KK Blackboard Setup Issues

voipmonkey

Hi Guys
i am having a few strange things happen when trying to program a KK Blackboard 5.5.
i cant seem to change the gyro's as the yaw is the wrong way round.
i have followed davids procedure on rcexplorer.se but which ever way i turn the post nothing happens.
anyone else had this.
Oh yeah this is using tricoper v1.6 firmware.
Mark

Manfet

Yeah I had the same problem one day. My solution was to use 1.6 by kapteinkuk. There are some 1.6 versions for the tricopter. With the 2.5 and 1.6 by someone else my pots didn't change anything too.

voipmonkey

Yeah I had the same problem one day. My solution was to use 1.6 by kapteinkuk. There are some 1.6 versions for the tricopter. With the 2.5 and 1.6 by someone else my pots didn't change anything too.

Hi Manfet
I did have 2.5 on it and changed to 1.6 but i guess i still got the wrong version. did you have to download separate to programming tool?
Mark

voipmonkey

answered my own question. the pot thing changed in version 1.6 and they way to reverse the tail gyro is by moving the connector from M4 to M5 and the gyro works great.

Shadow74

Multi-rotor madman
Hey Mark,

I just read this, and was gonna say that you need to put your servo lead to M5. depending on which direction your servo is mounted mechanically, will determine which plug it goes into. I did the same thing.

but, you beat me to it. ;)

Eric

voipmonkey

Hey Mark,

I just read this, and was gonna say that you need to put your servo lead to M5. depending on which direction your servo is mounted mechanically, will determine which plug it goes into. I did the same thing.

but, you beat me to it. ;)

Eric

school boy error :) i just need to wait until the wind calms down here about 25 - 35 MPH gusts :(
Mark

Manfet

Are you sure everything is fine now.
I had the same problem my pots were not reacting and the yaw was in the wrong direction so I read about putting the servo into M5 to reverse the tail.
Everything looked fine for me then. I maidend it and it crashed immediately.
Problem was the Pots did not "work". Because of that the end points of the ESCs were not set correctly and it was unflyable.
After that I switched to 1.6 from kapteinkuk (there is a mirror on lazyzeros server with the Flash Programm) and after that the tail servo was fine immediately in M4 and I could set the endpoints and reverse the arming process with the pots.
Good Luck with your maiden flight by the way mine tricopter is a copy from rcexplorer.se Tricopter V2.5

voipmonkey

thanks manfet
I think I am going to give the 1.6 a go as i am sure one of the motors is not spinning up at same speed as others which i think is the ESC End Points.
My pots don't seem to work at all.
very windy so maiden will have to wait i think more tweaking. I think my next adventure will be a multi wii aurduino controller :)
Mark

Manfet

If you have a Spektrum Receiver there could be another problem because setting of the endpoints is only done with the correct pod placement and RX signal. Unfourtunately some Spektrum RX take more time starting up than the ESCs and the signal from the RX comes to late. If that is your problem you have to get another power source for the RX (I took another ESC).

And another warning. Many people say you should not use the BECs in parallel to power one source. So I had to cut all the power lines from the RX to the KK Board (the red middle cables of the servo) and solder them back together after setting the endpoints. I just got the idea that it could be enough if you disconnect all the cables except throttle and do the cut on that one but I don't know and have not tried it out.

Zach Scott

i have an hk hh board verison 2 and i can't get the gyros to reverse. i have tried reflashing and still nothing. It hovers then flips over from the yaw motor. So was trying to flip the yaw gyro. I guess i am gonna just have to get my multiwii board finished.

The kk is not nearly as easy to setup as David makes it seem.

Shadow74

Multi-rotor madman
i have an hk hh board verison 2 and i can't get the gyros to reverse. i have tried reflashing and still nothing. It hovers then flips over from the yaw motor. So was trying to flip the yaw gyro. I guess i am gonna just have to get my multiwii board finished.

The kk is not nearly as easy to setup as David makes it seem.

Zach, I have never used a HK board, however I have one KK Blueboard, and have two KK Blackboards with the latest firmware (flown in tri-copter and quadcopter X modes) and have had no trouble at all. Here is the link to the site where I bought my board, and also to the instructions for setting it up. I had probs with my tricopter tail being reversed, and the gyro correcting the wrong direction at first too, but after reading these instructions, found it to work really easy.

Is it possible that your Hobby King Board is defective?

Check out these setup instructions and lemme know what ya think. KK boards fly amazing, I would hate to see you not get it working....cuz I am loving the stability and reliability of the ones that I have.

Make sure to scroll down the page a ways, to find the setup instructions

http://www.kkmulticopter.kr/index.html?modea=manual

Cheers!

Eric

voipmonkey

Version 1.6 as Manfet suggested and all working OK. Found pots to be reversed too which threw me a little but thanks to the yaw osculation I figured out i was at 100% not 0%. Motors now seems all to be working together but for some reason my angle on the rear motor has changed :S easy to adjust though. Looking like if the wind ever dies down maiden soon.
thanks for all the advise guys.

voipmonkey

well did the maiden a bit windy but i thought hey what the heck. Could not get a stable hover? when i finally got it to take off it just flipped over causing the front and rear props to destroy themselves :(

Not sure why this happened all i can think is maybe too much vibration on the kk board? also not sure if i should try and counter rotating prop on the from left arm as its suggests in the kk manual?
Any ideas guys

Started the quad frame today too will post another thread with these in later on. Went with 12" arms to give me a sporty quad :) i hope

Mark

Last edited:

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
Two props should be counter-rotating. On two opposite sides.
Eg the front and back go in one direction, the left and right go the other direction.

voipmonkey

Eg the front and back go in one direction, the left and right go the other direction.

This is where i think i am going wrong on davids site they all go the same way :(

have some more props will give this a go , thanks
Mark

Manfet

Nope you didn't do it wrong. You can fly a Tricopter with all props turning in the same direction (Mine is setup in that way). Colorex is talking about Quadcopters. You can fly a tricopter with different rotating directions. If you want to do that then the ones in the front should not go in the same direction.

Put all of the propellers off and test out the reaction of the gyros again (Step 4 on the tricopter setup guide on rcexplorer.se). One of them is probably working in the wrong direction because of that it does flip over. It tries to correct the movement in the wrong way and adds up on the movement --> flip.

I hope everything beside the 2 props is still good.

voipmonkey

Will double check it. It is quite hard to see if the motors speed up and slow down?
All rest is good I think I need to remount board as one of pillars broke off I also think I need a cover to protect the control board too.
Mark

Manfet

Yep I too think that is very hard. I was kinda in lucky position because I had the wrong endpoints on the ESC when I made this. So the other motors came to full stop when I was shaking it around. That made it easy to realise which setting was right but I crashed because of it at maiden and was not as lucky as you (Hard crash). Just try it extensivly and give yourself space so you can give it a real good shaking.

ananas1301

Crazy flyer/crasher :D
You connect each motor seperately and look if the direction of compensation of the gyros works. Or you get the motor you want to test right next to year ear (obviously without props) and listen to the motor. You can hear it change its rpms.

Or what you do but CAREFULLY!!!! hold the Tri in your hands with ONE prop attached. All three motors will turn but only one will generate thrust. This way you can check wether it does the right thing only on that motor. But please be really careful.

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
when i finally got it to take off it just flipped over causing the front and rear props to destroy themselves

Colorex is talking about Quadcopters.

Yes I was talking about quads, sorry for the confusion, I got the idea that it was a quadcopter we were talking about...
I'm kind of sick today, that's probably why.