Lockheed L-133 Starjet, could been Americas first jet...

leaded50

Legendary member
i had a plan......or? :D

Ive started getting the resources i can find about my next possible build. That plane ive never found mentioned made as an "full" RC model.... just as a single 3D version. And fit my style with unusual builds good, since just got to be a "paperplane", not getting further to even a prototype. US didnt had a belive on jetplanes that time. Lockheed made the planned jet engines... it was very powerful.

the Lockheed L-133 Starjet fighter!

Its a heritage, US first planned jet fighter!
-not a easy build with its shaped curves and blended parts, and very little things to use, but found a 3D drawing, that could be used, together with some pictures by 3D games eg, tht help understand the design. but i believe it should go. If not, ive tried :). 2 x 64mm EDF is in order!
Its a really canard type plane, and never made, just as an US fighter design proposal in early 40´s . Its wing plans was in fact used by the P80.
in 1/10 scale its approx 1400mm long & wide..after checking by the drawings i have, it need be approx 1300mm long to use the EDFs without disorting fuselage shape, at a place where it easy will show. I suppose some adjustments on the airintakes are needed though so the EDF can breathe.
This plane will also be build as a best possible true copy, using masterstyle, and by size, i feel needs detachable wings for better space in transporting, eg.

L-133_5.jpg

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
i had a plan......or? :D

Ive started getting the resources i can find about my next possible build. That plane ive never found mentioned made as an "full" RC model.... just as a single 3D version. And fit my style with unusual builds good, since just got to be a "paperplane", not getting further to even a prototype. US didnt had a belive on jetplanes that time. Lockheed made the planned jet engines... it was very powerful.

the Lockheed L-133 Starjet fighter!

Its a heritage, US first planned jet fighter!
-not a easy build with its shaped curves and blended parts, and very little things to use, but found a 3D drawing, that could be used, together with some pictures by 3D games eg, tht help understand the design. but i believe it should go. If not, ive tried :). 2 x 64mm EDF is in order!
Its a really canard type plane, and never made, just as an US fighter design proposal in early 40´s . Its wing plans was in fact used by the P80.
in 1/10 scale its approx 1400mm long & wide..after checking by the drawings i have, it need be approx 1300mm long to use the EDFs without disorting fuselage shape, at a place where it easy will show. I suppose some adjustments on the airintakes are needed though so the EDF can breathe.
This plane will also be build as a best possible true copy, using masterstyle, and by size, i feel needs detachable wings for better space in transporting, eg.

View attachment 178681
Knowing you, you’re going to blow the build out of the park, and I definitely want to see it come together! Good luck! :D

leaded50

Legendary member
i had it on my list a long time now....and it fits my typical preferences... unique, close to never, or none made :LOL:..
I like the style.. and after the tandem wing build and, research about it, this type as canards coulød also be fun do...

I can tell already, from research by Lockheeds own modelphotos, this pic here, isnt correct by the fuselage - wing area !!

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Wiki sez it never flew. This could be quite the challenge. I was surprised to see the P-80 Shooting Star was the USA's first flying jet. That is one of my own favorites. Maybe hit @Mid7night up for tips how to set up thrust tubes and naca ducts to feed those edf's for the best chance of effective power use.

Are you planning all foam for this or will the curves all be in card-stock or other materials?

leaded50

Legendary member
Wiki sez it never flew. This could be quite the challenge. I was surprised to see the P-80 Shooting Star was the USA's first flying jet. That is one of my own favorites. Maybe hit @Mid7night up for tips how to set up thrust tubes and naca ducts to feed those edf's for the best chance of effective power use.

Are you planning all foam for this or will the curves all be in card-stock or other materials?

