Just ordered my FT Viggen and Gear!!

crash bandicoot

My GH 64 mm fan shot a blade out over the weekend. I'm starting to think it was contacting the sides too. I didn't look too much at it and just put it in. Shame on me I guess.

raptor3dpilot

Woo hoo, I'm stoked! I should receive my EZ Link Adjusters today and my GH 4S battery should be in tomorrow!

Hoping for some calm winds this weekend so hopefully I can knock out the maiden flight! Video and more pictures to come.

I hate maidening my planes without painting them first because then I have too much fun flying it and never want to take downtime to paint it. :D Too excited to wait to fly this one, fingers crossed for positive results.

Wow, sorry to hear about your 64mm shooting a blade, that's terrible especially with how the aircraft is designed without any way to access the fan blade assembly. I debated trying to come up with some sort of removable motor mount for this same reason, but maybe on the next build.

raptor3dpilot

image.jpg image.jpg [ATT image.jpg ACH=CONFIG]20239[/ATTACH] image.jpg

Got my Viggen all finished up and prepped for paint!! So stoked.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 20
raptor3dpilot,

We were just having the same discussion on the RC Groups FT Viggen build thread - http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2114561&page=6 - and I won't repeat what's already been said there or here but I will say this:
The explanation that these are QC marks and part of the manufacturing process is unacceptable - I would much rather buy these components individually (undamaged) and fit them myself than to have to rework a collection of damaged parts from a ready to run combo! This is not one or two isolated incidents and Grayson Hobby should properly address this before they loose more than just my business forever!

Robin

PS - Best of luck on your maiden!

Last edited:

raptor3dpilot

Got some of the paint done this morning. :) first time painting a plane, wow taping up the plane is a pain in the booty! I minwaxed it first and then used painters tape. I used Testors spray enamel paint. Thinking I should have gone with a different contrasting color, I thought the lighter blue was going to stand out a little more. Now it's time to tape off the cockpit/nose and paint it black.
image.jpg image.jpg

Last edited:

raptor3dpilot

I do agree Robin, "balancing a fan" for QC check does not mean running it up until all of the blades grind themselves down to fit the duct. I'm glad I'm not the only one that had this "QC" check done because I was pretty upset as well that my "new" motor had been used. First experience with EDFs, so I'll take it as a leaning experience.
I did take my fan off and balance it, but I didn't think to check the motor alignment in the duct and to "QC" the tightness of the motor screws. Fingers will be crossed for the first couple flights that I don't she'll a blade because it would SUCK to have to repair this motor the way it's mounted.
Next time, I'm going to come up with some sort of removable fan assy to eliminate that worry. Little extra weight, but I think it won't make too much of a difference.

raptor3dpilot

All wrapped up and prepped for the maiden. High winds today, so I'm not gonna risk it. Gotta get my videographer (wife) out there to film the maiden, so hopefully tomorrow or sometime next week.
image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

P.S. My hands look like I killed a Smurf!! Haha

raptor3dpilot,

Looking sharp! I hope it all works out and look forward to seeing another successful FTViggen maiden video!

I'm reworking (repairing?) my fan unit but because of the issues with the power system, I've decided not to risk applying an expensive graphics package to the first Viggen (I'll just use the first one to get used to it and make mistakes on)! I'll install them on a second one with a different power system (possibly a ChangeSun EDF with a 10 blade fan)!

Robin

Last edited:

raptor3dpilot

Whew, decided to add some yellow highlights, little more of a Blue Angel theme. Found out the importance of painting lighter colors first. It was a last minute decision, but it took several coats to get a true yellow instead of green. :)
image.jpg image.jpg

raptor3dpilot,

That's looking good! :cool: I went back and read up from the beginning of the thread and it sounds exactly like what we've been discussing on the RCG thread (delays, communication, and quality issues) the only response I got from them was after I received fan, when I e-mailed them and 'expressed' my disatisfaction, I got a response within hours!

Once again, good luck on the maiden! ;)

Robin

raptor3dpilot

Wow, I am speechless for words!! What an amazing maiden and awesome aircraft. Plenty of power and wicked fast!! So stable and easy to fly. I need more batteries!!! :D

I set my timer for 7 mins and put 2159 back in to the 3000mAh battery. So about 72% used. Is that okay? I think I'll leave my flights to 7 mins just in case I need to go around for another landing approach.

