jipp's first 250 fpv racer style build thread. lets rock.

jipp

You need to stop worrying and just fly at this point :D

yeah, i think you are right. ill give it a go tomorrow.

today im just mentally not in a good mood. lost my dog. which sucks. i feel like a loser, little prick was either stolen or ran off.. im thinking someone took him home..

he was my sisters dog for 7 years, i remember holding the little guy in the palm of my hand as a baby back in the day.. sis bought a new house and had to get rid of him, so i took him in. and he was my responsibility.. hope sis wont me to up set with me.

got heli rc from the valley sent me my props today, and 4 HQ props. i can see the difference strait up.., i noticed when iw as taking them out of the box. heh.. felt, and made a different sound as i tossed them on the table counting them.

anyhow, i do see why the gemfans will bend before breaking, they are pretty flexible compared to the HQ>

i did connect the 4 wires from my PDB to LED and they worked so i did that part right too. woot.. but only 3 led lights will fit on the front/rear 3dprinted bumpers so i i wll have to cut them in half as they are in strip of 6.

chris.

cranialrectosis

Faster than a speeding face plant!
Mentor
You only lose when you quit. :)

Try social media and the local Humane Society for the dog and don't quit.

Charging a 1.3mAh lipo at 1.3A is charging at 1C.

Hat cam (narco :)) and see if she'll hover over a nice soft patch of grass.

If she flies, you win! Now, go crash it. :)

If she explodes on the grass, you win! You have something worthwhile to do with the rest of your day!

Just, whatever happens, get it on video!

jipp

no grass here. just rocks. i do not do soaical stuff.. no account. etc. the pup dose have a chip. but he only weigh 7lbs.. and was always curled up in his blanket.. he wold not of made it through the night.. i think someone took him.. i dunno, yeah im hoping dog pound will get him. or at least someone took him in.. he is such a baby of a dog. my other 2 dogs would have no problem on the own.. but him, hell even a bird could of got him for all i know at this point, i yelled for him last night til i could not talk, and limped all over the neighbor hood, can not walk today. .. i did not here any coyote's last night.. so i do not think they got him. they always go nuts when they get a kill and make a hell of a racket.
chris.

jhitesma

Some guy in the desert
Mentor
My mobius hat cam is super simple. I just poked 2 sets of tiny slits in the bill, then put a zip tie through each looping through the mobius tripod mount. Shoved a bit of foamboard under the front to tilt it up...boom!

10804501_10152381313151805_2143193759_o.jpg

10804897_10152381313476805_1725106402_o.jpg

10754178_10152381312261805_961430690_o.jpg

The NASA hat just seemed like the most appropriate from my collection :D

narcolepticltd

I unbuild stuff regularly
My mobius hat cam is super simple. I just poked 2 sets of tiny slits in the bill, then put a zip tie through each looping through the mobius tripod mount. Shoved a bit of foamboard under the front to tilt it up...boom!

View attachment 45853

View attachment 45851

View attachment 45852

The NASA hat just seemed like the most appropriate from my collection :D

They don't have any NASA hats at the gas stations here....

I'll see what I can rustle up though :)

narcolepticltd

I unbuild stuff regularly
Ok... so my roommate used to run a sports merchandise business and it went under, has TONS of new gear sitting in the garage. Just told him to grant me a hat. my mobius will be sitting on a brand new godaddy nascar hat lol. I love cutting into stuff that's brand new.

jipp

ohh godady! heh. i always laughed at them commercials.. i like the idea of the mobius hat cam.. i have plenty of hats, ill have to do so.. so i guess ill need a mobius after all.

update, my quad is sporting LED's, woot.
chris.

jipp

so i have assembled my zmr frame, attached the LEDS, put velcro to the battery. attached the fuzzy size to the battery, and the other side to the frame on top.. 1/2" or down the middle. i did buy a turnigy battery strap but its way to big and i do not really want to cut it.. but maybe that is what you are suppose to do and you can get 2 straps out of one..

my gemfans came with a R one some of the packages this is reverse or CCW correct? also how tight do we want the props? i just did them finger tight, should i go more?

i ended up just putting the battery voltage meter to the camera mount for now as i do not have a camera.

i need legs, and figure out a spot for the RX>. i just can not think of a good place for it where it will be easy to take the bind plug in and out.i guess ill just have to buy some 450 heli landing skids.

kind of do not want to maiden till i get some feet.. as it seems sorta dumb to try and take off in the dirt.
chris.

P.s
im glad i could not just go out and buy a 250 mini.. as the firstc rash i would not know how to fix it.. so even tho this has been quite teh experience im very glad i went down this road even if i bought one im sure id be a better pilot by now.. but i would of felt like i cheated.

money cant always buy a sense of achievement.

