Mac Hodges crashed his giant B-29 today!

rcspaceflight

creator of virtual planes
This thread got political quickly.

It is easy to over analyze this. There is an old saying that sometimes it's better to make a decision than to make the right decision. In emergencies, like this engine failure, it's best to make a quick decision and stick to it. So Mac Hodges certainly did the right thing and assuming that out comes are what really matters, then it is even more so the right decision because no one got hurt.

As far as anything concerning the FAA, it was an airshow. There are accidents at full scale airshows too. The FAA can certainly understand that. As long as all safety guidelines were followed, then no one did anything wrong. Reason always wins, it just sometimes takes a few years.

Coleman

Risk is inherent to living life, you can't legislate away danger. When standing at a flight line it's best to stay alert and take responsibility for your own safety. We can all acknowledge that some of us will be harmed while enjoying this hobby, this video certainly puts that in perspective, but in my opinion it's worth it. Glad to see everyone here managed to escape injury.

RoyBro

Mentor
I would think that it will be rebuilt. After all, it isn't the first time it's been crashed.

I wonder if the B29 weighs in at over 55lb. If so, the FAA could come after him to send a message that they're in charge and are doing something about these unsafe and illegal unmanned aircraft. :rolleyes:

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
I would think that it will be rebuilt. After all, it isn't the first time it's been crashed.

Not even his second time. That was his third B-29.

I wonder if the B29 weighs in at over 55lb.

It does, and he has a waiver. As far as the AMA is concerned, he's in compliance.

BTW, the FT review from 2011:

bitogre

Hobby King interviewed Mac Hodges the next day and released a video that talks about Mac's analysis of the crash.

Techno

Sunny Day Park Flyer
the X-1 is undeniably awesome. I watched the HK video, such a shame that a servo took down such an amazing airplane. Let's all be thankful that nobody got hurt and look forwards to the next thing Mac brings to an event.