Master Series Style IL-2

Which variant should I make?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

leaded50

Legendary member
if remove the spar, that will be a place who get weaker.. easier for wrecking at this places. 1 layer vertical/horizontal in tail can still be reinforced much by using "wing" fillets surrounding most of the root.

Ryan O.

Out of Foam Board!
Starting work on the next IL2. I'm still planning on using the canopy hatch battery if I can keep the tail weight down. I may also so something similar to the FT MIG 3 with a large removable hatch to allow for space for batteries, FPV gear, and other electronics. It would require slight reinforcement to the skin in that area, but that's a simple matter of adding a former.

Ryan O.

Out of Foam Board!
Gotta love the spline tool
Screen Shot 2020-12-13 at 3.52.16 PM.png

I'm using these plans to trace for the IL-2
1607896442439.png

Also changing to 1500mm for easier math, and since it turns out the power pack c would have been too little thrust, for even the 1400mm one.

Last edited:

Ryan O.

Out of Foam Board!
So it turns out I traced everything in 2d end extruded them while not switching from the top view. I didn't even realize that everything was an order of magnitude too small :I So instead of scaling everything I just restarted and am this far in the CAD process:
1607970690017.png

I haven't figured out how to do the top wing skin, last time I just used posterboard wrapped over the wing with the spar already built, but that was kind of complicated and I don't think it's transferable to CAD. I'm thinking of making formers in CAD which won't be used on the real plane, but those could be a way to make the wing skin.
I'm most worried about the landing gear extensions which have a complex shape, it took me quite a while to make them on the orignal IL-2. I may go with a 4-6 skin section design. On the real IL-2 part of it went over the top of the wing, which I may or may not try to make.
1607970950333.png

Ryan O.

Out of Foam Board!
I'm debating whether I'll go with a triple thick foam fuselage core for the point where the formers attach from the wing back, or if I'll go with a folded rectangular section. At the moment I'm leaning towards the triple thick foam, although I may decide with 4 layers instead of 3 since this is larger than any other master series plane built with normal thickness foam (besides the FT P-38 which has 2 tails which splits the loads) that I know of. Another reason for going with 4 layers instead of 3 is that my IL-2 broke right behind the wing when it crashed, which may be a weak spot.
1608315819395.png

above is an example of what the 3 layers of foam looks like from the FT Master Series Spitfire build video
1608315967835.png
above you can see that the fuselage broke right behind the wing, which is also where 2 fuselage skins intersect, which means it is less strong.

Ryan O.

Out of Foam Board!
any updates on plans for it id love to build one:D(y)
Currently making them as I design the IL-2. It's my first time CADing a plane that's a master series. If you would like to build one in the future, do you have a motor you want, since I'm going to make a 3d printable and a 2d CAD firewall for every motor someone wants to use on it. Any motors in this size range is good: https://www.horizonhobby.com/product/bl15-brushless-outrunner-850kv/EFLM4115.html
Basically motors larger than power pack C, but not that much larger.

FlyerInStyle

Elite member
I'm debating whether I'll go with a triple thick foam fuselage core for the point where the formers attach from the wing back, or if I'll go with a folded rectangular section. At the moment I'm leaning towards the triple thick foam, although I may decide with 4 layers instead of 3 since this is larger than any other master series plane built with normal thickness foam (besides the FT P-38 which has 2 tails which splits the loads) that I know of. Another reason for going with 4 layers instead of 3 is that my IL-2 broke right behind the wing when it crashed, which may be a weak spot.
View attachment 186565
above is an example of what the 3 layers of foam looks like from the FT Master Series Spitfire build video
View attachment 186566 above you can see that the fuselage broke right behind the wing, which is also where 2 fuselage skins intersect, which means it is less strong.
maybe tripple stick? also, maybe you should add c pack capability