"MDC" F-14 pusher build

mjcp

Hi all,

I'm mid build of an F-14 profile pusher, following the plans from RC Groups for the MDC F-14 from c. 2005->

Thought I'd pop a few pics up as i go :)

I'm building from foam board (the original plans are for 6mm depron)

the wings are a flat section, no airfoils! They have a carbon spar and pivot around the large circle in the last pic. The servo is a 9g metal gear one that I had on the shelf. alas its now stripped itself after I got some glue outside of the hinge when attaching the top deck.

Motor and power will be 2200kv running off a 1500 mAh 3s (50-70C). Control is via elavons on the tail only (with throttle and wing sweep channels)

mjcp

IMG_3238.JPG

IMG_3240.JPG

IMG_3242.JPG

mjcp

Made some more progress this evening...

Motor mounted and prop fitted. Its a *very* tight fit... it needed a little bit of foam board trimming to stop it fouling!

Got the upper deck fitted without glueing the deck to the wings this time and remembered to change the servo before fitting too... Its good to leave a note for yourself sometimes :cool:

I've run out of foam board now, but managed to squeeze a single tail out of the largest remaining bit.

mjcp

Attachments

• IMG_3246a.JPG
    IMG_3246a.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 2
  • IMG_3249.JPG
    IMG_3249.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 2
  • IMG_3247.JPG
    IMG_3247.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 3
Last edited:

jpot1

Elite member
Very interesting work. I'm curious what the "circles" are around which the wing pivots? As well anything special that you had to do when converting from the depron based plans?

Looks great!

mjcp

Very interesting work. I'm curious what the "circles" are around which the wing pivots? As well anything special that you had to do when converting from the depron based plans?

Looks great!

The pivots are just foam board, I cut out the circle and re-used the centre of the hole as the pivot. The outer edge of the hole is lined with tape to neaten up the edge.

Then there's a 1mm thick layer on top of the circles to give a slight clearance between the wing and then upper deck:

_________________________ Upper deck
......... ======== ....... 1mm Spacer
-------|V|-----------------|V|------ Wing VtapeV Pivot VtapeV Wing
_________________________ Lower deck

mjcp

Last edited:

mjcp

Time for a little colour... Air defences grey and white underside. Graphics came from a guy on RC Groups and are designed for another F-14 on there, they are kinda large but trim down fine for my purposes.

mjcp

12829418_10154586105712977_7607233715888997694_o.jpg

mjcp

Had some more time today to work on the F-14, I have re-printed the graphics at 80% this time and they look a bit more scale.

I also had a bit of time to work on the canopy too. I've opted for a simple all natural/white paper for the glass parts and black pen/paper for the Jolly Roger's black canopy outline.

mjcp

IMG_3263.JPG IMG_3264.JPG IMG_3266.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_3265.png
    IMG_3265.png
    1 MB · Views: 7

Crash and Burn RC

Geeterduuun
That is awesome!
I was thinking of building this plane, but decided not to.
I might have to try after see yours.
make sure you post a flight video!
Colin

mjcp

Maiden was a handful immediately after launch... *WAY* too much pitch input... It looked like I was some sort of 3D wiz 3-10 feet off the ground EEK!

However, I managed to get it level and pointed in the one direction to climb out and get some altitude... Then it flew great (with smaller elevator inputs from my dumb thumbs)

Next up were some high speed/low speed fly-bys and rolls then decided to sweep the wings. They worked sweeping back and roll rate was fast but controllable.

Then I tried to sweep forward but nothing happened.... Err... Uh-oh!

Managed to land it in one piece and discovered the sweep servo was stripped.

I was able to sweep it forward by hand and it was able to stay swept forward for the second flight. I dropped my rates from 80 to 60 on the elevator and all was good for flight 2!

Big grins :D

mjcp

mjcp

(sorry for the delay, new job!)

It flies great...

High alpha/low speed it can do some pretty interesting things, but NEEDS airflow over the tail to do them... With wings fwd and airflow, you have control!

Acceleration is great! launch with 3/5 or so throttle, move your thumbs and firewall it, you can go vertical in a blink.

Roll rate is fast, like a drill when wings swept, it rolls pretty true to centre with little yaw as there's no ailerons.

Pitch changes are brutal, at speed, with prop wash over the elavons, its able to do a 180 through the vertical in almost its own length! I'm a bit worried I'm going to eject the battery its that quick. (my battery is a snug fit and there's a mag hatch and hinge holding it in)

I've stripped the wing sweep servo, so I'd suggest a 15g/all metal gear mini servo for that, you may need to alter the designs slightly to fit this.

I fly it with a 1500 3s, my battery beeper goes off after 30 seconds of full power... so could do with an 1800 or 2200 ? If I ignore the beeper and reduce the full power back to cruise/play, I get a good 5 mins before the beeper comes in.

mjcp

I'm gonna build one of these when I get back from my holiday. I want to make it really fast so was going to buses a 28/36 2200 kv motor. Do you think this would fit?