Had my 8yo as my videographer, so I'll upload the video and let you guys check it out.

I love this plane!!

raptor3dpilot,

Congratulations, well done, & very impressive preformance! Do you know what your Viggen's all up weight came out to? I was surprised at the vertical performance & she really looks good in the air, very encouraging to watch!

Robin

raptor3dpilot

No, I'm not sure of the weight. Need to invest in a digital scale and a watt meter!

The vertical performance was awesome, I didn't really get a chance to check out a lot of things because my wife and son wanted it down low for pictures and stuff. I think I only had about 3-4 clicks of aileron trim as well. CG was right on the money for the mark from FT. The front of the battery was right at the point where the nose meets the fuselage. Receiver was placed against the back wall. I was nervous with it being so close to the ESC, but didn't notice any hits or anything.

I was running 40% expo and the recommended control throws on my low setting. Didn't change to full throws because I didn't feel it needed it.

Hopefully I can get some better video, that was from my iPhone. My wife didn't have the correct lense for her Nikon D5100.

It is a blast to fly and I was very impressed with the design and GH power combo. Great sound at full power bursts. :D

raptor3dpilot

I did have a split second panic during my space shuttle type launch, but it powered right through it without any torque roll.

I used FoamTac for the entire build, took a little longer to set than hot glue, but at least I don't have to worry about it coming apart in the summer months. Need this work day to hurry up so I can go fly again!

raptor3dpilot,

I noticed a little roll on launch (not like some I've seen) but you seemed to manage it OK! I have a Eagle Tree Guardian 2D-3D stabilizer sitting here and I'm considering installing it in the Viggen. As far as the watt meter & scale go, both are handy but I'd go for the meter first. I also have a cheap HK battery tester that plugs in to the balance plug and gives you readings for each cell, it makes for a good 'gas' gauge!

Robin

Last edited:
Jason,

Been able to get any more flights in? I just ordered a ChangeSun 70mm 10 blade EDF and an aluminum spinner for it ($28.98), still debating on which motor to go with though!

Robin

raptor3dpilot

Yeah, I was able to get a flight in yesterday. Had one failed launch, hit my leg was I was releasing it and made it roll a little bit, I chopped the throttle and leveled it out and it landed with no damage.

I decided to try to hold it in front of me by the spine and just tossed it that way, much smoother and more predictable. Great flight though!!! I did overshoot my landing approach though and landed in the baseball diamond sand/rocks. Luckily I already had the motor spooled down, so no damage at all, just super dirty. :) Got home and blew most of it off with my air compressor.

Hoping to get another flight in this afternoon.

I ordered a Watts Up meter from HobbyKing, so we'll see how long it takes to get here from the international warehouse.

Where did you order that EDF from? I heard the 10 blades sound so much better! Let's see a picture of it.

Jason,

So how would you discribe her handling?

I ordered mine thru e-bay (a friend ordered his through this guy and was happy with the service) - http://www.ebay.com/itm/XRP-ChangeSun-70mm-10-Blades-V3-Ducted-Fan-Unit-with-3-17mm-and-4mm-Motor-adapt-/251397767149 Look in the seller info box and click on the 'go to store' and scroll down you'll also find the aluminum spinner nut for it if you want it (make sure you order the one for the 10 blade fan)!

I found this article, it's pretty basic but has some real good info for anyone new (like me)to EDF's - http://www.radiocontrolinfo.com/EDF/index.php Click on the 'known setups' button on the left and then on 'ChangeSun 70mm 10 Blade - CS7010' to see the data on different battery / motor combos!

Robin

PS - Sorry Jason, forgot the pic (more on link) This the 10b fan with the aluminum spinner.

Attachments

• CS 10b 70mm rotor 002.jpg
    CS 10b 70mm rotor 002.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 99
Last edited:

Shambopyro

So I'm planning a viggen build, and had originally planned to get the grayson package. After these QC issues though, I'm having second thoughts. Should I still go with the grayson package?

raptor3dpilot

Besides the marks on the fan housing and the blades, I haven't had any issues with the combo. I balanced the blades before installing it though. I'm not sure on how the package price compares to other units though. This was my first EDF, so I went for the recommended package. I heard the 10blade changsun sounds really awesome and more like a turbine. I may try that out on my next build.

Awesome aircraft though that is plenty fast and a blast to fly!! I still need to invest in a bunch of more batteries.