Lost plane :( and some transmitter help please

Monty

GUTTED. The Dynam Albatros arrived. Damaged, the rudder and elevator where snapped off , a huge melted area on the top surface of the top wing :(

TheFlyingBrit

Legendary member
GUTTED. The Dynam Albatros arrived. Damaged, the rudder and elevator where snapped off , a huge melted area on the top surface of the top wing :(
Not a cheap plane either ! You would expect it to be packaged better if thats where the damage occured, or inspected before posting if its pre postal damage.

Monty

Its a lot worse in RL

wing.jpg

Last edited:

Monty

and these loose in the box

Attachments

• broken tail.jpg
    broken tail.jpg
    734.7 KB · Views: 0
  • tail 02.jpg
    tail 02.jpg
    744 KB · Views: 0

TheFlyingBrit

Legendary member
I would actually re-consider this :unsure: are the control surfaces supposed to be connected (foam hinges) or does the kit come with seperate hinges the type you fit yourself ? ie slot in with glue.
If it doesn't use seperate hinges I would seriously consider fitting them myself before flying that model, if its suppose to use the pre-formed foam hinges I wouln't trust them if they just fell apart intransit.

TheFlyingBrit

Legendary member
Dont know what you paid, but Ive seen that model selling on Ebay for £250 plus. I would send it back just because of the heat damage on the wing alone, thats obviously a forming fault during the molding process. It should havce been spotted at some point before final packaging.

Monty

Looking at them I would say they are meant to be joined, there's a rough cut edge where it's snapped off, strange thing is it looks like someone has cut slots into the elevator for hinges as a repair,, no slots in the tail. , not slots in either rudder section,
No hinges included . I'd be happy about just that if the shop sent me a bag of hinges to fix it, but the top wing I'm not capable of fixing

TheFlyingBrit

Legendary member
I was told a tip when you crash a foam plane and its got a dent or crease, get rid of it by heat (gentle warm air) or warm/hot water. It brings the dent or crease out.
The disadvantage of this is you loose the smooth appearance and the surface becomes textured ie bubbly like the area on your wing, I wonder if it was damaged and someone has used that technique to get rid of the dent or crease ?
I have seen videos since on You tube doing the same thing so know it works, worth checking out. Doesn't solve your problem though its the opposite,
Send it back and tell them to inspect the next model before sending it :mad:

Monty

Have to be as top wing as well, that whole mess ruins it, not sure how it would affect flight as well

Last edited:

TheFlyingBrit

Legendary member
If you get a decent refund to keep it, you could stabilise the surface with a foam safe adhesive, use a light weight filler like the spakel that the guys keep mentioning onthe forum.
Then sand it smooth, when you get it looking something like (no bubbles). You can use the acrylic filler, I just bought some (got it from scewfix £2.40 a tube), smooth it over the area you sanded, then when dry use a fine wet and dry to blend it in with the rest of the wing.
The last bits the hard bit, buy some red and white acrylic paint and try to match the shade of red (may need some orange or yellow too so it blends in perfectly.
Thats what I would do, but I would want a good refund off them.

TheFlyingBrit

Legendary member
Have to be as top wing as well, that whole mess ruins it, not sure how it would affect flight as well
Wont affect the flight its the same foam so density wont have changed and the bubble effect isnt raised enough to impart turbulent flow over the wing. its just an asthetic appearance issue and the fact its suppose to be perfect.
I would suggest them posting you another top wing from another model and some free hinges, plus send you a free postage label to return the damaged wing ?
Got to be cheaper than returning the whole model and waiting for them to send a full replacement ?
They can then put the dodgy wing in the other box and send it back to the supplier for a refund themselves.

RokrRJ

Not sure about the GPS unit but the Flysky FA-iA6B allows you to plug in several stand alone telemtery units (which are really cheap by the way). I bought one to give me a reading of my Lipo/flight battery status £4 it cost, you can get an altimeter one and a motor speed version. They plug into the IBus slot and pig tail each other.
Better than the new ones built into the Spektrum AR410and AR620 they only have a range of 300meters so you can only get info when you fly past lol :LOL:
Did you get your Trojan back by the way or is it still heading off to sea ?

I'm seriously considering those telemetry units from flysky. Are they precise?

Also... By "pig tail each other" do you mean that you can you can attach like 3 of those units together and plug the first one on the IBus slot of the receiver to get all 3 working?
I've never used telemetry before, but I'm planning to add a few units in preparation for some FPV action.

Thanks in advance!