Mini Arrow doesn't fly

d8veh

Elite member
What about mixing in a bit of up elevator with your throttle. The other solutions would be to add more upthrust or reflex.

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
What direction (from the rear of the plane) should the engine be spinning
With the numbers to the front of the plane, make the motor spin whichever way it needs to spin to push the air out the back of the plane.

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
If the plane will glide steady in level flight without motor thrust then the problem must be either the motor thrust angle OR structural weakness in the wing itself which is allowing the motor thrust to twist the wing structure causing wing geometry changes and therefore an alteration of its nominal AoA.

Have fun!

Mode 1

Hey all. In regards to my Arrow with the power issue. i've come to the conclusion that there may be another problem that's not prop related. I was able to get it airborne again today with the props that Luis recommended. Once again it barely had enough power to maintain level flight at full throttle. My Red Mini Arrow with the emax 1806 actually flies pretty well and has a bit of speed. This Mini Arrow has the RS2205s 2600kv (1021max thrust) in it on a 30a esc and 3S 850 battery. I'm starting to wonder if the ESC is bad (originally from the C power pack) or if there is something wrong with the engine.

For anyone wondering.. tonight the engine was spinning CW (if looking at it from the back) and the prop had the numbers facing the front of the plane.

This engine doesn't even sound as powerful as the 1806.. The 1806 has a bit of rasp and attitude while this RS2205s just sings a high pitch note.

I have the same ESC in my bloody wonder.. i could take that out and connect it to the RS2205s and see if it reacts any differently

Thoughts? other things I can check?

Last edited:

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
We fly a different wing at our club but we use the same motor and we found that a 5x4x3 prop really gave it a good dash of speed. You could be over propping it causing the motor to not generate its full potential.

Have fun!

Mode 1

We fly a different wing at our club but we use the same motor and we found that a 5x4x3 prop really gave it a good dash of speed. You could be over propping it causing the motor to not generate its full potential.

Have fun!

Good morning, Hai.
I've tried a standard 6x4 prop as well as a CCW 5x4 bullnose. Both props provided just enough power for level flight at full throttle. It's really weird.

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
Just a thought, ESCs normally have a timing setting which defaults to AUTO. Sometimes auto gets it wrong in which case you need to consult the operating and programming instructions that came with it and reprogram it to Fast or Slow which ever is better for you and the motors operating speed/power. I am sure that others can give a better description and I have only had to do it once BUT I went and bought a programmer for my ESCs.

have fun!

Mode 1

Just a thought, ESCs normally have a timing setting which defaults to AUTO. Sometimes auto gets it wrong in which case you need to consult the operating and programming instructions that came with it and reprogram it to Fast or Slow which ever is better for you and the motors operating speed/power. I am sure that others can give a better description and I have only had to do it once BUT I went and bought a programmer for my ESCs.

have fun!

After yesterday and the consistent, chronic, underpowered flights i'm starting to think it's the ESC. This particular ESC is the one that came with the "C" power pack. I'll go see if I have that instruction sheet.

Thanks.

Mode 1

I'm not sure if this video will help (particularly with no prop) but thought i'd post it anyway. This was taken after recalibrating the ESC. Can you guys tell by sound if you think this is reaching it's max power?

lrussi750

Rogue Pilot
Mentor
I'm not sure if this video will help (particularly with no prop) but thought i'd post it anyway. This was taken after recalibrating the ESC. Can you guys tell by sound if you think this is reaching it's max power?

Something is not right, the motor should be spinning a lot faster than it is.

Mode 1

Something is not right, the motor should be spinning a lot faster than it is.
Luis. Thank you for the reply. That's kind of what I was thinking.

Tonight i'm going to swap this ESC with the one in my Bloody Wonder and see if the motor responds differently. If not, could a poor solder job cause an issue like this?

lrussi750

Rogue Pilot
Mentor
Luis. Thank you for the reply. That's kind of what I was thinking.

Tonight i'm going to swap this ESC with the one in my Bloody Wonder and see if the motor responds differently. If not, could a poor solder job cause an issue like this?

A bad solder joint could cause an issue but I think the issue lays elsewhere. Try changing out the esc and see if that helps. That motor should rip on a fully charged pack. Double check your battery as well to make sure its at full voltage and that you don't have a damaged cell. I like Tattu batteries but I had two recently with bad cells, turning a 4s into a 3s.

Mode 1

I think it's safe to say the power issue has been resolved. I swapped the ESC for the one in my Bloody Wonder and well... I don't think she will be struggling to maintain level flight. Now, after all the abuse this wing has taken, I just hope she doesn't fall apart in mid-air ;) I hope to get her in the air in the next couple of days weather permitting. i'll have video rolling to capture either sheer destruction or the joy of flying.

Mode 1

I might add that this was the first FT plane I built and I built this entire wing inside out.. I folded the wings the wrong way and it still files amazingly!