Mini Telemaster Kit-Bashing

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Damaged, but not destroyed! The fuselage should be a fairly easy fix and the wing doesn't look too bad either. I'll bet if the wing were held on by rubber bands the damage would be less, although I always prefer the bolt-on style.

Yeah, I was thinking that about the wing too. This is just the pain I'll go through for fashionable bolt on wings though :D

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Started putting little sticks together over a rare lunch break where I got to run home from work.

The approach for most of the broken pieces where the remaining parts are still in place still is to glue up a sister brace along the existing one - thus all the clamps.

20180710_131214-1024x576.jpg

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Fuselage repairs finished and ready for recovering...

20180711_003330-800x450.jpg

And fixing the wing... gluing new strips of balsa along both sides of the remaining part of the rib connected to the servo mounting bay...
20180710_210133-800x450.jpg

Busy picture here - this is holding in the replacement spar section as well as the other two ribs that you can see were also repaired by adding extra balsa strips on the sides. I could have just cut new ribs and tried to match the shape of the old ones, but this was a little easier. There are also additional triangle support gussets along the trailing edge where it meets the ribs too.
20180710_214649-800x450.jpg

Sheer webbing reinstalled, leading edge reinforcements added, and ready for covering here too.
20180711_002651-800x450.jpg

SlingShot

Maneuvering With Purpose
Nice job all around Rockyboy! Tough break on the disorientation. Looks like your repair shop does first class work! :cool:

Last edited:

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
@rockyboy ,
I just found this thread, and have been reading through. Very Excellent Documentation, and I fully expect to reference it for nuggets and tid-bits when I start my first Balsa Build. Right now, I'm just skimming.

I will admit I had a less-than-kind thought when I saw your color scheme.
The late 70's called, they want their paint schemes back.

Seriously though, you did I great job with it. and it gives me some Ideas.

I think Caldor used the scheme, as did a number of clothes my brothers or I had worn. :ROFLMAO:

This is the best Wind model or stress test model I've seen. (as a Structural Eng. I see more than most.) Where do you find such joyous things?
*Followed*

FoamyDM

Now I'm caught up. Great Maiden. Very excited for you. and what do you expect from hot doggin' it. glad it is back up and ready for flight! I bet this scheme is easy to track not matter the sky conditions.

Have fun, and next time post the hot dog maneuvers.

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
@rockyboy
I just found this thread, and have been reading through. Very Excellent Documentation, and I fully expect to reference it for nuggets and tid-bits when I start my first Balsa Build. Right now, I'm just skimming.

I will admit I had a less-than-kind thought when I saw your color scheme.

Seriously though, you did I great job with it. and it gives me some Ideas.

I think Caldor used the scheme, as did a number of clothes my brothers or I had worn. :ROFLMAO:

This is the best Wind model or stress test model I've seen. (as a Structural Eng. I see more than most.) Where do you find such joyous things?
*Followed*

@rockyboy

Thanks!

@rockyboy

Not a chance - I have a hard time coming up with paint scheme ideas and I'm keeping with anything that looks halfway decent! :p

And Caldor! Didn't they go bankrupt 20 years ago? :unsure: Maybe it was the color schemes :p

@rockyboy

Since I become the local RC club president, I found I needed to keep up with new product releases and RC news, so I started checking my facebook account a couple times a week for fun stuff, rather than once per year. Most of the stuff that comes up isn't worth mentioning, but sometimes a goodie shows up :D

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Now I'm caught up. Great Maiden. Very excited for you. and what do you expect from hot doggin' it. glad it is back up and ready for flight! I bet this scheme is easy to track not matter the sky conditions.

Have fun, and next time post the hot dog maneuvers.

She does fly great! I haven't gone back to trying inverted since I put her back together - figure more practice with the FT planes would be a good idea :D

And yeah - that's my primary concern with a color scheme - orientation. This one is a winner on that score!

FoamyDM

And Caldor! Didn't they go bankrupt 20 years ago? :unsure: Maybe it was the color schemes :p

Since I become the local RC club president, I found I needed to keep up with new product releases and RC news, so I started checking my facebook account a couple times a week for fun stuff, rather than once per year. Most of the stuff that comes up isn't worth mentioning, but sometimes a goodie shows up :D

CRavatar.0.jpg

congratulation/condolances... That's pretty cool in my book on the club pres.

She does fly great! I haven't gone back to trying inverted since I put her back together - figure more practice with the FT planes would be a good idea :D

And yeah - that's my primary concern with a color scheme - orientation. This one is a winner on that score!
You have a solid plan s a great color scheme there don't let fools like me tell you otherwise. I'd have likely suggested you can go again at 1 mistake high. just like your sub conscience. Your plan is a solid one as you know.

CMS_1961

CMS_1961
Hopefully this will not offend you guys actually building the Telemaster from wood, cause it is a great kit! Had one years ago and decided to build this Super Telemaster bash from all DTFB. It is a great flyer and very light with a 9 foot wing span! I fly it on a 3 cell 5200 mah battery. Just wanted to show that it makes a great foam flyer as well!!

Super Telemaster_1.jpg Super Telemaster_2.jpg

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Hopefully this will not offend you guys actually building the Telemaster from wood, cause it is a great kit! Had one years ago and decided to build this Super Telemaster bash from all DTFB. It is a great flyer and very light with a 9 foot wing span! I fly it on a 3 cell 5200 mah battery. Just wanted to show that it makes a great foam flyer as well!!

View attachment 128449 View attachment 128450

That looks great! :D

Did you work from a set of plans as the base, or just eyeball it?