Mighty Mini Master Series Spitfire

cochise99

I am looking forward to your publishing of this new design.. I am planning on replicating a civilianized MK XIVe called G-FIRE. I raced this model in The Warbird Pylon Races in Mesa AZ in 1990. It took second place in scale. I'll just do a stand off version, just to see it fly again.
A tip of the hat to you for all the hard work you put into creating these plans and instructions and willingly share the results. (the last photo is the real aircraft of course).

Attachments

• GFIRE FRONT20190427_22301518.jpg
    GFIRE FRONT20190427_22301518.jpg
    932.8 KB · Views: 0
  • GFIRE SIDE20190427_22341473.jpg
    GFIRE SIDE20190427_22341473.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 0
  • G FIRE MK 14.jpg
    G FIRE MK 14.jpg
    347.5 KB · Views: 0

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic
I am looking forward to your publishing of this new design.. I am planning on replicating a civilianized MK XIVe called G-FIRE. I raced this model in The Warbird Pylon Races in Mesa AZ in 1990. It took second place in scale. I'll just do a stand off version, just to see it fly again.
A tip of the hat to you for all the hard work you put into creating these plans and instructions and willingly share the results. (the last photo is the real aircraft of course).
Wow you raced that? That is so incredible!!! Thank you very much for the kind words!!

cochise99

Wow you raced that? That is so incredible!!! Thank you very much for the kind words!!
Yes it flew quite well and quite fast. Unfortunately it was destroyed by a rookie over rotating in the turn and removing most of my tail........
Your talent is easy to appreciate........I'll publish and give credit when I finish the model. Stay safe.

cochise99

Well.... I tried to use ink jet stick on film..... only problem is that it doesn’t print the white. :rolleyes:

I use onlinelabels.com and this product to print any labels that need a white color. Their options are many but I choose the matte weatherproof inkjet printable. You can buy small quantity or 100 sheets..........the adhesive is quite good if applied to a good clean surface.

https://www.onlinelabels.com/products/ol177?src=dlc-410

cochise99

If anyone needs a decal set for this scale, feel free to use the attached. I also attach an inkscape SVG in case you want to edit. I got the RAF fonts from here

My method is to print them onto water slide paper and then put them over white vinyl backing. The colours just dont work if you apply them direct.
Thank you.

Jase_MK

I love the look and build of this plane and put one together a few months ago, earlier in the summer. Unfortunately, I had one failed launch on the very first attempt which damaged the motor mount and give it an odd thrust angle. This resulted in a couple more even worse launch attempts and I brought it home with the motor hanging off without ever getting it into the air.

Every time I take another plane out, I look at this in the garage and wonder about fixing it up, so last night I gave it a go. Hacked the nose off, cut a hole in the foam front wall and 3D printed a power pod to slide in there. It's a touch narrower than a regular mighty mini powerpod. I considered making it out of foamboard but it would have taken up too much space where I need to put the battery.

All fixed up and ready to fly now with a new nose cone, which needs painting. Even with a massive chunk of blu-tac right up the front, it is still pretty tail heavy though (heavy UK foamboard), so I need to think of a way of adding even more weight to the nose, although I'm kind of out of space. Fingers crossed it works this time.

IMG_0140.jpg
IMG_0143.jpg
IMG_0146.jpg
IMG_0147.jpg
IMG_0148.jpg

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
I love the look and build of this plane and put one together a few months ago, earlier in the summer. Unfortunately, I had one failed launch on the very first attempt which damaged the motor mount and give it an odd thrust angle. This resulted in a couple more even worse launch attempts and I brought it home with the motor hanging off without ever getting it into the air.

Every time I take another plane out, I look at this in the garage and wonder about fixing it up, so last night I gave it a go. Hacked the nose off, cut a hole in the foam front wall and 3D printed a power pod to slide in there. It's a touch narrower than a regular mighty mini powerpod. I considered making it out of foamboard but it would have taken up too much space where I need to put the battery.

All fixed up and ready to fly now with a new nose cone, which needs painting. Even with a massive chunk of blu-tac right up the front, it is still pretty tail heavy though (heavy UK foamboard), so I need to think of a way of adding even more weight to the nose, although I'm kind of out of space. Fingers crossed it works this time.

View attachment 181788 View attachment 181789 View attachment 181790 View attachment 181791 View attachment 181792
Good luck on the re-maiden! The firewall on mine is loose and I am kinda worried about just letting glue hold omit on, especially when using 4s, so think I might follow your example and use one of the “swappable” power pods.

Aviator08

Flagstaff,AZ

Nice work! You will want to make sure to get the CG correct before you fly it or you will not be happy. :(.... ( don't ask me how I know). Then have someone else give it a good chuck into the air ,, and be ready to give it some up elevator on release. Great flying aircraft when balanced correctly. It looks so cool when in flight.

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic

View attachment 181788 View attachment 181789 View attachment 181790 View attachment 181791 View attachment 181792
That's a great solution! I personally haven't had any problems with the thrust angle, except for a nose first landing I accidentally had. It's definitely a weak point on this design. It works but it's not as reliable as a standard FT style power pod. That's why the BF109 uses a standard power pod.
Definitely make sure your cg is setup correctly, if not it's gonna come back to bite you in the butt.