Look What Arrived Friday!

P40VRP

Received the FT P-40 kit Friday that my daughter ordered for me. Now mind you I have never built a RC airplane before nor soloed a RC plane (buddy boxed a few times but my buddy moved away). I plan to start with a tiny trainer, scout, or explorer first but since I am a P-40 freak and I saw the FT P-40 brown kit said limited quantities, I had my daughter order this kit before they ran out.

I have read probably 20 books on the "Flying Tigers" and the Curtis P-40 in combat in Burma, China, Africa, the Mediterranean, and the Pacific. I just completed reading "Into the Teeth of the Tiger" by Donald S. Lopez (an excellent book) and I plan to paint the P-40 based on Lopez's P-40 he flew with the 75th Squadron of the 23rd Fighter Group of the 14th Air Force in China. A photo of "Lope's Hope" is attached. This plane hangs in the Smithsonian although it is not Lopez's actual plane it is a P-40E that was restored as "Lope's Hope" #194. Lopez was Assistant Director of the Smithsonian National Aeronautical Museum after he retired from the USAF. I have included a photo of his book that can still be found new on Amazon (revised printing 1997).

Ryan O.

Out of Foam Board!
Received the FT P-40 kit Friday that my daughter ordered for me. Now mind you I have never built a RC airplane before nor soloed a RC plane (buddy boxed a few times but my buddy moved away). I plan to start with a tiny trainer, scout, or explorer first but since I am a P-40 freak and I saw the FT P-40 brown kit said limited quantities, I had my daughter order this kit before they ran out.

I have read probably 20 books on the "Flying Tigers" and the Curtis P-40 in combat in Burma, China, Africa, the Mediterranean, and the Pacific. I just completed reading "Into the Teeth of the Tiger" by Donald S. Lopez (an excellent book) and I plan to paint the P-40 based on Lopez's P-40 he flew with the 75th Squadron of the 23rd Fighter Group of the 14th Air Force in China. A photo of "Lope's Hope" is attached. This plane hangs in the Smithsonian although it is not Lopez's actual plane it is a P-40E that was restored as "Lope's Hope" #194. Lopez was Assistant Director of the Smithsonian National Aeronautical Museum after he retired from the USAF. I have included a photo of his book that can still be found new on Amazon (revised printing 1997).
The starter planes you listed are perfect to learn on, and once you master then tge P-40 should be a good next plane

P40VRP

Hope the photos attach!

Attachments

• 20200718_102316.jpg
    20200718_102316.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 0
  • NASM-SI-2005-15690.jpg
    NASM-SI-2005-15690.jpg
    643.7 KB · Views: 0

Dunfielder

Don't rule out your P40 as a trainer. I am a beginner and I started with the P40. It flies nice. If you are not opposed to scratch building you can always rebuild repair as needed. You can even use your speed build kit for templates to make unlimited scratch built P40's

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
P-40 is a great flier and an easy build.

make sure to check out @Rasterize for decals that will work. his P-40 skins are pretty close to that color scheme. may save you some time with painting. his website is Fliteskins.com

good luck,

me :cool:

Ryan O.

Out of Foam Board!
Thanks @Ryan O. Of the three mentioned starter planes, which is your favorite?
It depends.If you have a big field the explorer is great, just reinforce the wing. If you have a smaller area the tiny trainer and scout are great. The tiny trainer is cheaper, but the scout can handle more wind.

P40VRP

I'm slowly getting everything together to build my first RC plane. Purchased this 60" hardwood work bench Monday at Harbor Freight. It should be perfect to build my Flite Test planes on.

My daughter has ordered the Flite Test craft kit for me. Has everything I need to get started building including a hot glue gun. Just waiting for it to arrive.

20200817_204808.jpg

Timmy

Legendary member
I'm slowly getting everything together to build my first RC plane. Purchased this 60" hardwood work bench Monday at Harbor Freight. It should be perfect to build my Flite Test planes on.

My daughter has ordered the Flite Test craft kit for me. Has everything I need to get started building including a hot glue gun. Just waiting for it to arrive.

View attachment 177471
You're really getting into it! I just found an old scrappy table on the side of the road that I build on. But I mostly end up building on the ground. There's more space there.

Innaviation

View attachment 177471
Thats awesome! Your just starting in the hobby and already your getting a workshop set up. I've been in the hobby for 5 years but I only recently started making a real workbench and workspace.

Good luck!