Mini Scout is Brilliant.

basslord1124

Master member
Keep me posted on that bank and yank Scout you are working on. I'm seeing so many people adding ailerons to the Mini. I would like to see how you are making it happen. Are you building it now or is it still in the brainbox phase?

Just had a sweet maiden on mine. Waiting for the video to download from phone to the laptop, will post soon.

It is still in build phase...wing and fuse are constructed. Still need to cut ailerons, install servos/electronics, etc. I did a 4 channel version before BUT it seemed to have had little issues from day 1. In the end, it was a decent little flyer, but aileron control wasn't what I was expecting.

For this one, I am going to make them bigger and take out of the dihedral in the wing. I'm hoping that will help.

Gazoo

But it kind of is in my backyard with a house on the other side...
I usually tie a rope around a roll of duct tape and throw it into the tree. The tape roll doesn't stick in the branches and falls out. Then I can grab both sides of the rope and yank the branches around til the plane falls down.

Kind of hard to explain why I always have rope and duct tape in the trunk though...

OliverW

Legendary member
I usually tie a rope around a roll of duct tape and throw it into the tree. The tape roll doesn't stick in the branches and falls out. Then I can grab both sides of the rope and yank the branches around til the plane falls down.

Kind of hard to explain why I always have rope and duct tape in the trunk though...
We tried doing the fishing pole trick with a whole bunch of weight on one side and the tree was moving like crazy but the plane wasn't.

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Finally got the Mini Scout maiden downloaded... remember this is only my 2nd successful flight, ever. over a dozen planes and finally found one that I can fly lol. Check it out:

It did take some trimming of coarse, and for me to learn how to trim to some extent. I got it calmed down after awhile but the end was the most rewarding. I do have a second flight video of the same plane where I was getting into doin loops... it's still in the download process right now.

Thank you to all of you that have helped in this crazy learning curve of mine. I look forward to more to come.

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Just took her out again tonight, to a different park. The kids wanted to go fishing so there is this park by the river, kind of a tighter space surrounded by thick trees and bush. Needless to say I was extra focused, stayed slow and just practiced keepin it in the boundries. Definitely getting better, holding turns, getting used to the wind and practicing landings. Did have a couple crashes, first was early on into the gravel parking lot. Pushed the power pod back a bit, straightened it out some, checked my C.R.A.P. and carried on. Got a decent flight in and ended with a light controlled crash into a sapling in the middle of the park but broke the prop. Still had a second battery so went to change the prop and battery but I couldn't spin the nut off the front of the motor. Noticed that my first crash in the parking lot damaged the threads on the shaft. End of session. Got home and cut the broken prop off the shaft, filed down the damaged threads, used a tap and die set to fix the threads on the shaft and nut and wanted to test the motor. Hooked up the ESC and motor to a servo tester and battery like I have before and fried my ESC lol... go figure. Time to order another... and wait time as well. LOVE THIS HOBBY

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
Just took her out again tonight, to a different park. The kids wanted to go fishing so there is this park by the river, kind of a tighter space surrounded by thick trees and bush. Needless to say I was extra focused, stayed slow and just practiced keepin it in the boundries. Definitely getting better, holding turns, getting used to the wind and practicing landings. Did have a couple crashes, first was early on into the gravel parking lot. Pushed the power pod back a bit, straightened it out some, checked my C.R.A.P. and carried on. Got a decent flight in and ended with a light controlled crash into a sapling in the middle of the park but broke the prop. Still had a second battery so went to change the prop and battery but I couldn't spin the nut off the front of the motor. Noticed that my first crash in the parking lot damaged the threads on the shaft. End of session. Got home and cut the broken prop off the shaft, filed down the damaged threads, used a tap and die set to fix the threads on the shaft and nut and wanted to test the motor. Hooked up the ESC and motor to a servo tester and battery like I have before and fried my ESC lol... go figure. Time to order another... and wait time as well. LOVE THIS HOBBY
All seems pretty normal flying and crashing until you burned out the esc. Just ordering another won't fix it. Assuming you hooked everything up correctly, then your motor burned the esc. If you haven't any shorts in the connections, it's time to get an inspection light and magnifying glass and see what's going on inside the motor. If you hit hard enough that you had to re-thread the motor shaft, then it's not unlikely you seriously damaged the motor elsewhere.

It'd be a shame to get the new esc in, and burn it up as well.

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
All seems pretty normal flying and crashing until you burned out the esc. Just ordering another won't fix it. Assuming you hooked everything up correctly, then your motor burned the esc. If you haven't any shorts in the connections, it's time to get an inspection light and magnifying glass and see what's going on inside the motor. If you hit hard enough that you had to re-thread the motor shaft, then it's not unlikely you seriously damaged the motor elsewhere.

It'd be a shame to get the new esc in, and burn it up as well.
It could be that I just hooked it up wrong to test it. I connected the battery up to the ESC via TX30 connection and then used the balance lead from the same battery to power the servo tester on the input side. When I hooked up the throttle wires to the output side of the tester is when it smoked the wires... maybe over voltage somehow. from the outside it looks like the wires took the heat. If I take the shrink tubing off the ESC and inspect the inside could it just be the wires that need to be replaced? If so I could sacrifice a servo extension to fix it? Best case scenario

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Here we got the 2nd flight vid from last night... why do these take so long to get onto YouTube. Took 4 hours to download an 8 min vid. Is that normal? Anyways enough whining, back to business...

basslord1124

Master member
It could be that I just hooked it up wrong to test it. I connected the battery up to the ESC via TX30 connection and then used the balance lead from the same battery to power the servo tester on the input side. When I hooked up the throttle wires to the output side of the tester is when it smoked the wires... maybe over voltage somehow. from the outside it looks like the wires took the heat. If I take the shrink tubing off the ESC and inspect the inside could it just be the wires that need to be replaced? If so I could sacrifice a servo extension to fix it? Best case scenario

The only thing I can think of is maybe you hooked the balance connector up wrong to the tester. It only takes 2 wires from the balance connector to run the servo tester. If that is the case, it may have fried the tester too.