Life of the Simple Scout...

Marty72

Elite member
Crashed the Scout today, unforced error on my part. I couldn't get it to track down the street straight for a take off (with curbs and light posts). Instead of doing what I normally do when the happens (hand launch), I forced the issue. I've got about 8 successful take off from the curbed street but today, I did everything wrong. I got into a tank slapper going down the street at speed, slammed the elevator back, plane shot straight up within inches of the street light (totally out of control), I cut the throttle (dumb), then immediately realizing my mistake, I went to full throttle, but it was too late. Plane stalled, and was headed for the pavement, I did everything I could, was able to hit the pavement with some angle and salvaged the plane. I took me about an hour of repair but I got it fixed and flew it this afternoon. A little bit of damage everywhere, pavement is unforgiving. I ran three batteries through it today, it's a great plane and has become my favorite. With the extra power of the C motor, extra authority due to the larger throws at all the control surfaces, the plane is just a blast to fly. I'm running the 9x6 prop and it does fine with that. It's fast and nibble.

A nice smooth grass take off and landing site is the way to go. On the road, the hand made, easily bendable landing gear is very sensitive and changes direction rapidly (my umx timber, does not do this). On grass or dirt, it is much less sensitive. I have no grass at the site and the sand is now unmanageable to do landings or take off with the gear on. Other than that, I'm lucky to have such a large, vacant lot to use.

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Crashed the Scout today, unforced error on my part. I couldn't get it to track down the street straight for a take off (with curbs and light posts). Instead of doing what I normally do when the happens (hand launch), I forced the issue. I've got about 8 successful take off from the curbed street but today, I did everything wrong. I got into a tank slapper going down the street at speed, slammed the elevator back, plane shot straight up within inches of the street light (totally out of control), I cut the throttle (dumb), then immediately realizing my mistake, I went to full throttle, but it was too late. Plane stalled, and was headed for the pavement, I did everything I could, was able to hit the pavement with some angle and salvaged the plane. I took me about an hour of repair but I got it fixed and flew it this afternoon. A little bit of damage everywhere, pavement is unforgiving. I ran three batteries through it today, it's a great plane and has become my favorite. With the extra power of the C motor, extra authority due to the larger throws at all the control surfaces, the plane is just a blast to fly. I'm running the 9x6 prop and it does fine with that. It's fast and nibble.

A nice smooth grass take off and landing site is the way to go. On the road, the hand made, easily bendable landing gear is very sensitive and changes direction rapidly (my umx timber, does not do this). On grass or dirt, it is much less sensitive. I have no grass at the site and the sand is now unmanageable to do landings or take off with the gear on. Other than that, I'm lucky to have such a large, vacant lot to use.
Just can't kill the Scout huh :ROFLMAO:

Marty72

Elite member
The bull nose of the Sportster, maybe a hatch similar to the P 40. The underside of the nose is not all the solid on the scout, the Sportster is. If you do belly landings, all sorts of terra firma gets jammed in there (in my case a lot of sand). The P 40 installs the battery on the bottom but it has a the hatch to beef it up and seal it. Not sure exactly how I'll do it but I'll definitely beef it up if I make another.

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Not much at this point, date, number of flights, which plane, a change or crash.
That's cool. I remember the last time I was at a flying field I met a guy who has been keeping flight logs for over 30 years. Even when I met him he seemed like a very meticulous kinda guy off first impression. And he flew like 4-5 days a week. Chances are you could ask him what the weather was on July 17 2003 and he would be able to tell you, what planes he flew, how he had them set up, what battery, how long they flew for, what repairs he did the day before, etc. Cool stuff

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
That's cool. I remember the last time I was at a flying field I met a guy who has been keeping flight logs for over 30 years. Even when I met him he seemed like a very meticulous kinda guy off first impression. And he flew like 4-5 days a week. Chances are you could ask him what the weather was on July 17 2003 and he would be able to tell you, what planes he flew, how he had them set up, what battery, how long they flew for, what repairs he did the day before, etc. Cool stuff
Yeah, and I can't even remember where my first ft-22 came into my hangar. I can't remember whether it was before or after the old speedster. I'm pretty sure before, but I'm not 100% certain. :ROFLMAO:

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
I am back... with a new Scout idea.
20200222_171638.jpg

This will be the third standard size and 5th overall Scout builds. I really liked how every Scout I had flew, well the first three anyway. There was the J. Cash maiden we don't need to talk about. But this is completely different, this is going 3D/Sport. I took inspiration mostly from the FT-3D, and a myriad of other 3D and sport planes. This will incorporate the look of the Scout but with performance in mind, like if the actual WW1 scout plane was modified to be more of a fighter for aerial scrambles. It will be a 4 channel, might have to do the ailerons with one servo, depends on how desperate get. Mind you I will be picking up more servos on Thursday. So far I have the wing taking shape...
20200222_203553.jpg

