Knuckle H-Quad

PHugger

Church Meal Expert
An easy way to check your printer....
Find a printable ruler online in whatever format you need (PDF).
Print the ruler and check it.
Play with your printer settings until you can get it to print without scaling (the correct size).
Try on a different brand printer if you still have trouble.

Best regards,
PCH

jhitesma

Some guy in the desert
Mentor
PHugger I tried that and was able to get close but was still off by .25". My first frame is 90% finished with the odd ball scale so we will see if it works. I will just have to fly it smash it and try it again. Next time I will try your advice Jhitesma.

Thanks for the advice.

The knuckle design is really forgiving. I made my first one using a razor blade to cut out the knuckles from plywood - as you can guess my accuracy was not that great :D The nice thing about accurate parts on the knuckle is they're easily interchangeable. With less accurate parts it just means once you drill the holes things only like to go together in that orientation. But - just make the holes a bit bigger and things will align - then cinch down the bolts to hold it in place.

Just tweak your boom lengths to try and make sure the shape is a square more than a rectangle. But being 0.25" off is no big deal and really won't affect the way it flies.

The author of bigprint suggests using color inkjet printers rather than laser as in his experience they're more accurate (it has to do with keeping the colors aligned) but I usually print on my B&W laser and even though it's a super cheap one (I Paid barely $100 for it almost 10 years ago and have only replaced the toner twice!) I get really good accuracy out of it. It is slightly more accurate in one direction than the other which I think is due to the grain of the paper and expansion/contraction of same from the heat the laser generates. But for RC plans it's plenty accurate.

PHugger

Church Meal Expert
I have very big hands and was trying to buy some new gloves. The Big Glove website I was ordering from had instructions about how to measure around your hand to determine what size to order. Being at work I didn't have a ruler. I asked around and one of my Cow Orkers offered me one that he had printed. I measured away and ordered a nice $40 pair. They arrived and I couldn't even get my hands in. I had to give them to my daughter. They were so far off that I got suspicious of the ruler I had used so I checked it against a real ruler - way off! The new size 13 gloves fit OK. I have since printed paper rulers at work (HP Laser) but always make sure I prevent it from scaling.

Two take aways -
It is true what they say about men with big hands, we do wear big gloves!
Never trust your Cow Orkers with important technical issues like printing FT plans.

Best regards,
PCH

Missaka

Hey FT guys i have a 4ch transmitter can i fly this knuckle H quad? Can i use 1200kv 3s motors with99inch or 10 inch prop?

Missaka

knuckle H quad TX

Hey FT guys i have a 4ch transmitter can i fly this knuckle H quad? Can i use 1200kv 3s motors with99inch or 10 inch prop?