Mighty Mini Master Series Spitfire

Paracodespoder

Elite member
Thanks!
You can print the full size plans on regular sheets of paper if you use Adobe Reader. All you have to do is open up the plans in Adobe Reader and select print. After the print window opens up there should be a section in the middle of the window labeled "Page Sizing & Handling" right below that there should be options to choose between "Size" "Poster" "Multiple" and "Booklet" You are going to want to select the "Poster" option. Next, ensure your tile scale is set to 100%, your overlap is set at 0.005 in. and that you have the "Tile only large pages" option selected. You can also select "Cut marks" which will make taping the sheets of paper together easier, but it will increase your page count from 8 to 12. Lastly, go down to the bottom of the print window and click print.
Note: If you do not have the poster option on your laptop you may need to upgrade to the latest version of Adobe Reader. It may even be old enough that looking in the program options for updates does not work. You will have to go to Adobe website to get new version.
One thing to note here, Mac’s can’t use adobe unless you buy a computer program, which is a little pricey.
For people with a Mac what do you suggest?
I bring it up because although we have a computer with adobe, it’s super slow to load anything (it can take upwards of 20 minutes just to get it on, download plans and get it to print). If there is a way to tile plans on a Mac that would be super helpful to know what. BTW, I can print regular, tiled plans.
(This is not a complaint, just looking for some options to make printing non-tiled plans easier 😉)

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic
One thing to note here, Mac’s can’t use adobe unless you buy a computer program, which is a little pricey.
I bring it up because although we have a computer with adobe, it’s super slow to load anything (it can take upwards of 20 minutes just to get it on, download plans and get it to print). If there is a way to tile plans on a Mac that would be super helpful to know what. BTW, I can print regular, tiled plans.
(This is not a complaint, just looking for some options to make printing non-tiled plans easier 😉)
I have no idea, see if the Mac OS has a poster type function in it's printing software. If not maybe open up a new thread on the subject.

Javiester

Elite member
inkscape has a mac version, you can import the pdfs and print them
or so I think, I don't have mac

Ketchup

4s mini mustang
With a Mac you could get doublecad, convert the file to jpg, and tile and print stuff from there. It takes quite a few steps, but that’s what I do since I already have doublecad (it’s free btw).

Sherman

I finished my Spity yesterday and flew it today! She is stable at high and low speeds, even in 15mph winds. I had a problem with the firewall ripping out on every landing, I'm thinking of adding a shortened power pod for reinforcement. Would this work?

Cycle Pilot

So, I've been flying the heck out of my mini Spitfire and I'm in love with it. I paired it with the Emax RS2205 which gives it a real power punch! The airplane absolutely screams! There are two issues I've had with it...

1) Firewall is very weak. After a couple of belly landings, the firewall starts to fail. In one case, the engine separated completely and that was after landing on grass. I rebuilt it by completely eliminating the current cross piece structure that the engine connects to. Instead, I made a square plywood firewall and mounted that directly to the back former. I then double the former up to give strength and a mounting area for the front cowling. Having the engine mounted a little further back moves the CG aft so I had to add a couple of grams of ballast to the nose. I routed the wires underneath into the electronics bay. I'll get some pictures soon. It's very solid now!

2) The other issue I was having was no cooling air for the electronics. My ESC and battery were getting VERY hot! Now keep in mind that I'm running a 35 amp ESC and pulling over 300 watts so your result may be different. I cut out a NACA vent on the bottom of the fuselage just behind the firewall. I then added two large air holes in the back of the battery box and another NACA vent on the bottom of the fuselage behind the rear former. These modifications have made a HUGE difference in cooling, and I'm not seeing the high temperatures I was seeing before.

I want to thank @Grifflyer for a great design! So much fun to fly. I may put out an updated plan with my changes if that's ok with @Grifflyer. I'm going to build another one of these since my first one is kind of a Frankenstein airplane at this point. I want to make a pretty one.

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic
So, I've been flying the heck out of my mini Spitfire and I'm in love with it. I paired it with the Emax RS2205 which gives it a real power punch! The airplane absolutely screams! There are two issues I've had with it...

1) Firewall is very weak. After a couple of belly landings, the firewall starts to fail. In one case, the engine separated completely and that was after landing on grass. I rebuilt it by completely eliminating the current cross piece structure that the engine connects to. Instead, I made a square plywood firewall and mounted that directly to the back former. I then double the former up to give strength and a mounting area for the front cowling. Having the engine mounted a little further back moves the CG aft so I had to add a couple of grams of ballast to the nose. I routed the wires underneath into the electronics bay. I'll get some pictures soon. It's very solid now!

2) The other issue I was having was no cooling air for the electronics. My ESC and battery were getting VERY hot! Now keep in mind that I'm running a 35 amp ESC and pulling over 300 watts so your result may be different. I cut out a NACA vent on the bottom of the fuselage just behind the firewall. I then added two large air holes in the back of the battery box and another NACA vent on the bottom of the fuselage behind the rear former. These modifications have made a HUGE difference in cooling, and I'm not seeing the high temperatures I was seeing before.

I want to thank @Grifflyer for a great design! So much fun to fly. I may put out an updated plan with my changes if that's ok with @Grifflyer. I'm going to build another one of these since my first one is kind of a Frankenstein airplane at this point. I want to make a pretty one.
I'm so happy to hear you've been having fun with this plane!!
That's odd that you've been having issues with your firewall popping off, mine has been rock solid except for one time when I had a pretty rough "landing." That sounds like a great cooling solution! I've noticed with the ambient temps starting to rise in MN that I need to give the electronics a few minutes to cool off in between flights, so that sounds like a great way to mitigate the rest times.
Feel free to post the updated plans!

Cycle Pilot

Here's a picture of what I did with the firewall. It's a pretty simple but effective solution. The motor wires get routed through the cutout at the bottom. I glued the back of the firewall along with the sides.

spitfirewall.jpg

Cycle Pilot

I'm so happy to hear you've been having fun with this plane!!
That's odd that you've been having issues with your firewall popping off, mine has been rock solid except for one time when I had a pretty rough "landing." That sounds like a great cooling solution! I've noticed with the ambient temps starting to rise in MN that I need to give the electronics a few minutes to cool off in between flights, so that sounds like a great way to mitigate the rest times.
Feel free to post the updated plans!

Awesome! I'll get working on some updates.

Aviator08

Flagstaff,AZ
Flew the maiden flight this morning....( no I don't have any video ) MAN! that thing is a beast! FT F radial with a 4 cell 70C 850 mAh battery. Only took a couple clicks of down trim. Not a beginner aircraft, but does it fly well! Great job Grifflyer !

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic
Flew the maiden flight this morning....( no I don't have any video ) MAN! that thing is a beast! FT F radial with a 4 cell 70C 850 mAh battery. Only took a couple clicks of down trim. Not a beginner aircraft, but does it fly well! Great job Grifflyer !
That's awesome!! I'm so glad to hear you're enjoying it!!

sh0sey

Getting closer to completion! First master series style plane I’ve built so it has been filled with mistakes, but I feel like I’ve really expanded my skill set by building this one and it has been incredibly rewarding.

Attachments

• 9E7169DB-61F8-4160-84AD-A1F3123B5734.jpeg
    9E7169DB-61F8-4160-84AD-A1F3123B5734.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0