Last edited:

jhitesma

Some guy in the desert
Mentor
so i have assembled my zmr frame, attached the LEDS, put velcro to the battery. attached the fuzzy size to the battery, and the other side to the frame on top.. 1/2" or down the middle. i did buy a turnigy battery strap but its way to big and i do not really want to cut it.. but maybe that is what you are suppose to do and you can get 2 straps out of one..

I just buy the big packs of cheap ones at Harbor freight, then give them a few sprays of aerosol plasti-dip on the side that faces the battery. Even the nice ones from hobby shops I end up breaking fairly often so I consider battery straps disposable and just buy cheap now. The plasti-dip does a great job of making them sticky enough the packs won't fly out under normal flying - but still loose enough they can come free in a crash. I also put a bit of black craft foam between the pack and the frame (mostly to protect the pack from any screws on the frame) and give it a zap with the plasti-dip as well. 2-3 light coats is barely noticeable but makes a big difference in how well the battery stays in place.

my gemfans came with a R one some of the packages this is reverse or CCW correct? also how tight do we want the props? i just did them finger tight, should i go more?

The way I remember it is that on all of my quads I set it in front of me facing away - and the R prop goes on the right side. I then turn the quad 180 and the R prop still goes on the right side. Trying to remember CW vs. CCW gets me mixed up and confused. But remembering "R on the right" is easy. (I just checked and "R" is CW - also just checked OP's documentation and it looks the same.) One other trick is to remember that the side of the prop that's higher is the side that goes first as it turns.

If you have the mixed CW/CCW motor shafts then finger tight should be ok because they should self-tighten. Personally I don't trust it and don't like the mixed direction threads. So I tighten them just as much as I do my "normal" motors. I use a bit of silicone tape to get a good grip on the motor bell then tighten the nut pretty darn well. I've had props come loose when I was lazy about tightening and it's no fun :)

i need legs, and figure out a spot for the RX>. i just can not think of a good place for it where it will be easy to take the bind plug in and out.i guess ill just have to buy some 450 heli landing skids.

kind of do not want to maiden till i get some feet.. as it seems sorta dumb to try and take off in the dirt.

Legs are overrated...unless you've got 2 foot tall legs you'll still be in a dust cloud here in the desert. Just take off from an elevated platform or put down some cardboard or carpet or a welcome mat. If you really want legs I suggest either using zip ties (Use the biggest ones you can get and keep them fairly short so they don't get too squishy - here's an article on how to do them: http://flitetest.com/articles/diy-landing-gear-for-multirotors) Nice things about zip ties...they're CHEAP, they take a lot of abuse before breaking, and they absorb the hard landings you'll have while learning.

Pieces of ABS pipe also work - just cut some 1/4"-1/2" slices off a bit of 1.5" or 2" ABS pipe and zip tie them on, that's what I'm running on my knuckle tau right now: http://forum.flitetest.com/showthre...FC-experiments&p=143600&viewfull=1#post143600

But they're stiffer so they're less forgiving to beginners so I'd suggest just using zip ties for now, anything else you're probably just going to break :D

As for the RX. You only have to bind once. Unless you plan on changing TX's every couple of weeks don't worry about the bind plug being accessible.

im glad i could not just go out and buy a 250 mini.. as the firstc rash i would not know how to fix it.. so even tho this has been quite teh experience im very glad i went down this road even if i bought one im sure id be a better pilot by now.. but i would of felt like i cheated.

money cant always buy a sense of achievement.

Amen...now go fly tomorrow, this wind should die down by then :D

jipp

no wind here.. just rain, and its coming down so hard.. should be interested to see if we get rain tomorrow too. news seems to think so, ill find out tomorrow i guess. one good thing at least the desert will be a bit softer for my first crash. LOL

so on the gemfans R means Clock Wise. if so i have them backwards, as i thought R meant reverse,. but yeah i bet it means Right so clock wise..

so i will change them, i guess ill just cut the new and fancy battery strap. i do not have any spray on plastic dip, i do have a can of the dip in style.. which wont work.. but ill remember to get a can of spray plastic down the road, or at least look for it.. cant say i remember ever seeing any. yeah i did notice a few bumps from the screws.. and i think the velcro would hold it up above some.. but on a hard crash foam, and the strap with the plastic stuff to grip wold work better. ( i think i looked for computer straps, velcro jobs at harbor freight and did not see any so i bought the turnigy one.. was still only 2.00 i think.. so i do not know why i have such a problem cutting it in half.. )

ok, ill use a piece of card board and not worry about legs yet. but i do want some legs. even if they wont help. heh.
i am gonna try some 450 heli skids.. i ordered one so we will see if i can make it work with the zmr frame..

yeah, unfortunately i could not find CCW 5m nyloc nuts for the motors. i could only find clock wise. even on line i could not find reverse thread nyloc nuts. so i will use the spinner types. sounds like i should tighten them down more than finger tight.. ill just do a 1/16" turn pass finger tight. should be good since like you said the direction of the motors spinning should keep them on.

