Life of the Simple Scout...

Marty72

Elite member
The Scout is really beginner friendly and just fun to fly!
As a beginner, I would agree. One thing that helped me a lot with the Scout was detuning the ailerons. ie, I set up a low rate for them, that was really low. I found that for just simple flying (Scout spec build) 60/40 on the ailerons was plenty (and it kept me from crashing). The elevator and rudder weren't an issue for me, I kept them around 85/40. This is just my experience. Most of my crashes on the Scout 1.0 were due to me dropping the wing down on turns way too far, and crashing. The low rates slowed things down and allowed me to keep the plane in the air longer. BTW, my first unsuccessful flights with the Scout were using low rates of 70/30 on all surfaces.

On the Scout 2.0, I made the control surfaces with more range that the spec. I used the middle on on the servo arm. With that set up mechanically, I have three rates for the Scout 2.0. For landing and take offs currently I use 40/40 aileron, 60/40 elevator, 75/40 rudder for my low rate. High rate I use 100/30 for all surfaces. I have a medium rate as well, right between low and high. After I get the bird up, I switch to high rates. I know some here will think this is crazy, but it works well for me. BTW, I can do loops with ease and some other maneuvers in the low rates. I find the low rate helps me with landing, I'm forced to be smoother, slower and if I do make a mistake, it happens slow enough for me to have a chance to recover. I find it great for flying low and slow as well. That's my experience, as a beginner with this plane.

For those who may just be tuning in, My Scout 2.0 is a replacement for the heavily crashed and damaged 1.0. I believe I crashed the 1.0 on my first 8 attempts to fly it. It went through a lot and still looked and flew good until it's final epic crash (some pages back).

Best of luck on your Maiden.

Tr33s

As a beginner, I would agree. One thing that helped me a lot with the Scout was detuning the ailerons. ie, I set up a low rate for them, that was really low. I found that for just simple flying (Scout spec build) 60/40 on the ailerons was plenty (and it kept me from crashing). The elevator and rudder weren't an issue for me, I kept them around 85/40. This is just my experience. Most of my crashes on the Scout 1.0 were due to me dropping the wing down on turns way too far, and crashing. The low rates slowed things down and allowed me to keep the plane in the air longer. BTW, my first unsuccessful flights with the Scout were using low rates of 70/30 on all surfaces.

On the Scout 2.0, I made the control surfaces with more range that the spec. I used the middle on on the servo arm. With that set up mechanically, I have three rates for the Scout 2.0. For landing and take offs currently I use 40/40 aileron, 60/40 elevator, 75/40 rudder for my low rate. High rate I use 100/30 for all surfaces. I have a medium rate as well, right between low and high. After I get the bird up, I switch to high rates. I know some here will think this is crazy, but it works well for me. BTW, I can do loops with ease and some other maneuvers in the low rates. I find the low rate helps me with landing, I'm forced to be smoother, slower and if I do make a mistake, it happens slow enough for me to have a chance to recover. I find it great for flying low and slow as well. That's my experience, as a beginner with this plane.

For those who may just be tuning in, My Scout 2.0 is a replacement for the heavily crashed and damaged 1.0. I believe I crashed the 1.0 on my first 8 attempts to fly it. It went through a lot and still looked and flew good until it's final epic crash (some pages back).

Thank you for sharing that, sounds like excellent advice. I’ll switch my rates before the maiden. My Scout 1.0 flies great, but landings are still a little shaky.

Tr33s

Question: I’m changing my radio settings for Scout 2.0 and I’m assuming that 60/40 aileron would be 60% dual rate/40% expo?

Marty72

Elite member
That's the right thing to do. It makes a big difference to me, at least.