P80 was the first produced that flew. One of reason that plane get fastrolled out of hangars, was they already had the designs for the wings... from this L-133 Starjet.
I have already researched some, how/what i can do with the EDF setups. That slot on both sides at rear, are cooling intakes, and was on both top and bottom, i think this ones needs/can be made bigger (more forward) and then get much air through them by altering style a bit. As in any airfoil, air speeds up over there, and this can be used to "open up airstream to edf´s, perhaps also making rear of this openings a little as scoops.
The one i put out picture off is "model C" and was the one planned. At "model B" they had airintakes just at sides rear of canopy ... they didnt look as ok though...
something like at picture here:
airintakes.png

And if necessary, decide on Naca ducts more in front of this.between that and the cockpit.

Last edited:

leaded50

Legendary member
I gonna make by foamboard yes....perhaps the "chine" narrow section from canopy to tailfin will use cardboard.
Unsure if the whole canards should be movable, or just part of it... i not found any reference material who says they was fully, or with control surface part, or even "non"-moving. Some models show fully, others not, and some with control surfaces. I got sended an old article from Aerospace Project Review about the plane, who gave more info... as what incident wings had. And is a member by a "secret projects website", where ill try together to find the info needed.

Last edited:

leaded50

Legendary member
many of the models have the top style profile..... thats incorrect!
What Lockheeds own models show, is more similar to the lower profile here at fuselage.

If you see on the picture over, (with airintakes) it follow much the top profile... that model isnt from Lockheed. The whole fuselage was in main an elongated shape, as an oval (wider than high), all the way to the rear exhaustports. In fact, ment as could help lift.. just as by modern fighters/space crafts of today...

The top picture i started this post with, are a bit more correct, but there the area of where leading edge of wings meet fuselage is incorrect.

I even got info on what thrustline it had.
profile.png

Last edited:

leaded50

Legendary member
of all the places, at moment it dropped in a file from a French guy... giving fully nice profile and over some of fuselage parts drawings :)

Solution on airintake enough is ok... if necessary its just not make landinggear doors, just let them be open.. eg. are the two rear wheels going into same place, angled into belly of fuselage .. if thats open its a space of approx 250mm x 120mm at least by the planned scale. Even if are wheels there, its a good "air intake duct".

Last edited:

L Edge

Master member
A very different project!!!!
One area that you need to address is slow speed. You will have pitch problems if you do not add a movable canard or some sort of chines to the front area for lift. Did a project called 1/3 Tee where lift was generated in the "T" area and thrust in front only. Added device to lift area(stabilizer) , got it to fly without canard until dealing with slow speed. Result, I had to rebuild and replace parts. If you would like to see video, let me know.

Designed my own forward swept wing with EDF (CG is in front of wing) and had a fuse in front. Extended fuse and again no go. Finally glued fixed canard up in front and it flies. If you want to see videos let me know.

Definately need rudder control for yaw since elevons deflections and 2 EDF's(no 2 motors are alike for same thrust). I reduced some of the problem at slow speeds by using the aileron differential in TX.

Yeah, it is good when you have a plane that no one has made. Mine is morphing a wing that swings aft or moves forward in flight. Didn't solve it by moving battery to adjust CG.

leaded50

Legendary member
A very different project!!!!
One area that you need to address is slow speed. You will have pitch problems if you do not add a movable canard or some sort of chines to the front area for lift. Did a project called 1/3 Tee where lift was generated in the "T" area and thrust in front only. Added device to lift area(stabilizer) , got it to fly without canard until dealing with slow speed. Result, I had to rebuild and replace parts. If you would like to see video, let me know.

Designed my own forward swept wing with EDF (CG is in front of wing) and had a fuse in front. Extended fuse and again no go. Finally glued fixed canard up in front and it flies. If you want to see videos let me know.

Definately need rudder control for yaw since elevons deflections and 2 EDF's(no 2 motors are alike for same thrust). I reduced some of the problem at slow speeds by using the aileron differential in TX.

Yeah, it is good when you have a plane that no one has made. Mine is morphing a wing that swings aft or moves forward in flight. Didn't solve it by moving battery to adjust CG.

