Mac Hodges crashed his giant B-29 today!

rcspaceflight

creator of virtual planes
The video made me sad. ... Until I saw the word "injurded". Then I laughed. I'm really glad no one was injurded.

Now I'm sad again because it was an epic plane. :(

Bishop

Edit: I would never put my thoughts about a real aviation accident on the net so decided it might not be appropriate on an RC accident that had so much potential for injury. Glad no one was hurt and sorry to see such a beautiful aircraft destroyed like that.

Shawn

Last edited:

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
Those aren't Jatos. That's exaust form the Gas motors. . . and I think you're looking in the right direction -- it doesn't look like his left wing was pulling like it should.

If you look at the control surfaces, he was fighting it's drift and roll from the start of roll-out, and it simply wasn't responding to the surface inputs. Something was wrong with the motors, and after it drifted off centerline, if he had aborted it would have gone into the crowd.

My sympathy to the Mac for the damage, Kudos to him for doing everything right that he could, and praise to God nobody got hurt.

Andre

Fly yes... land no.
Admin
Yep the left outer motor was not up to speed.

Top marks to the pilot but clearly the spectator line was way to close to the flight line.

SnowRocker88

Amateur pilot and builder
Something was wrong with the motors, and after it drifted off centerline, if he had aborted it would have gone into the crowd.

My sympathy to the Mac for the damage, Kudos to him for doing everything right that he could, and praise to God nobody got hurt.

THIS! Wow. Good job by him for carrying it off as far as he could. Looking forward to seeing it rebuilt and back up.

bicyclemonkey

Flying Derp
Mentor
That smoke was from the smoke oil system on the right outer engine. As you can see, the left outer engine isn't spinning as fast as the others and he's giving it full right aileron as the plane passes the camera. I know it's hindsight and it's easy for us spectators to comment, but when he saw it veering towards the pits prematurely, he should have aborted the takeoff instead of pulling back on the elevator without proper speed and therefore stalling it.

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
I dunno about that . . .

I appreciate what he's saying and the pressure we're all under, but the conversations going back-and-forth are a vital part of self-policing. What did he do wrong? right? what should have been done? what should happen in the future?

Yeah there's a lot of facts we simply don't know -- as facts come out, the informed will self-correct ignorance -- but without healthy discussions of the events (instead of closed-door reviews with the AMA), how is this better than a closed door review from the FAA in getting the community to collectively do the right thing for the right reasons?

I say if we're to continue to effectively self-police, we need to continue to do the things that make self-policing work. To stop doing these things out of fear of embarassment abdicates our abitliy to self-police to the people who are trying to take it away. rule-making and incident reviews in secret will only breed contempt for the rules, not informed adoption of best practices at the pilot level.

RAM

Posted a thousand or more times
Too close for comfort. I hope they don't setup like that again. Here come's the FAA waving video evidence in front of the AMA

RAM

Posted a thousand or more times
Oh, we got an email from our district AMA VP regarding the incedent..

That email will be used against them imo. They couldn't have phrased it worse. Where is the critical tone of the setup and safe distance of the crowd? Instead they send out a letter asking us to do our best to hide what happened? That plane crash could have been a disaster for someone on the ground. As much as I hated seeing it broken up the bigger picture should be safety not coverup.

joshuabardwell

Mentor
I know it's hindsight and it's easy for us spectators to comment, but when he saw it veering towards the pits prematurely, he should have aborted the takeoff instead of pulling back on the elevator without proper speed and therefore stalling it.

The plane was already going pretty fast by the time it started veering toward the crowd. I'm not convinced chopping the throttle would have stopped it in time. At least this way, he cleared the flight line. Maybe if he chopped, he would have been able to steer with the wheels. Dunno.

I mean, if this was a real airshow, would we be saying, "Heroic pilot experiences catastrophic engine failure and manages to avoid crashing into the crowd."

Last edited:

Techno

Sunny Day Park Flyer
I don't think that an orange plastic fence will stop a four engine gas plane at takeoff speed. I think it's safe to say that spectator safety should be improved if this should happed again.

willsonman

Builder Extraordinare
Mentor
clearly the spectator line was way to close to the flight line.

The way WOD sets up the flight line is with a staging area. All of the ez-ups it flew over are visiting pilots. This was actually only over the pits area. No spectators. I've been there a few times for this event and its sad to see. but given the situation I think he did as best he could.