It will be a 3 layer symmetrical KFm wing, I have put 12" of CF spar in the middle plus the 3 layers should make for a solid wing. Especially since I copped 2" notch for more power pod space on the LE. Still doing more tonight, getting all the layers cut and the separate ailerons. This way I can pass the wing through the fuse and have the ailerons right up against the fuse and all the way out to the wing tip. I might do something with the wing tips as far as wing fences, something to fit the Scout WW1 style

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
Your build is off to a great start! You bet I’ll be doing one of these once I get my build list under control... At the moment, I’m working on a Corsair, T-28, normal edge, and 140% edge and there are several others that need to be finished up like the P-38, fb ultra stick, and hooking the Eflite Valiant up with electronics... Oh yeah, and not to mention the sea angel sbk I started to build and the ft racer I have mostly cut out... I also have part of the plans for the P-47 tiled and taped together. So many planes, so little time.

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
I am back... with a new Scout idea.
View attachment 159005
This will be the third standard size and 5th overall Scout builds. I really liked how every Scout I had flew, well the first three anyway. There was the J. Cash maiden we don't need to talk about. But this is completely different, this is going 3D/Sport. I took inspiration mostly from the FT-3D, and a myriad of other 3D and sport planes. This will incorporate the look of the Scout but with performance in mind, like if the actual WW1 scout plane was modified to be more of a fighter for aerial scrambles. It will be a 4 channel, might have to do the ailerons with one servo, depends on how desperate get. Mind you I will be picking up more servos on Thursday. So far I have the wing taking shape... View attachment 159006
It will be a 3 layer symmetrical KFm wing, I have put 12" of CF spar in the middle plus the 3 layers should make for a solid wing. Especially since I copped 2" notch for more power pod space on the LE. Still doing more tonight, getting all the layers cut and the separate ailerons. This way I can pass the wing through the fuse and have the ailerons right up against the fuse and all the way out to the wing tip. I might do something with the wing tips as far as wing fences, something to fit the Scout WW1 style
I'm diggin' it, B.A.! Full size or mini, there's not much the FT Scout cannot do. You're really onto something with this one! (y)(y)

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Was workin away on the Scout and time got away from me, I am tired though so it is time to go to bed. But before I leave I will give you a peak of what I got going on...
20200223_034441.jpg

The wing as you saw it before is now all layered up, still need to put the ailerons on the wing. The ailerons will have a chord of 3" at the root and tampered to 2" at the wing tip. I left them off in order to slide the wing through the fuse. Other then that the fuse is pretty much stock, other then the tail. Centered the Hstab to the thrust line which is where the wing is sitting as well...
20200223_034528.jpg

On the table its all squared up enough to fly. I do have the power pod installed as well. I gave it some down thrust but no right. the Pod itself is 5.5" long and just fits a 2200 in between the firewall and the skewer, no movement of the battery...
20200223_034603.jpg

Turned measurement marks into art like pinstripes. I might not even paint this, I have some silver poster board I can cover this with for the hood and cockpit. Gonna leave the back open here like a pick up truck, the hole is for 2 servos to control the tail.

I have also dropped some of the Vstab to under the fuse. Both the rudder and elevator have been extended by an inch for more surface area. This will be the first Scout that I actually retain the scallops carved into the TE's. Servos for the ailerons will be tucked underneath just like on the FT-3D. That's all I got for now and good night

mayan

Legendary member
Was workin away on the Scout and time got away from me, I am tired though so it is time to go to bed. But before I leave I will give you a peak of what I got going on...
View attachment 159014
The wing as you saw it before is now all layered up, still need to put the ailerons on the wing. The ailerons will have a chord of 3" at the root and tampered to 2" at the wing tip. I left them off in order to slide the wing through the fuse. Other then that the fuse is pretty much stock, other then the tail. Centered the Hstab to the thrust line which is where the wing is sitting as well...
View attachment 159015
On the table its all squared up enough to fly. I do have the power pod installed as well. I gave it some down thrust but no right. the Pod itself is 5.5" long and just fits a 2200 in between the firewall and the skewer, no movement of the battery... View attachment 159016
Turned measurement marks into art like pinstripes. I might not even paint this, I have some silver poster board I can cover this with for the hood and cockpit. Gonna leave the back open here like a pick up truck, the hole is for 2 servos to control the tail.

I have also dropped some of the Vstab to under the fuse. Both the rudder and elevator have been extended by an inch for more surface area. This will be the first Scout that I actually retain the scallops carved into the TE's. Servos for the ailerons will be tucked underneath just like on the FT-3D. That's all I got for now and good night
Looking great like all your mods. Can’t wait to see this one fly.

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Looking great like all your mods. Can’t wait to see this one fly.
It should fly jut like the FT-3D I am thinking. When I built mine I covered it in poster board so it was heavy, this is a lot lighter so far.
Curious what your CF source is... I'm looking at using some on a project and can't decide if the arrow shafts are a better buy or if I should just look online.
My LHS carries CF which is where I got this stuff. But yea arrow shafts are cheaper, sometimes 10 for $5 at Walmart.