JPC's CNC Hot Wire Machine

JustPlaneChris

Hey folks! I didn't want to post much about this until I was sure that it was going to work, but it works! So here it is. :)

This is my take on a 4 axis CNC hot wire machine. It is by no means an original idea, with design features from several others. It is, however, all my own CAD work on the 3D printed parts, and I'm rather proud of how they fit.

Hardware wise, it's pretty much what Windy Hill Hobbies recommends to drive their machine. I already had most of it on hand from an older CNC router project, so I just had to purchase some additional linear rails, leadscrews, and some of the roller wheels for the 20x20 extrusion towers.

The only thing I did not incorporate into the 3D printed parts is holes to mount the limit switches, and that's simply because I wasn't entirely sure where (or if) I was going to use them. They aren't absolutely necessary, but it's handy to have them for setting a consistent origin point.

I bit the bullet and bought the DevCNC suite to design with and drive the machine. It's going to be a steep learning curve on the design side, since the DevCNC is worlds apart from Fusion 360!

So far I've only cut some test pieces to calibrate the size and figure out current settings for the bow, but I'm super excited to start designing some new planes!

Attachments

• IMG_7756.jpg
    IMG_7756.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_7757.jpg
    IMG_7757.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_7759.jpg
    IMG_7759.jpg
    673.6 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_7760.jpg
    IMG_7760.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_7761.jpg
    IMG_7761.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_7762.jpg
    IMG_7762.jpg
    799.2 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_7763.jpg
    IMG_7763.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0

FlamingRCAirplanes

Elite member
Hey folks! I didn't want to post much about this until I was sure that it was going to work, but it works! So here it is. :)

This is my take on a 4 axis CNC hot wire machine. It is by no means an original idea, with design features from several others. It is, however, all my own CAD work on the 3D printed parts, and I'm rather proud of how they fit.

Hardware wise, it's pretty much what Windy Hill Hobbies recommends to drive their machine. I already had most of it on hand from an older CNC router project, so I just had to purchase some additional linear rails, leadscrews, and some of the roller wheels for the 20x20 extrusion towers.

The only thing I did not incorporate into the 3D printed parts is holes to mount the limit switches, and that's simply because I wasn't entirely sure where (or if) I was going to use them. They aren't absolutely necessary, but it's handy to have them for setting a consistent origin point.

I bit the bullet and bought the DevCNC suite to design with and drive the machine. It's going to be a steep learning curve on the design side, since the DevCNC is worlds apart from Fusion 360!

So far I've only cut some test pieces to calibrate the size and figure out current settings for the bow, but I'm super excited to start designing some new planes!
Lovely