The days of drizzle stopped finally so I took the Scout out this morning to fly. I left my new Sportster at home as I was it a bit breezy. When I got to the sight, the wind was just a light breeze. Half of the first flight of the Scout was amazing. I almost forgot how much more fun it is to fly with near calm conditions, but halfway through the flight, the winds started to increase. I ran 4 batteries this morning, each session was windier than the first but it was still fun and I really do enjoy flying my Scout. I'm going to maiden the Sportster this week, a cold front is coming through this afternoon, so not sure about tomorrow. New Years day's forecast is awesome but that day has already been filled by other activities. If I can't maiden tomorrow, I'll try real hard to squeeze in a flight on Wednesday. I'll get it in this week, I really want to see how different it is than the scout.

Last edited:

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
That's the right thing to do. It makes a big difference to me, at least.

The days of drizzle stopped finally so I took the Scout out this morning to fly. I left my new Sportster at home as I was it a bit breezy. When I got to the sight, the wind was just a light breeze. Half of the first flight of the Scout was amazing. I almost forgot how much more fun it is to fly with near calm conditions, but halfway through the flight, the winds started to increase. I ran 4 batteries this morning, each session was windier than the first but it was still fun and I really do enjoy flying my Scout. I'm going to maiden the Sportster this week, a cold front is coming through this afternoon, so not sure about tomorrow. New Years day's forecast is awesome but that day has already been filled by other activities. If I can't maiden tomorrow, I'll try real hard to squeeze in a flight on Wednesday. I'll get it in this week, I really want to see how different it is than the scout.
I'm glad you're having fun with the scout! You'll do great with the sportster. I'm planning on building the sporster in the near future as well - you and @BATTLEAXE convinced me! :D

Marty72

Elite member
I tried to maiden the Sportster this afternoon, however, the wind at the site was too high. I had a backup plan, I was going to fly the Scout if it was too windy maiden but it was too windy and gusty for me to fly anything. I hung around for about 15 minutes before giving up. Sometimes it hard to tell, I have a lot of trees around my house, so they shield me from the wind. I look at several sites and do my best to get data, but the data isn't all that good. I have me best luck first thing in the morning. I'll try again tomorrow morning.

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
I tried to maiden the Sportster this afternoon, however, the wind at the site was too high. I had a backup plan, I was going to fly the Scout if it was too windy maiden but it was too windy and gusty for me to fly anything. I hung around for about 15 minutes before giving up. Sometimes it hard to tell, I have a lot of trees around my house, so they shield me from the wind. I look at several sites and do my best to get data, but the data isn't all that good. I have me best luck first thing in the morning. I'll try again tomorrow morning.
Aww, that’s too bad. It’s better to wait than rush it and crash though...

Marty72

Elite member
Yeah, I agree. I wouldn't even put up the Scout because I knew what would happen. I get it up there like a kite and then realize that this isn't good and not fun and try to get it back to ground safely.

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
I have had fun flying in the wind with vimana’s arrowhead, but it’s a much different plane than the scour or sportster. I’ve flown the scout in decent wind and it’s not that enjoyable.

Marty72

Elite member
I flew the Scout today after I maidened the Sportster. I think if I was trying to decide which plane to build I'd go with the Scout. I find it flies faster and is very responsive. As I get more time with the Sportster and get it all set up for me, I may change my mind but right now I'd pick the Scout. I will say the Sportster is a much more solid build and great for belly landing (especially in the sand as the bottom is all sealed up). I think you could crash the heck out of it and it would still be in great shape. The Sportster does look way cool in the sky.

https://studio.youtube.com/video/p7TmqM4c_kA/edit

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
I flew the Scout today after I maidened the Sportster. I think if I was trying to decide which plane to build I'd go with the Scout. I find it flies faster and is very responsive. As I get more time with the Sportster and get it all set up for me, I may change my mind but right now I'd pick the Scout. I will say the Sportster is a much more solid build and great for belly landing (especially in the sand as the bottom is all sealed up). I think you could crash the heck out of it and it would still be in great shape. The Sportster does look way cool in the sky.

https://studio.youtube.com/video/p7TmqM4c_kA/edit
Have you flown the P-40 yet? It will be similar to the Sportster for handling but faster like the Scout