Learning to fly: Nano QX and DX8

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
kah00na,

I see that it *looks* like a nanoQX, and who knows, it's probably a good flyer (not really that hard to do these days) . . . .but I don't see anything there saying it can run in an acro mode. Have you played with this li'll guy to confirm that it can go into a non-self-level mode?

kah00na

No, I haven't flown it. I saw it on banggood's website and it looks pretty enticing because of its $23 price tag. I haven't seen any specific info on it either. It is a new arrival so it will be a while till someone gets one to try out.

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
Fair enough . . . just curious. I suppose we'll all find out soon enough ;)

So far, Blade has been the only OEM gutsy enough to let the pilot fly their microquad upside-down (even if it won't do that for long). It would be good if another OEM would do the same in their "expert" mode -- it would be nice to have a cheap alternative to recommend as an acro trainer.

Biff45452

Would you guys say that the nano qx in acro mode is a good representation of what a full quad flys like?

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
In how it's controlled, yes.

In how it flies, no. The nanoQX is far lighter than a "full quad", and as such it will handle with far less momentum -- it picks up speed faster, slows faster, and responds to changes in throttle much quicker. A larger airframe -- even with a higher power:weight ratio -- will be more sluggish to respond and more damped in it's movements. This is an issue of the physics.

The similarity in how it's controlled, however makes it a fine trainer for the bigger airframes since it'll let you learn the control and orientation on a well tuned and more forgiving platform.

Balu

Lurker
Staff member
Admin
I have no problem flying my big quad in acro (as long as I don't get tangled in orientation issues), but I can't get the Nano QX to fly in that mode - even with the low rates setting. I will buy an OrangeRX module for my taranis though and see if that'll help with controlling the Nano, but with the standard transmitter in acro I will just shake the copter from side to side until it flips, because it reacts so fast.

Braindog

Would you guys say that the nano qx in acro mode is a good representation of what a full quad flys like?

Ive got the Nano QX and an 1SQ. I think that the 1SQ flys more like a bigger Quad and is more stable in hovering. The 1 SQ is in my opinion the Tank under the Micros. I love to fly both. NanoQX is more for Beginners because of Autolevel Mods and if u Advanced and want to fly without Autolevel then try the 1SQ from Helimax. I just bought and fly the 200QX and love it, but still flying the 1SQ Outdoors and the NanoQX indoors;)

Biff45452

Thanks to the advice in this thread, I went and picked up a Nano QX so I could learn to fly multirotors. Do you think I should forgo using stability mode so that I don't use it as a crutch from day one, or would that be simply too difficult?

Balu

Lurker
Staff member
Admin
People say it's a good idea to not use stability mode and really learn to fly, but I find the NanoQX too touchy to fly without - even though I can handle my big quad in acro mode (until I loose orientation which I do a lot :-/)

JourneyFPV

Hi, Great thread! I just bought and built the Elecrtohub and have had a few flights and a few crashes but I'm running out of time to practice as the cold and snow is moving in and I think I need to move indoors. I was unsure if on my limited budget to buy a Nano QX or go for a simulator.

I think the Nano would be more fun but which would be the best for practice for my electrohub?

Thanks!