I already know i want rudder control... about the canards, im not shure yet... Lockheed did a good job thinking much over when planned the plane. aka the size of canards on canard function/lift. They are approx 30% wingarea, thats fit good ...many jets have less, and get more trouble with that..
I found resources on make canards models fly ok, and the L-133 have "straight wings" that give a normal incident of canard other than if was v- shaped wings/delta. Lockheed set it at 3 degrees normal.. wich seems be ok, as a few trying make models found that was ok too. (deltas/V- wings should have less by normal aaircrafts... by models this can change..)
In my mind, i agree, i believe it should be movable canards, or at least movable surfaces on them.
Please @L Edge, i will like see the video. (perhaps i learn something new today too :D )

Last edited:

leaded50

Legendary member
ive started :).... its approx 1000mm more in length.. still not comed back to canopy..
- it was more of a test, to see if my ideas/ would fit (as do) I need order up more foam..

Attachments

• DSC_0354.JPG
    DSC_0354.JPG
    38.9 KB · Views: 0

leaded50

Legendary member
well... my started plans need changed... :cautious: everything ive done ready needs recalculated, and resized. I got the 3D profiles in correct size... but when began planned parts... one or another way, they where 30% off.

leaded50

Legendary member
even another section, but still not reached 50% of length,, Batterycompartment, eg is done, the carbontubes for canards is in place with arm to servos. (can reach it in front of cockpit/battery hatch) and open bottom airchannel all the way from front in approx 50-60% of each sections & formers.

Attachments

• DSC_0356.JPG
    DSC_0356.JPG
    57.5 KB · Views: 0

leaded50

Legendary member
to create some of blended shapes by foamboards, you need use, unusual techniques in hope it gets right.
Next section on the ellipse shaped fuselage here is "coneshaped"... but not as straight cone sides, but curbing from former section out till next section not done yet... Here its done by a cut at sides at first picture, at lowest picture. iots glued shut, curbed!! even if doesnt shows as easy on the picture.

Attachments

• DSC_0357.JPG
    DSC_0357.JPG
    65 KB · Views: 0
  • DSC_0358.JPG
    DSC_0358.JPG
    31.7 KB · Views: 0

L Edge

Master member
I already know i want rudder control... about the canards, im not shure yet... Lockheed did a good job thinking much over when planned the plane. aka the size of canards on canard function/lift. They are approx 30% wingarea, thats fit good ...many jets have less, and get more trouble with that..
I found resources on make canards models fly ok, and the L-133 have "straight wings" that give a normal incident of canard other than if was v- shaped wings/delta. Lockheed set it at 3 degrees normal.. wich seems be ok, as a few trying make models found that was ok too. (deltas/V- wings should have less by normal aaircrafts... by models this can change..)
In my mind, i agree, i believe it should be movable canards, or at least movable surfaces on them.
Please @L Edge, i will like see the video. (perhaps i learn something new today too :D )

This is the Viggen with a servo on each canard and used to trim flight, do tight acrobatics and used to flare nicely on landing.

I like to explore concepts and designs that can be used on any planes. Don't care about looks. That bores me. Been using canards for many years and yes, it can be used as elevons with no problem with individual servos. Size and deflection are the areas of concern.

Be sure to watch the end where I didn't even use screws to hold the canards even when they were used as ailerons.This config had the canards above the wing so deflections provided airflow at high alpha.

leaded50

Legendary member
working with the wing connections. Wings gonna be detachable, and build some "wingboxes" where wing fit exactly inside. By linking them together with a straight "pin", i could sort them correctly at angle, at place to cut openings in fuselage sides at correct places..
DSC_0354 (1).JPG

Last edited:

leaded50

Legendary member
This is the Viggen with a servo on each canard and used to trim flight, do tight acrobatics and used to flare nicely on landing.

I like to explore concepts and designs that can be used on any planes. Don't care about looks. That bores me. Been using canards for many years and yes, it can be used as elevons with no problem with individual servos. Size and deflection are the areas of concern.

Be sure to watch the end where I didn't even use screws to hold the canards even when they were used as ailerons.This config had the canards above the wing so deflections provided airflow at high alpha.
Thanks for the videos, nice to see functionality by canards.