCmodelreviews recommends, the other ones break real quick.
hovercraft landing gear is a great tip-off, im also looking for a solution

@jhitesma great idea, filing CF under water! i didnt know you could do that! duh..

Last edited: