Looking for plane

docque

I have been flying two years so far. I am not sure what my level of flying is. I can fly many of the high wing planes. Wings, I am not good at because I think it is a speed/orientation issue for me. My favorite plane to fly is the UMX Timber. I REALLY want a bi-plane and have been looking at the E-Flite PT-17 (1.1m).

You think this is a good choice for me? I need something solid because many of the sotre bought planes I have flown break if you look at them. If not, I will probably get the Timber.

d8veh

Elite member
You should build the Flitetest Sportster. It flies a bit like a biplane. It can go very slow and turn tight without stalling. On low rates, it's extremely docile and controllable just like a trainer or easier. On high rates, it can be a lot of fun. Best of all. like all Flitetest planes, it's very robust and cheap and easy to repair if you mess up.

docque

You should build the Flitetest Sportster. It flies a bit like a biplane. It can go very slow and turn tight without stalling. On low rates, it's extremely docile and controllable just like a trainer or easier. On high rates, it can be a lot of fun. Best of all. like all Flitetest planes, it's very robust and cheap and easy to repair if you mess up.

Not interested in building a plane. Tried the Sportster and didn't like how it turned out. I have found that my Arthritis is so bad that putting a plane together is difficult and painful.

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
You think this is a good choice for me?

Several of my buddies have planes with SAFE in them. All of the planes fly well. The PT17 is a good plane, is has a lot of scale features.
I agree store bought planes are more fragile than my FT planes. That's a choice you need to make, store bought or build your own.
You might consider the Carbon Cub, same size as the PT17, with less scale features. Scale features are great but they do make a plane more fragile. The scale features are just more stuff to break.

docque

Several of my buddies have planes with SAFE in them. All of the planes fly well. The PT17 is a good plane, is has a lot of scale features.
I agree store bought planes are more fragile than my FT planes. That's a choice you need to make, store bought or build your own.
You might consider the Carbon Cub, same size as the PT17, with less scale features. Scale features are great but they do make a plane more fragile. The scale features are just more stuff to break.

Thanks. My thing is I have always loved bi-planes and it would be a great thing to have an RC one. I may build the FT version over the Winter since I will be inside for months on end.

BS projects inc.

Elite member
I flew the umx pt-17 for a while and it flies extremely well. It can't be windy at all but if you get the right weather its the most peaceful thing to fly ever.

d8veh

Elite member
Not interested in building a plane. Tried the Sportster and didn't like how it turned out. I have found that my Arthritis is so bad that putting a plane together is difficult and painful.
That's understandable. you have my sympathy.
I may build the FT version over the Winter since I will be inside for months on end.
That doesn't make sense to me considering what's above. Can you explain? I'd like to help you but I'm struggling to understand what you want.

Biplanes are generally more fragile than monoplanes, so you need to think about that if you don't want a plane that breaks if you look at it.

If you just want a safe plane to fly, i can recommend the hobbyzone Carbon Cub S+. It has to be the safest plane to fly in the world. It has three modes of operation: Completely autonomous that can be assisted or adjusted by input from the pilot; assisted mode, like the PT-17, where the pilot steers it, but the plane keeps itself stable; completely under pilot control, like any normal plane, in which mode it can do a full range of aerobatics. you can switch between modes at any time. The plane has auto-land too that can land better than most pilots.

There are a couple of other planes in the Hobbyzone range with the SAFE+ system, which I guess are fairly similar to fly as the Cub.

Last edited:

docque

That's understandable. you have my sympathy.

That doesn't make sense to me considering what's above. Can you explain? I'd like to help you but I'm struggling to understand what you want.

Biplanes are generally more fragile than monoplanes, so you need to think about that if you don't want a plane that breaks if you look at it.

If you just want a safe plane to fly, i can recommend the hobbyzone Carbon Cub S+. It has to be the safest plane to fly in the world. It has three modes of operation: Completely autonomous that can be assisted or adjusted by input from the pilot; assisted mode, like the PT-17, where the pilot steers it, but the plane keeps itself stable; completely under pilot control, like any normal plane, in which mode it can do a full range of aerobatics. you can switch between modes at any time. The plane has auto-land too that can land better than most pilots.

There are a couple of other planes in the Hobbyzone range with the SAFE+ system, which I guess are fairly similar to fly as the Cub.

Sorry for the confusion. What I meant is that building planes is not worth it to me because it takes a very long time for me to build them because of my arthritis and I suck at it. The comment about building the FT biplane is that since NY Winters are so long, I can spend six months building the plane. 30 minutes a day or so depending on my pain level.

I do own a few store bought planes and love them. Some with SAFE and some without. I just love biplanes and want a nice one.