i guess i can not procrastinate much longer.. ( back of my mind i fear it wont fly, so if i keep messing with it.. i cant be disappointed in my self . that and i guess i do not wanna know how bad of a pilot i really am )

we will try for a hover tomorrow.
chris.

jipp

I think it does. A standard RC airplane prop is counter clockwise, so reverse props are clockwise.

ok, i did not know a normal plane prop is counter clock wise.
i need to flip them over, as i have them on the wrong motors.
http://www.getfpv.com/m5-black-aluminum-shallow-flange-lock-nut-set-of-4-cw.html

http://www.getfpv.com/m5-black-aluminum-shallow-flange-lock-nut-set-of-4-ccw.html

thanks for the link.

well no maiden today, rain!

i also sent you a message, sorry i missed it before. i do not notice that notification thing.. they need a pop up screen to hit me in the face when i get a new message like my guitar forum. lol.
chris.

jipp

thanks guys for all the help.. my bird flys great.. no weird twitches like the nano.. it feels like a Cadillac. i do not like auto level.. it feels like you have no control. it just goes where you point the stick.. but in rate mode.. it rock solid.. woohooo.

umm, charging my second round of battery's now.. i burnt through my only two battery's to quick. :(

i do need to figure out how to set a timer.. using the voltage thing is annoying landing all the time to check it.. oh and get this.. no broken props yet.. granted all im doing is hovering eye level to 15 feet.. and right to left.. but mostly trying to keep it rock solid.
man, i do not know why i was procrastinating so long to fly it.. how it flys i could of did it 2 days ago.. its sorta windy to day but not bad.. it would of been a challenge with the nano qx but i would of been alright.. this thing is like.. breeze, what breeze.. lol..
im excited and i can say im hooked..
you guys rock.. no film.. but ill see if i cant snap a photo of it hovering some how.

ill up a few photos of the complete build.. its pretty ugly.

i should of held off on cutting the battery strap.. i cut ini half thinking id have enough for two.. but seems once i added foam tape/velcro for the battery. it added a extra inch to it.. so i ended up just putting one strap on, then the other piece over that. will go order some more straps now i know what length i need.

um lots of things i would do different if i was to build this. i cant say how well it will take a crash as iv done nothing to do so yet.
as im gonna be hovering and getting my feel for it for many more battery to come.

rock on my friends.. the nano is a toy compared to the zmr 250.. but for in house flying i think the nano will still work.

chris.

finnen

Nice work =)

Yeah, two batteries makes for short flight times. I have 5 1300's, and 5 2200's, but the 2200's makes my ZMR feel sluggish. Combined they do give me about 1h15min of flight time, haven't been able to burn through that in one session yet, that would make my brain fry :D

jipp

Nice work =)

Yeah, two batteries makes for short flight times. I have 5 1300's, and 5 2200's, but the 2200's makes my ZMR feel sluggish. Combined they do give me about 1h15min of flight time, haven't been able to burn through that in one session yet, that would make my brain fry :D

yeah, i would think 2200 would be a bit heavy.. im gonna order a few more 1300 i think.. maybe 1800? do you think 1800 would give me a little longer flight.

i do not want to go to 2200. thats a little to heavy i think.. and i am using cheap gemfans so i do not want to stress them to bad.,

thankfully my charger can charge 2 battery's at a time. heh. so that helps. i have about 20 mins before i go fly again.

it feels good to have this project in the air.. already thinking about my next build..

chris.

Stradawhovious

"That guy"
yeah, i would think 2200 would be a bit heavy.. im gonna order a few more 1300 i think.. maybe 1800? do you think 1800 would give me a little longer flight.

i do not want to go to 2200. thats a little to heavy i think.. and i am using cheap gemfans so i do not want to stress them to bad.,

thankfully my charger can charge 2 battery's at a time. heh. so that helps. i have about 20 mins before i go fly again.

it feels good to have this project in the air.. already thinking about my next build..

chris.

I'm running 2200mah 50c on mine, and it doesn't complain at all. in stability mode (when mine was working) I could whip it all over the place and there was no issue. I'm also getting a 6-7 minute flight time... that's with all the FPV gear and everything.

Ocean

chris.

I personally 1800 is the highest limit for a 3s mini quad, however my friend seems to love the 1800s, he doesn't even own a 1300! I even find my 2200mah 4s sluggish compared to my 1300mah 4s, I would try stick to 1300-1500 for 3s.

finnen

Yes. I haven't tried 1800, but that might work. It will definitely give you more flight time. My 1300's give me 5 minutes, the 2200's give me 10 minutes.

I did actually only have 2200's for a while, and I thought it flew fine. It's doable, but after trying the 1300's I felt the difference, mainly when doing tight turns. With the heavier load the quad just couldn't handle high speed turns as well, it tended to float outwards.